Quick trip options from Indiana?

ktate82

DIS Veteran
We live in Southern Indiana, and DH and I were considering giving our kids (daughter 12 and son 11) a trip for Christmas instead of gifts that will just clutter up their room. We just got back from a Disney World, Universal, and Disney Cruise trip, so was wanting something more affordable and within driving distance for the first week of January. I had looked at Wisconsin Dells to go tubing and for the waterparks, but I wondered if any one had any other favorites for a short, affordable trip away?

I hear Branson Missouri is a great family vacation location. I have never been there myself and I don’t know if January is when you want to go. But if you have never been, it may be worth a couple google searches.

We live in Southern Indiana, and DH and I were considering giving our kids (daughter 12 and son 11) a trip for Christmas instead of gifts that will just clutter up their room. We just got back from a Disney World, Universal, and Disney Cruise trip, so was wanting something more affordable and within driving distance for the first week of January. I had looked at Wisconsin Dells to go tubing and for the waterparks, but I wondered if any one had any other favorites for a short, affordable trip away?

I'd be hesitant to drive north during January. I'm less than impressed with Indiana's snow removal system. What about visiting the water parks in Sandusky, Ohio? Or, I remember Gatlinburg, Tennessee having a similar vibe to the Wisconsin Dells, although I don't know how it is since the fire...

every so often Groupon will have a deal for the great wolf lodge in Ohio. I haven't been, but have considered it a few times. I remember there being something kind of like great wolf in southern Indiana as well, but I can't remember the name of it. We passed it when we were on our way to the polar express about 3 years ago.

every so often Groupon will have a deal for the great wolf lodge in Ohio. I haven't been, but have considered it a few times. I remember there being something kind of like great wolf in southern Indiana as well, but I can't remember the name of it. We passed it when we were on our way to the polar express about 3 years ago.

GWL has a great military discount. Sign up for their emails as they run 48-hour flash sales all the time for really great rates.
https://www.greatwolf.com/

We stayed at GWL in Niagara Falls. It is great for younger kids. My teens were a bit too old for the kid stuff. They tried the water slides and their hair didn't even get wet going down.

When my dad lived in TN (he just moved last month) I wanted to check out this place. My brother still lives in TN so maybe one day.

Westgate Resort with indoor water park.

https://www.westgateresorts.com/hot...y-mountain-resort/wild-bear-falls-water-park/

Have fun!

Because you mention Wisconsin Dell (never heard of it, so had to google), I will mention Frankenmuth, Michigan. Our relatives who live near Detroit love to have weekend get-a-ways at Frankenmuth.

https://www.frankenmuth.org/lodging/indoor-water-parks/

Looks like Bavarian Inn and Zehnders Splash Village both have indoor water parks. Driving time, it might be around the same as Wisconsin Dell (not sure where in S. IL.)

Going anywhere north (especially) that time of year could be fine -- or could be a lost cause. Lots of lake effect snow possible in northwest Indiana / Chicago area.

Even going south could have weather issues. But if you want to try it, Gatlinburg, TN might be an option. It's about 6 1/2-7 hours from Central Indiana -- so probably a couple less than that for you.

How about Atlanta, GA...if you are in incredibly south Indiana, it should be about 430 miles (or 8ish hours driving + stops). It is likely to actually almost certainly have nice weather (not warm, but no snow), and it's got a lot of nice tourist attractions for tweens.

When I think January travel I'm thinking south due to weather issues.
Great Wolf is near Cincinnati/Kings Island. Cincy may be a good, close getaway if you haven't been there where you don't have to worry much about weather since it's so close.

Gatlinburg, Nashville, and Atlanta are also great options.

Thanks for the options! We were in Nashville several times last summer (my brother had to have a special surgery they only do there). We were also looking at Gatlinburg. Do they have a place that does tubing? Atlanta is a great option too!

Is Big Splash what you are thinking of? If so, it's only about an hour from us. We have been several times, but it is aimed more at smaller kids. It's hard to find stuff that isn't just for little kids, but that our kids aren't too little for.

No matter what the weather is like outside, inside Mammoth Cave is always pretty much the same, chilly temperature!

Save for a few hotels and the like, Gatlinburg is pretty much open for business again, but I doubt any of the water activities are going to be open at that time of year. Pigeon Forge has Dollywood, but I think they're closed as well that time of year. They also have other family-oriented attractions, though.

I’m curious as to where you live! We’re in Sellersburg and it sounds like you might be fairly close. As for things to do...

- St. Louis has a lot of fun stuff.
- A weekend to French Lick is nice. The hotels have indoor pools, bowling, etc.
- Gatlinburg
- Cincinnati has GWL and a cool museum
- If anyone is into Corvettes, you could head to Bowling Green and tour the Corvette plant/ go to the museum and go to Mammoth Cave. My sister lives there so I could ask her about other things to do.
- There is actually a lot to do just in Louisville. We have gotten a hotel and let the kids swim, you can do something in Mega Caverns, Sky Zone, tour the bat factory, science center, etc.

Is Big Splash what you are thinking of? If so, it's only about an hour from us. We have been several times, but it is aimed more at smaller kids. It's hard to find stuff that isn't just for little kids, but that our kids aren't too little for.
I had to look it up. Big Splash was it. I didn't realize it was mostly for smaller kids. That's a shame. There's such a bigger market that they could cater to.

Since this is the budget board, I'll second the above recommendation for St. Louis.
There is so much to do there that is free:
  • the zoo (little chilly in January!)
  • the science museum,
  • the art museum,
  • the Arch (riding to top costs $)
  • history museum,
  • Anheuser-Busch Brewery tours,
  • Cahokia Mounds (nearby Illinois),
  • Cathedral Basilica (omg gorgeous!).
  • I think the Wild Bird Sanctuary is also free, but I've never been to that.
The City Museum is amazing for your kids age. I think it's $12 now;
and there is snow tubing outside the city.

I’m curious as to where you live! We’re in Sellersburg and it sounds like you might be fairly close. As for things to do...

- St. Louis has a lot of fun stuff.
- A weekend to French Lick is nice. The hotels have indoor pools, bowling, etc.
- Gatlinburg
- Cincinnati has GWL and a cool museum
- If anyone is into Corvettes, you could head to Bowling Green and tour the Corvette plant/ go to the museum and go to Mammoth Cave. My sister lives there so I could ask her about other things to do.
- There is actually a lot to do just in Louisville. We have gotten a hotel and let the kids swim, you can do something in Mega Caverns, Sky Zone, tour the bat factory, science center, etc.

Thanks for the ideas! We live an hour on the other side of Paoli (closer to the IL border). Neat to meet someone that close though!

I had to look it up. Big Splash was it. I didn't realize it was mostly for smaller kids. That's a shame. There's such a bigger market that they could cater to.

I know right! I know when we go, I greatly enjoy the 18 and older hot tub lol. But the kids don't seem to appreciate how much I enjoy it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter