Question For Those Who Didn’t Enjoy Universal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
For all those who didn’t enjoy Universal and have stayed at both US & Disney, just curious what you didn’t like about Universal? What about Disney won you over? I’ve heard so many pros, but I feel like I have not heard as many cons.

We are going in January to Disney and were planning to stay one night at RPR and do 2 days at Universal. I started to compare resort costs and found myself wondering why we’re staying at both? Universal is far less expensive for a much nicer accommodation and unlimited EP. That said, we loved our Disney stay at the Poly and it was so magical that I’m worried we will regret staying our entire week at US just to save a bit on the hotel. I also don’t think there is enough there to keep us entertained for a week, and there is still more we want to do at Disney that we didn’t have time to do the first trip (Boardwalk, dinner shows, Epcot world showcase, etc.). I’m also a bit worried our boys are still young for US (they will be 9 when we go). We tried to watch the Mummy with them and didn’t get through 5 minutes of the movie because they were so scared. Perhaps a day or two to try it out our first time would be best? Ugh . I feel like I’m losing my mind trying to decide.

All of the motion simulator rides really do a number on me at Universal. I get motion sickness on many of the Universal rides. My kids are also too small or too scared for the bigger roller coasters.

Even still, I can’t wait to pop some Bonnie and spend some time at Universal on my next trip in 2019. The Harry Potter lands make it worthwhile in of themselves and are incredible, even if you aren’t a huge Harry Potter fan. There are some fun shows, too.

I agree the hotel prices are better at universal for what you get and express pass is MUCH better than FP. Both parks have their pros and cons.

Maybe split your time between Disney and Universal if you think your family won’t be as into Universal.

We’re spending 1 or 2 days at Universal onsite with 6 days at Disney onsite there on our next trip. This will work best for my family since there is more we want to do at Disney, but still want to take advantage of the proximity and express pass from staying onsite at Universal. FWIW, this will be my kids’ third time at Universal (between Orlando and Hollywood). They will be 8 and 6.

It usually is a lot cheaper to stay at one place over the other since short stays are the most expensive. We love UO so not exactly your target response, but the thing we do miss not staying at Disney are the EMH and the ability to book things earlier- however for us that’s still totally worth staying at UO just a con we live with. We have stayed a week at UO and taken 2 days to drive over to Disney with no regrets. Between all he pools, parks, and Citywalk, plus our side trip there is plenty for us to do.

Every kid is different but 9 was a great age for my son at UO. They can ride just about everything and the attractions are right up at 9 year olds interests.

I’m not who you’re asking, but...

I’m also a bit worried our boys are still young for US (they will be 9 when we go).

Are they tall enough to be able to ride a bunch? My son refused to do Mummy for ages. Didn’t matter. There was a ton of other stuff to do. We started going when he was 6.5 years old. He’s had a great time every time. Even in 2016 when we visited during the summer and his arm was in a cast.

Our first stay at Uni was something like 3 nights and it involved two partial and two full days. The partials were from traveling from and back to Disney. We left wanting more.

We are Disney people for sure, but we did enjoy the Universal trip we took a few weeks ago. I don't think there is enough there to keep us entertained for a week though. We did three days and felt like that was more than enough time for us. We stayed at RPR, so having the EP makes a big difference I think. The hotel was nice, but I did miss having a balcony like we do when we stay at Disney.

The main deal breaker for me with Universal is the amount of simulator rides. I don't do well on those and there were just a lot of rides I did only once because I just felt crappy afterwards (even with dramamine).

If I were you, I would do a split stay and stay a day or two at Universal and the rest at Disney.

I don't like "big" roller coasters. EE is big enough for me. So anything bigger than that, I'm not interested.

We, as a family, aren't interested in Harry Potter, or the Minnons. Transformers lost us with their 4th movie.

And my husband can barely stand Star Tours. Too many of that kind of ride there.

Just too many rides there that we aren't interested in.

I mainly go to Universal for the hotels and the convenience. They don't have the best rides in my opinion, but they make up for it in other areas. The hotels at Universal blow Disney out of the water and I am a Disney World fanatic. Also, getting from park to park is so much easier. The rides are not the best for those with weak stomachs though.

Not your target audience here, but on trips where I do Disney and Universal, I actually move hotels during my stay. I like being close to where I am for the day, whenever possible.

My kiddo was 8 when we visited Universal as a family for the first time. This was a great age! She has always been average height for her age, and she could ride everything except the biggest coasters. Nothing that she rode - except Dr. Doom's Freefall - was too scary. The Mummy is one of our favorites - I bet she rode it 5 times that trip! I am sure your boys will find plenty that they love.

Which one does everyone suggest we do first? Disney or Universal? My husband hates to resort hop, but I’m trying to convince him to end at Universal since we can’t do RAC with Magical Express when we depart anyway.

Start at Disney then move to UO

Parks at UO are close together and can easily be walked in under ten minutes

No busses or cars needed to go from
the studios to IOA

If you take in Volcano Bay water park, shuttle busses are quick

I start with Disney and stay onsite
Busy the entire time
Park hopping is an acquired skill

I relocate to the Loews hotels and have a slower relaxed pace

I break my park time partial days for city walk meals

Do like that mini golf and the cinema at cw are close to the parks
Not much down time involved then

So true for me
Fast pass takes planning and time to set up usually

Express is simple and no preplanning
Just walk to the ep lines for the rides and shows

I don't like "big" roller coasters. EE is big enough for me. So anything bigger than that, I'm not interested.

We, as a family, aren't interested in Harry Potter, or the Minnons. Transformers lost us with their 4th movie.

And my husband can barely stand Star Tours. Too many of that kind of ride there.

Just too many rides there that we aren't interested in.
Similar opinion here. Universal is just more of the same for us. Lots of simulators. Harry Potter theming is good, but the rest of the parks just seem badly done to us. We aren’t into giant coasters and are looking for good story telling and immersion. Universal doesn’t deliver on that.

People say the hotels are better, but I don’t see it. Could be that I’m staying in one and two bedrooms at Disney and regular deluxe hotel rooms at Universal, but the Universal rooms are nothing special. I’ve stayed in much nicer, with better service elsewhere in the world.

We were done after two days at Universal and won’t be back.

I agree with macraven. Just do a split stay. Do WDW then move over to Universal.

I did this for a few years with the grandchildren. Now we go exclusively to Universal and have done that for a number of years. My grandchildren are older now and prefer Universal over WDW.

We are usually at Universal 10 days or more. We never tire of the laid back vibe there. We have plenty to do with the Parks, Hotel Pools, CityWalk etc.

No matter what you choose. Have a great time pixiedust:

I like to do Universal last because it is a slower pace.

Totally agree !

When I do Disney, I plan in advance, , make dining reservations about 5 months out, and set up a schedule of which park to be in each day, figure out strategies on what fp rides to book, etc

I treat it as a job.

Don't get me wrong as I do enjoy the motherland a lot but it takes a lot of my time to plan everything out months before even there.
I park hop and do the parks for early morning until they close in the evening.
I go prepared and have fun but I dread the rushing to a set schedule.

When I transfer over to the UO hotels, it is the opposite.
No preplanning once I book the room, flight and transportation.

I treat this portion of my trip as a laid back vacation.
I do things at the spur of the moment, and sleep in each morning.
With the hotel ep, I won't have long ride line waits.

I can hop back and forth in the two parks easily.
Walking to City Walk for an eatery, does not take a lot of time.

I come back home refreshed when I do UO after WDW.

Every kid is different. Mine just turned 9 and watched the Mummy with me when he was 8. That was the new version, not the older funny versions which IMHO are much better. He's also watched all the Fast and Furious and pretty much everything at Universal. We did Disney 3 years in a row. I love Disney but the planning in advance and having to be on a tight schedule with no way to avoid stupid long lines has done me in. I'm going to Universal to relax and not have to schedule everything. The other thing to remember is there are a number of rides at universal that the kids will outgrow if you wait too long as well.

For all those who didn’t enjoy Universal and have stayed at both US & Disney, just curious what you didn’t like about Universal? What about Disney won you over? I’ve heard so many pros, but I feel like I have not heard as many cons.

We are going in January to Disney and were planning to stay one night at RPR and do 2 days at Universal. I started to compare resort costs and found myself wondering why we’re staying at both? Universal is far less expensive for a much nicer accommodation and unlimited EP. That said, we loved our Disney stay at the Poly and it was so magical that I’m worried we will regret staying our entire week at US just to save a bit on the hotel. I also don’t think there is enough there to keep us entertained for a week, and there is still more we want to do at Disney that we didn’t have time to do the first trip (Boardwalk, dinner shows, Epcot world showcase, etc.). I’m also a bit worried our boys are still young for US (they will be 9 when we go). We tried to watch the Mummy with them and didn’t get through 5 minutes of the movie because they were so scared. Perhaps a day or two to try it out our first time would be best? Ugh . I feel like I’m losing my mind trying to decide.

Interested to see your replies re doing Universal last. DH and I were planning a split stay next time but going to do it first. I just don't think I could leave Disney, still be in the same city but not be there, if that makes sense. :( Whereas if we do USF first, we know we have Disney still to come. Plus we thought if we were going to do USF eyeballs out, best to do it before we're the walking dead after 10 days at WDW! :crutches:However after seeing your comments, now not sure what to do. We have fallen in love with Cabana Bay as seen on Tim Trackers Youtube vlogs so want to stay there-maybe as you say, a nice relaxing break at the end of the holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter