• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question??

Anne MN

DIS Veteran
It has been so long since anyone I know has had strep, I forgot a few things.

everyone in the house has strep now.

DD's tonsels are still very large, I thought that when you are on antibiotics that the swelling would go down. They are still huge after almost a full course of antibiotics. Does this sound right?

It was a "new" experience to have strep again!! have not had it since I was in 6th grade.

She feels better. throat is a little scratchy, no coughing. feels a lot better than before seeing the DR and getting antibiotics.

I just can't remember how I felt, it has been a loooong time since i had strep.

SueM in MN said:
How are his other symptoms?
Sorry. Thanks for the report on her symptoms.
If her tonsils are just swollen and she was able to take all the antibiotics without problems, it's probably OK since the other symptoms are much better. If the tonsils are red (or any other color that doesn't look like the rest of her mouth) and/or there is any pus, then you should call the doctor's office back.
Her throat might still be a little scratchy because it's still swollen, but if it's really scratchy still, you should call the doctor. Also, if this is your DD with the heart problem, I'd be real cautious and call the doctor, if only to get your mind at ease.
And if any of the other symptoms come back, call without waiting for more.

Thanks Sue-

I plan to have a talk with the Ped. it is her twin that has the huge tonsels.

this is the 2nd year that her throat has started this, it is a little sooner this year. she had swollen tonsels all winter last year. I will talk with him about having them removed. she should not have to go thru going to the Dr ever 2 weeks. I know that they don't like to take them out anymore (at least that is what I have been told) but with the weather icky and we are now 45 min away from ped and 1+ hour away from the hospital, not a good mix if it is icy or snowing hard. I think her Ped will give us the referal for it, her usually goes along with things (I talk to him alot about other DD).

You may want to talk to doc about her adnoids, too. My daughter went through the same thing when she was little. We were fortunate enough to find a good peds doc that told us to talk to an ENT doc about removing adnoids. She told me that the adnoids caused the tonsil problem. My daughter's tonsils were always huge and infected. The ENT doc put in PE tubes and one fell out after a few months and the problems began again. We moved to Turkey a few months after that and my daughter was treated by a Turkish ENT doc that was contracted by the military. He offered to remove her tonsils and "see how it goes" and I asked him about doing all 3 surgeries (PE tubes placed again, tonsilectomy, & adnoidectomy). I didn't want my daughter to continue going through PE tube placement surgeries, and each of the other 2 surgeries after "wait & see" periods. He agreed & performed all 3 surgeries at the same time. All 3 had a quick recovery period & she was up & about within 2 days like nothing ever happened. Best decision I'd ever made regarding her medical care! She was 4 yrs old when the surgeries were done and has been well for the most part - ever since (she is now 13). Prior to that, she went through several ear infections, tons of "bubble gum" pink antibiotics, other sulfa antibiotics, ruptured ear drum, language & speech therapy because of frequent ear infections affecting her hearing during developemental years, and lots of time off work for me because she was so sick so frequently & for so long.

I am going to talk to her Ped on monday. Got home about 30 min ago from urgent care with DD. HAS STREP AGAIN! Her tonsels are so big that the only space you can see in her throat is the top above the hangy thing in the back of your throat. (I know there is a correct name for it, but I can't remember it :confused3 )

I hope that she recovers fast. That strep is not fun to have :-( Poor little one.
Jen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter