Question About Monorail Playsets.

Hello, everyone! I recently got into collecting monorails (both the diecast and plastic versions) and I would like to collect all color variations. So if anyone has any they would like to sell, that is still "new in original box" please let me know! Thank you

I've continues to try to collect all the plastic ones and I'll say - it is tough find any new in box. You also have to be careful to not get taken for a ride on the price. Some people overvalue these models so much that it is insane. The craziest I've seen so far is the Disneyland Mark VII going for over $300, when you can buy it new for $80 (when it is available).

I've continues to try to collect all the plastic ones and I'll say - it is tough find any new in box. You also have to be careful to not get taken for a ride on the price. Some people overvalue these models so much that it is insane. The craziest I've seen so far is the Disneyland Mark VII going for over $300, when you can buy it new for $80 (when it is available).

Yeah I've noticed that most have been played with or have been put on display, and some even yellowing. But I have been fortunate to find and buy the black, yellow, orange, red, and blue monorails as well as the current orange Disneyland monorail.

I have bought some with the yellowing issue and even seen discoloration on the beam pieces. On one the battery cover was not yellowed but the monorail shell was, different plastic? And yeah, prices are all over the place, "rare, limited edition, hard to find...". ;)

Does any one know why they no longer carrying any of the accessories in the parks? Starting very late in the game. Ebay has some retired sets going for 500.00 a piece. I don't know if it's worth it.

I've been eyeing some of the retired sets, but I just can't justify spending that much money for sets that were probably $50 originally and are nothing more than a few panels of plastic snapped together. Be careful with some items like the AK Tree. Some will claim it is discontinued and not available, but they are still in the parks to purchase (sometimes on the app as well).

At some point it will be cost-effective to 3D print some of these retired buildings. Another good option is the paper models with some 3D printed details (like the wrought iron railings on Main St. Station).

Last edited:
At some point it will be cost-effective to 3D print some of these retired buildings. Another good option is the paper models with some 3D printed details (like the wrought iron railings on Main St. Station).
As simple a structure as the Poly is, I certainly hope some one will repop it.

For those not on the Facebook group, here is a video my son shot of Orange running with the upgrade lighting, motor, and upgraded rear cab audio (triggered by magnets inside the beam).
I then went *really* nuts on the buildings.

BTW bob, I don’t remember if I ever asked... do you have a Contemporary?

I’m also hoping someone will make 3D files available for the actual Epcot station.

As simple a structure as the Poly is, I certainly hope some one will repop it.

For those not on the Facebook group, here is a video my son shot of Orange running with the upgrade lighting, motor, and upgraded rear cab audio (triggered by magnets inside the beam).
I then went *really* nuts on the buildings.

*That's* the monorail set that Disney should have made! Fortunately Disney sells us the basics so we can make it good. Great work! :)

BTW bob, I don’t remember if I ever asked... do you have a Contemporary?

I’m also hoping someone will make 3D files available for the actual Epcot station.

I have a Contemporary that I plan to use for my N scale monorails, two beams alongside each other like the real one.

Oh my goodness. This is the problem. I read all of this and realized there is so much more out there than the monorail set. I know if I bought the monorail I will want all of the rest! I didn't realize there was a whole underground Disney play set world out there!

@I know if I bought the monorail I will want all of the rest!@

Buy it! And then we will show you the true power of the dark side (and accessories)! :) Such as:

I have never posted on this board. About 12 years ago I got the bug and collected every one of these toys including the rare disneyana black box monorail, epcot and contemporary, all the main street pieces including christmas tree, all the hasboro additional pieces, trains big and small, all the disneyland and wdw pieces, the haunted mansion big fig, and the (my favorite fantasyland big fig), and the rarest of all prototype of Disneyland ho upgraded railroad used to pitch the idea to disney including a mocked up box and a second set. When I purchased the railroad it was the only one in existence. Don't know if someone else has done one but this is the original. Very detailed and beautiful much more than original one even though that one was nice. Had purchased everything to set up a very large room for grandchildren. Have one grandson and the father has banned him from seeing our family so all of these remain in attic and have never even been opened. Good luck with all your collecting, but enjoy them now and share and let the little ones play with them even if they are expensive to purchase. The true value is seeing the little faces light up enjoying these.

I have never posted on this board. About 12 years ago I got the bug and collected every one of these toys including the rare disneyana black box monorail, epcot and contemporary, all the main street pieces including christmas tree, all the hasboro additional pieces, trains big and small, all the disneyland and wdw pieces, the haunted mansion big fig, and the (my favorite fantasyland big fig), and the rarest of all prototype of Disneyland ho upgraded railroad used to pitch the idea to disney including a mocked up box and a second set. When I purchased the railroad it was the only one in existence. Don't know if someone else has done one but this is the original. Very detailed and beautiful much more than original one even though that one was nice. Had purchased everything to set up a very large room for grandchildren. Have one grandson and the father has banned him from seeing our family so all of these remain in attic and have never even been opened. Good luck with all your collecting, but enjoy them now and share and let the little ones play with them even if they are expensive to purchase. The true value is seeing the little faces light up enjoying these.
Wow ! Have you ever thought of selling them? So sad that you can’t see your grandson. Heart wrenching

I had thought of selling but I have enough stuff to fill a large passenger van, not just a mini van. By the way great job on your contemporary, my favorite is the home made diy stuff. I had bought a roller coaster and was going to build a paper mache' matterhorn, but border line obsessive. Fun hobby and meet lots of terrific people. Had a trading partner in Florida and I am on the west coast. Don't know which of us was worse or if equal. About 10 years ago it sure was fun collecting though.

My 4 year old is a monorail enthusiast....seriously. We have custom monorail sheets for his bed, monorail artwork on the walls and the monorail itself takes up the majority of his bedroom floor. He has two monorails (blue and orange), the Contemporary, the Grand Floridian, the Ticket and Transportation Center and Spaceship Earth. For Christmas this year, he's asked Santa for the Polynesian :oops:… I very casually mentioned that the Polynesian isn't sold anymore so it might be really hard for Santa to find it. He said "That's okay, Santa's elves will make a new one. They can make any toy!" He has his heart dead set on getting this thing and I'm striking out on eBay! The last new one that was sold on eBay was within my price range and I missed it because I was in the middle of a conference call with my manager at work and wasn't quick enough. Does anyone know of any other forum or other resource for monorail collectors where I could see if someone had an extra they'd be willing to sell? Currently, there's one on eBay that is bundled with a monorail, Contemporary, Spaceship earth and a box of extra track, all in used condition - the seller is asking for $6k (!!!) I've already tried reaching out and asking if they'd be willing to sell me just the Poly and the answer was no, they don't want to separate the items. I'm resigned to spending about $325, but it needs to be in useable condition because he does actually play with them.

There is a Facebook group for Disney Inspired Models and Prototypes that may know where you can find one. Blame Disney, for copyrighting the Polynesian so Santa's elves can't make a copy? ;)

Does anyone have any more information about theach Silver Disneyana monorail set? I can't even find a picture online haha I've been trying to hunt one down.

the silver with red stripe Disneyana monorail does exist. I have it along with the LE silver and red Spaceship Earth and Contemporary. The monorail is LE of 250 and unfortunately the red stripe paint has started to chip over the years. I am having trouble uploading the pics

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!