Questions about planning..

I think that you’re making this more complicated than it needs to be. Just buy Disney gift cards and use them to pay for the room that you book n your name. Then don’t do any charging with your magic bands. Your friend can use her debit card at the point of purchase pretty much everywhere in the parks. And you can carry cash or gift cards to pay for your purchases.
Thank you! That’s a very smart idea that my little brain did not think of. I might do that and provide a debit card using online check in, therefore I don’t even have to go to check in! Thanks for your help!

Thank you! That’s a very smart idea that my little brain did not think of. I might do that and provide a debit card using online check in, therefore I don’t even have to go to check in! Thanks for your help!
You are not going to be able to do online check in with a debit card that is in a minor's name.

You are not going to be able to do online check in with a debit card that is in a minor's name.
My guess is your debit card would be fine. The problem with using it is the hotel will put a hold on your funds.
As long as your father doesn’t mind the best option is to use your father’s credit card. I think that will work fine and would not restrict your access to your funds while your on vacation. Leaves you in complete control of the reservation.
Here’s my suggestion:
Use your father’s credit card to make your reservation
Have a gift card ready to Make the deposit
Use your father’s credit card for online check in - decline charging privileges on your magic bands.
Let’s us know how you make out?

My guess is your debit card would be fine. The problem with using it is the hotel will put a hold on your funds.
As long as your father doesn’t mind the best option is to use your father’s credit card. I think that will work fine and would not restrict your access to your funds while your on vacation. Leaves you in complete control of the reservation.
Here’s my suggestion:
Use your father’s credit card to make your reservation
Have a gift card ready to Make the deposit
Use your father’s credit card for online check in - decline charging privileges on your magic bands.
Let’s us know how you make out?
So they hold your funds? Like if I were to use my debit card I cannot use it until the hold is over? I would love to use online check in but I have to provide a card even if I am not spending? If I go to the front desk I can just provide a gift card instead for incedentals which may be a better option for me, suggestions are welcome! First time planning a vacation and I am most likely making it more confusing than it needs to be! I plan to have the trip payed off before I arrive if that helps.

So they hold your funds? Like if I were to use my debit card I cannot use it until the hold is over? I would love to use online check in but I have to provide a card even if I am not spending? If I go to the front desk I can just provide a gift card instead for incedentals which may be a better option for me, suggestions are welcome! First time planning a vacation and I am most likely making it more confusing than it needs to be! I plan to have the trip payed off before I arrive if that helps.
A hold on an account means that amount of money is reserved by the merchant and until the hold is released, you cannot access those funds. So, if you have $110 in your bank account and Disney puts a $100 hold on your debit card, that $100 is frozen until Disney either charges it thru or releases it. You would then have a $10 balance in your bank account that you would be able to access for any other purchases. Once released, it is up to your financial institution as to how long it will take the forthe hold to be lifted.

You cannot put Disney gift cards on your room account for charging purposes. But you can use them at the point of sale or you can pay off your room charges with them before the resort puts them thru on your debit card. If you want to be able to use your MagicBands for room charging, you’re going to have to deal with the holds, regardless of how you eventually settle your hotel room account.

A hold on an account means that amount of money is reserved by the merchant and until the hold is released, you cannot access those funds. So, if you have $110 in your bank account and Disney puts a $100 hold on your debit card, that $100 is frozen until Disney either charges it thru or releases it. You would then have a $10 balance in your bank account that you would be able to access for any other purchases. Once released, it is up to your financial institution as to how long it will take the forthe hold to be lifted.

You cannot put Disney gift cards on your room account for charging purposes. But you can use them at the point of sale or you can pay off your room charges with them before the resort puts them thru on your debit card. If you want to be able to use your MagicBands for room charging, you’re going to have to deal with the holds, regardless of how you eventually settle your hotel room account.
The poster will be visiting with friends. They will not be charging to their Magic Bands to the card connected to the reservation.

Yes, that’s why I’m suggesting your Father’s Credit Card. He won’t notice the hold and it will drop off a few days after you check out. It’s normal for a hotel to place a hold on the card you’re using to guarantee a room reservation. Disney only began the practice in the past two years. It was a surprise for a lot of people. Especially people who have used their Debit Cards to guarantee their reservation and resort check-in.

Yes, that’s why I’m suggesting your Father’s Credit Card. He won’t notice the hold and it will drop off a few days after you check out. It’s normal for a hotel to place a hold on the card you’re using to guarantee a room reservation. Disney only began the practice in the past two years. It was a surprise for a lot of people. Especially people who have used their Debit Cards to guarantee their reservation and resort check-in.
You’re assuming that the father has a credit card that he is willing to allow the OP to use for this purpose. Not everyone does. My brother refuses to have a credit card and deals solely in debit cards for everything. And he’s well into his 50’s, not a young guy.

And you assume that if the father is willing to permit the use of his card, that he would have no issue with a hold on the account. Not everyone has available credit on a credit card that they are able to wait out a hold, which may take days to weeks to drop off.

With the number of posts that the OP has made regarding the use of a debit card, it strikes me that this is a young adult who wants to accomplish this without the involvement of the older adults in her life and is trying to sort thru the options available to her.

Hi all! I’m new here, however I’ve been visiting Disney World all my life! I’m planning a trip for myself and 2 of my friends around 1/25-2/1, this will be my first no parents trip and I must say I am quite excited. I just have a few questions...
- Is it possible to put a reservation underneath my name and use my friends debit card to book the trip?
- What do I have to present at check in? I plan to get the trip payed off online before we check in, but can I present a debit card a check in for fees if there are any?
- Is the park hopper worth it? When I went with my family we never really used it as I was younger and went to bed earlier, now I’m unpredictable and I would love the option to spend the morning in one park and the evening at another.
- The trip looks to be about $800 a person right now, how much money do we need to have on a debit card to present at check in? It’s my first time checking into a hotel and I don’t even know if you can use debit, can you?

Thank you in advanced for the help, have a magical day!!!

I think you have most of your answers, I just wanted to give some extra help.

Using gift cards to pay off your trip ahead of time was a great suggestion. Do NOT plan on using your friend's debit card at check-in. If dad is willing to link his credit card to your reservation after it's paid off so you can check-in online and have the hold on his card that's fine. Even if you opt out of linking purchases to your magic band you WILL have to have a $100 hold put on a card - for hotel "incidentals." Do you think there's a chance you may get your own debit card between now and your trip?

We haven't done online check-in, in person we needed a credit-debit card and ID. They asked for mine since I was the lead on the reservation. Which my husband found funny since he really pays for it! You are the lead, so your ID and a card in your name, if checking in in person.

Park hopping between Magic Kingdom and Epcot via monorail took us about an hour. Walking between Epcot and Hollywood studios (or vice versa) would probably take about the same. I have bad luck with buses and walk up just as the one I want is pulling away, no matter what my app says! Animal Kingdom hopping is bus only. So I find that Park Hopping takes longer than I want it to. If Park Hoppers are in your budget, go for it. You are right a morning in one park and an evening in another is great fun! But that's money that could go towards food and souvenirs or Memory maker for all your great photos...you won't run out of things to do if you stay in just one park!

Don't forget to make your FastPass reservations 60 days before your trip!

You’re assuming that the father has a credit card that he is willing to allow the OP to use for this purpose. Not everyone does. My brother refuses to have a credit card and deals solely in debit cards for everything. And he’s well into his 50’s, not a young guy.

And you assume that if the father is willing to permit the use of his card, that he would have no issue with a hold on the account. Not everyone has available credit on a credit card that they are able to wait out a hold, which may take days to weeks to drop off.

With the number of posts that the OP has made regarding the use of a debit card, it strikes me that this is a young adult who wants to accomplish this without the involvement of the older adults in her life and is trying to sort thru the options available to her.
Thank you for your understanding but I think I’ve finally figured it out!! I am going to use a debit card to pay off the trip before we arrive, then at check in we will not present any form of payment because we won’t be using the spending privileges, However is there a way to do online check in and opt out of the spending? Still a tiny bit confused on that but for the most part I got it! And then at check out what must I present? I plan on using the gift card tip to pay for spending if there is any!

I think you have most of your answers, I just wanted to give some extra help.

Using gift cards to pay off your trip ahead of time was a great suggestion. Do NOT plan on using your friend's debit card at check-in. If dad is willing to link his credit card to your reservation after it's paid off so you can check-in online and have the hold on his card that's fine. Even if you opt out of linking purchases to your magic band you WILL have to have a $100 hold put on a card - for hotel "incidentals." Do you think there's a chance you may get your own debit card between now and your trip?

We haven't done online check-in, in person we needed a credit-debit card and ID. They asked for mine since I was the lead on the reservation. Which my husband found funny since he really pays for it! You are the lead, so your ID and a card in your name, if checking in in person.

Park hopping between Magic Kingdom and Epcot via monorail took us about an hour. Walking between Epcot and Hollywood studios (or vice versa) would probably take about the same. I have bad luck with buses and walk up just as the one I want is pulling away, no matter what my app says! Animal Kingdom hopping is bus only. So I find that Park Hopping takes longer than I want it to. If Park Hoppers are in your budget, go for it. You are right a morning in one park and an evening in another is great fun! But that's money that could go towards food and souvenirs or Memory maker for all your great photos...you won't run out of things to do if you stay in just one park!

Don't forget to make your FastPass reservations 60 days before your trip!
Thank you! I believe I can use a card that’s not in my name but my fathers name at check in correct? If not I may just use the online check in route just to avoid any embarrassment at check in! Thanks to all of you for the help!!! Have a great day!

Thank you! I believe I can use a card that’s not in my name but my fathers name at check in correct? If not I may just use the online check in route just to avoid any embarrassment at check in! Thanks to all of you for the help!!! Have a great day!

I suggest e-mailing or calling your specific resort. An e-mail would be great so you could print out their reply and bring that with you. To use your father's card you will have to do on-line check-in. If you check-in at the desk, they will require a card from someone on the reservation, over 18 years of age. You sound very responsible getting this figured out so far in advance of your trip! Have lots of fun!!

I assume nothing; you’re mistaken. In the poster’s original inquiry she notes that using her Father’s credit card is an option.
I admire the strength of your bother’s conviction. It can not be too easy to operate these days, in some situations, with out a credit card.
Me personally, I appreciate the protections that purchasing and paying for my travel with a credit card provides.

On-line check is available 60 days in advance of your arrival day.
You’ll have plenty of time to handle any issues with the card you decide to use.
If I’m remembering correctly.
I was first prompted to accept the card I had on file or change it.
Second I was asked if I would like to authorize charging with my Magic Band - Which I decline.
Some other information after that but...that’s pretty much it you’re checked in. You don’t go to the front desk when you arrive. From your resort you can head wherever you like. The resort will text you your room number when your room is ready. Head directly to your room. You open the door with your Magic Bands.
I could give you a bunch more information about arrival times and bags, what to expect when you arrive but that’s getting kind of ahead of where you’re at in your planning.
You don’t check out - on your last night when you get back from the park - you’ll find an envelope on your door about Magical Express and checking your luggage down stairs. Unless you have a problem you won’t need to stop at the front desk during your stay.

I suggest e-mailing or calling your specific resort. An e-mail would be great so you could print out their reply and bring that with you. To use your father's card you will have to do on-line check-in. If you check-in at the desk, they will require a card from someone on the reservation, over 18 years of age. You sound very responsible getting this figured out so far in advance of your trip! Have lots of fun!!
A person can not call a specific resort. All calls go into Reservations Call Center or Guests Services Call Center which will still work. Most representatives are knowledgeable and have great information. Like most call centers....not all. I have found it helpful to have the information and ask for help with the execution. Which is exactly what the poster did. Smart person!

Thank you for your understanding but I think I’ve finally figured it out!! I am going to use a debit card to pay off the trip before we arrive, then at check in we will not present any form of payment because we won’t be using the spending privileges, However is there a way to do online check in and opt out of the spending? Still a tiny bit confused on that but for the most part I got it! And then at check out what must I present? I plan on using the gift card tip to pay for spending if there is any!
I just did a little experiment on my own account to see how it would work out using an upcoming reservation I have (which is more than 60 days away).

I removed the credit card that was stored in my account prior to trying online check in. During the check in process a warning came up that it cannot be done without a credit card on file. So, you will have to attach a credit or debit card in order to do online check in. Removing the card from your profile afterwards will negate your ability to skip the front desk.

You can choose not to set PINs for everyone and then no one will be able to make room charges. I did not see anywhere to just decline charging privileges. However, I’m using a mobile device and the full website might offer that option.

What I cannot verify is whether a hold is placed on the card on file if you don’t set PINs for anyone.

Thanks to all of you for your actions and very personable responses! This helped me a ton and I know believe I have it figured out!

I just did a little experiment on my own account to see how it would work out using an upcoming reservation I have.

I removed the credit card that was stored in my account prior to trying online check in. During the check in process a warning came up that it cannot be done without a credit card on file. So, you will have to attach a credit or debit card in order to do online check in. Removing the card from your profile afterwards will negate your ability to skip the front desk.

You can choose not to set PINs for everyone and then no one will be able to make room charges. I did not see anywhere to just decline charging privileges. However, I’m using a mobile device and the full website might offer that option.

What I cannot verify is whether a hold is placed on the card on file if you don’t set PINs for anyone.
I’m reading that guests have the option of not using a card “at all” with online check-in and are advised that they will be unable to use their Bands for charging. I’ve always just entered my card when asked...good information to have.

I’m reading that guests have the option of not using a card “at all” with online check-in and are advised that they will be unable to use their Bands for charging. I’ve always just entered my card when asked...good information to have.
Well, I just gave it a try and you cannot do online check in without putting a credit/debit card on file.

And just as a follow up to my PP, I’ll link to this thread where credit card holds are discussed when a guest chooses to check in online but does not wish to make any room charges with their MagicBands. It looks as if Disney does a hold on the card regardless.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/on-line-check-in-and-credit-card-holds.3748918/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter