Question: airfare to Europe

Ronda93

DIS Veteran
We have never traveled outside the US, but we're ready to try DLP in the spring. We're considering flying Kansas City to London (Heathrow). From there we'd mosey to the chunnel and make it to Paris.

For the questions...

Is Heathrow the best choice?

If I try to book MCI to LHR on Travelocity it comes up around $550. If I book two legs separately (MCI/JFK, JFK/LHR) they combine for $390. If I book separate flights I am responsible for retrieving and rechecking my bags at JFK, right?

Any international travel advice would be welcome.

My first question would be that if you are only going to DLP, why don't you fly into Paris? If I was just doing Paris I would fly into CDG (Charles DeGalle in Paris). However, I hope that you are going to see other things while you are in Europe!!! I love Disney, but I think both Paris and London are wonderful cities and I would skip Disney for them any day!!!

Anyway, back to the subject. Yes, if you book one ticket to JFK and one ticket to London you will have to claim you luggage and recheck it. Also, if your first flight is late the airlines won't automatically rebook you and could even cancel your international segments (if you don't board) so leave yourself LOTS of time in JFK if you do this! (I probably would not do it!)

Have you looked into flying from DFW, Atlanta or Cinn.? All of these airports are a little less congested for international flights then JFK. Also, what airline are you flying?

Since you don't give dates it is hard to say if you are getting a good airfare, but I have been watching flights into Paris and they are running about $500. This is a little higher than last winter's sales, but....

I've also looked at Chicago. We're planning to spend time in London as well. Maybe a train to Switzerland, too.

We've got some vouchers for American so they're getting preference, but convenience may win in the end.

This is very preliminary... thanks for the tips.

my suggestion would be to look into booking open jaw flights to/from the States.

i.e. fly into London... then fly home from Paris or Switzerland.

this is what we did this past spring, and it really does save a lot of time. you don't have to waste time backtracking to London.

especially if you're thinking of travelling south to Switzerland.
(btw Switzerland is far from London or Paris, it would definitely be an all-day or overnight train ride. you could also look into saving time to/from Switzerland by flying on the low-cost airlines such as Ryanair, easyJet, Virgin Express, or buzz. we flew Ryanair to do a hop from Italy to Belgium and they were great and extremely affordable)

feel free to PM me if you have other questions about Europe travel.

I did Paris to Zurich on an overnight train a few years ago. It was fine, but pack light! (I was in "coach" and there was not a lot of luggage space, maybe it is better in "first class").

I agree with the previous poster. Fly into one city and out of the other. Why waste your vacation time commuting to airports!

If you are looking to do this on a budget, may I suggest you check out Rick Steves' website. Some of the hints and suggestions are too cheap for me, but I have gotten some good info there. www.ricksteves.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter