quick question re: Discovery Cove

LOVETHATMOUSE

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>*~*Some LOVE from
We are taking the Disney Cruise in March and have a lot of time to kill before our flight home when we dock (we will get off boat no later than 9 and don't have to be to MCO until 3:00 (have a 5:05 flight).

My daughter is very dissapointed that we will not be able to do a dolphin swim due to the fact the boat excursions do not have any planned. How much time does the dolphin swim take at DC. Would we be too rushed? Any insight would help us tremendously.

Thanks,

Deb

You would be too rushed.

You say the boat docks no later than 9am. But you still have to drive back to Orlando, which is about an hour drive from the coast. So now it's 10am. By the time you check into DC and get going, it's 11am. Your flight leaves at 05:05, so you need to be at the airport at 3pm, but you must leave for the airport by 2pm.
You wouldn't enjoy DC being rushed like that.

Here's the alternative.

Visit SeaWorld and goto the Key West area. Each cup costs $4 and has 4 fish in it. The dolphins will come right up to the ledge and stop in front of those who have food. Your daughter will be able to pet the dolphins. She can also feed the rays. My daughter and I spent 3 hours in this area one time feeding the dolphins. I bought like 6 cups of fish.

This is alot better than spending the $179 a person for a rushed DC experience, because once you book the DC reservation, you only get half your money back on a cancellation (depending on when you cancel). The DC ticket also gives you 7 days to SeaWorld, which you would be wasting.

Better to save your money, and plan another trip the right way, and that's staying at the Renaissance Resort across the street.
Spending a few hours at the Key West Area of SeaWorld is a good compromise. Your daughter will be able to pet the dolphins, and then you have something to look forward too for your next trip.
When we went to DC, we stayed until the end, and even then my daughter didn't want to leave because she was making "friends" with fish in the tropical reef pool. I had to drag her out of there, so you need to full day, or she will cry.

thanks robvia - We have never been to seaworld, so I had no idea about the dolphin feeding. I think we will try and do that. I believe we can be off the boat as early as 8:00 am. What time does Seaworld open? She would love, love, love feeding the dolphins. In fact, I think she would like that better than swimming with them. Does that area get very crowded? How much is the admission to SW? I think maybe we won't tell her what we have planned and just show up. Do you think 4 hours is worth it going to SW? Sorry for all the questions, but anything you tell me will help in our decision to go.

The information is found here.

http://www.seaworld.com/seaworld/fla/index.html

Single day tickets are 47.95 and children are 38.95. You won't get any discounts doing single day tickets, but it will be worth it, your daughter will be so happy. The park opens at 9am, and the Key West dolphin area is open at this time. Its located on the left side of the park as you enter, not far from the entrance. Get there as early as you can so you can buy your tickets before a line forms.

On feeding the Dolphins... They have a window where you purchase the fish. They have a clock that says when the window opens. Get in the line before the window opens, because a long line forms. Buy 4 cups at a time (maybe more) because they go fast, once they run out, the window closes. Bring lots of money, your daughter will want to keep feeding. Have her stand on the wall while you go get the fish because it gets crowded, you gotta wiggle your way into a spot. Everyone stands along the wall and the dolphins come up to those who have fish. They can see who does and who doesn't have it. You can still get some touches by standing next to someone who has fish. But the person with the fish gets all the attention. As people run out of fish, they leave, and the crowd is less. If she still has some fish, then she can feed them without all the other people around, but it's hard to do this. Most people run out. An hour or two later, they'll open the window again, and the entire thing repeats. In between feeding sessions, we went underground and looked at the dolphins thru a glass wall, it's so cool.

Yes, 4 hours is enough time to visit Sea World, do the dolphins, see a couple shows, have lunch, and then leave for the airport. And DC is right next to SWF, you can even see it by going up in the sky tower ride. There is an extra charge to go up in the tower ride, but it's worth it, I think it's like $4 a person. You'll also be able to see the Renaissance Resort located across the street from Sea World, this is the hotel you wanna stay in when you come back and do a DC trip.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO - I THINK WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS, BUT NOT TELL MY DAUGHTER. I THINK WE WILL PRETEND WE ARE GOING TO THE AIRPORT, BUT MAKE A QUICK STOP FOR A MINUTE AND LEAD HER TO THE DOLPHINS. NICE SURPRISE FOR THE END OF THE TRIP I THINK.

Are you cruising on the Wonder or Magic? We are cruising on the Wonder in Feb and had considered doing the dolphin swim in Paradise Island (Nassua), We are spending a week in Orlando after the cruise so have decided to do Discovery Cove instead. Even though Disney doesn't offer the dolphin swim as an excursion, you can do it on your own. Of course, if it's the Magic... then I don't think there is one.
Jenn

JDM- WE ARE GOING ON THE MAGIC. I WONDER WHY THOSE PORTS DON'T OFFER ANY DOLPHIN ACTIVITIES?

I don't want to be a downer, but from past cruise experience you rarely get off the boat that early. They usually call for those with an early flight first; how do you feel about lying? That was the only way we could get off early, but it was still much later than what time we thought we would be off.

I don't know if it was just luck or the norm but we were on the Magic last April (a full ship)
and we were off the ship, had our luggage, and were in the car by 9:00 a.m. We were not
flying out that day either. Disney does a great job of getting you on your way so this
should not be a problem.

If you have the early dinner seating (6:00pm), you will have the early breakfast seating on the last day. On our 3-day Wonder cruise last month, we were off the boat by 7:45. As we had parked a rental car, we were on the road by 8:00. We didn't rush; in fact we were one of the last to leave breakfast; the second seating starts at 8:00.

Conceivably things are done differently on the Magic but I can't imagine why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter