Questions about Manual (?) Cameras

Mary2816

Mouseketeer
Hi, all. My DD is a jr. in high school. She is taking a photography course this year. The cameras they will be using are the manual type ones. I know absolutely nothing about these cameras. I am furious because the 3rd period class is being provided these cameras by the school - on loan, of course. DD has photo. 10th period and her class was told they will be responsible for buying theirs outright. I'm doing a slow burn over this. All they were told is that they will be needed in class sometime this month and that specifics for the camera will be provided in a timely manner. A timely manner!?! It's already 11/3 and nothing yet. I've checked out some websites but it's hard to do when you have no idea what you're looking for. My biggest concern is the price. If someone is in the know about these cameras could you just give me your best guess as to how much $$$ I should expect to pay. I know this will be just ballpark since we don't know exactly what's needed. Thanks for any input!!

I'm assuming she'll need a SLR camera. The question is does she need film or digital. If it's film, you're in luck, you can pick up a used 35mm SLR for very little money these days. Digital SLR will be trickier to get for a reasonable cost.

Try Allen's Camera in Levittown, PA. (http://www.allenscamera.com/) It's a small independantly owned shop with great prices. He carries some used gear in good condition. Also Beach Camera in NJ (http://www.beachcamera.com), although I think some of their great deals is because they do carry some grey market gear. Make sure you're gtting a full USA warranty if you buy new. I don't think Beach handles used gear.

Have you asked WHY one class is having gear provided and th other isn't?

Anne

Mary2816 said:
Hi, all. My DD is a jr. in high school. She is taking a photography course this year. The cameras they will be using are the manual type ones. I know absolutely nothing about these cameras. I am furious because the 3rd period class is being provided these cameras by the school - on loan, of course. DD has photo. 10th period and her class was told they will be responsible for buying theirs outright. I'm doing a slow burn over this. All they were told is that they will be needed in class sometime this month and that specifics for the camera will be provided in a timely manner. A timely manner!?! It's already 11/3 and nothing yet. I've checked out some websites but it's hard to do when you have no idea what you're looking for. My biggest concern is the price. If someone is in the know about these cameras could you just give me your best guess as to how much $$$ I should expect to pay. I know this will be just ballpark since we don't know exactly what's needed. Thanks for any input!!

I'd personally be at the next school board meeting....that's just wrong to lend them to one class and make another buy them..

I would check local camera stores for a used 35mm with manual settings, and they probably want a 50mm lens...most cameras will also have an auto setting but most photography classes want manual capability so the students learn what different settings will do and how to control the end result of a picture..

EBAY has some good deals on used equipment, the one I linked to is a good camera for a class....

you're looking at a cost of 100-500 dollars depending on what you get..

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "manual" camera? It could mean "manual" focus (vs. Auto-Focus), "manual" exposure (vs. Auto-Exposure), or both.

If the answer is "both", then your best bet would be that classic starter camera: The Pentax K1000. It's cheap, built like a tank, and they made tons of them. Same goes for the Nikon FM series.

If the answer is manual focus, then I'd recommend another classic starter SLR: Any one of the Nikon FE series.

Both cameras are discontined, but you should have no problem finding them used. A fantastic used dealer is KEH, located in Georgia. They are at www.keh.com

Thanks everyone for your input. DD is supposed to get question/answer time today w/ photo. teacher. She is going to tell her that she NEEDS the specs asap. This is getting ridiculous. Not only is Christmas coming but we are also going to WDW the first week of Dec. Wish I could say, "money is no object" but that's not the case. My opinion is that if there are not enough cameras for both classes, the cameras should be shared. Thanks again.

Mary2816 said:
My opinion is that if there are not enough cameras for both classes, the cameras should be shared.

It seems outrageous that one class gets cameras provided by the school, and another class has to provide their own, but for a photography course, sharing cameras could be a major problem. After all, the kids will most likely be given homework assignments which will require the use of their cameras, and if they are shared, scheduling the hand offs of 30 cameras would be a nightmare for both the teacher and some of the students.

Are they both the same class, or is one of them a basic course and one an advanced course? I could agree with providing cameras to the basic course but requiring an advanced course to bring their own, but if they are both basic courses, the school should be figuring out something a little more fair.

WillCAD said:
It seems outrageous that one class gets cameras provided by the school, and another class has to provide their own, but for a photography course, sharing cameras could be a major problem. After all, the kids will most likely be given homework assignments which will require the use of their cameras, and if they are shared, scheduling the hand offs of 30 cameras would be a nightmare for both the teacher and some of the students.

Are they both the same class, or is one of them a basic course and one an advanced course? I could agree with providing cameras to the basic course but requiring an advanced course to bring their own, but if they are both basic courses, the school should be figuring out something a little more fair.

I agree, shouldn't all students and their taxpayer parents reap the same benefits...

they could always split the students up into groups and let them do the photo assignments together, keeping track of who took what photos...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter