Rafiki's Planet Watch is Now OPEN - See Post #296

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one of the areas that we ever felt was a must do. The train is nice. When we have been there, never a big crowd. We rode it in April and there might have been 100 peopl there total including those waiting for the train.
So, not surprised that they would change it to open only during high crowd days, but I'm not sure it will make much of a difference on crowded days as that is not where the people go.

I loved visiting the pigs at the petting zoo and seeing Charlotte perform in the "It all started with a pig" show. This is terrible news. I'm going again in April -- think it'll be open again by then? Also, do they ever let adults do the pig painting? :P Suppose it's too late now anyway :(
When in April? I suspect they would have it open for their annual birthday celebration, which coincides with Earth Day, if it hadn't already reopened for Spring Break.

Honestly, who cares if it's on the list of what appeals to toddlers.
Do you not get to do things that are appealing to you too?

Every family tours differently, but I do always laugh when I see this. I had the same thought pre-parenthood. Now I'm a single mom to a single child, so my family set up is different. But for us, the whole trip is planned around what will appeal to both off us. Yes, I pay, but I'm paying the high Disney prices for a vacation that my preschooler can enjoy as much as I do.

We have great zoos in my area, and a membership to one of them, so the animal viewing aspect of AK doesn't attract either of us (although it is wonderful). I struggled to fill the AK day of our plan even with RPW, so now it's even harder. If not for the many character interaction opportunities, I would switch to another park for that day. As it is, we'll do NRJ, Safari, Lion King, Triceratops Spin, and visit all the characters. Not a bad day, but there's actually more for us to do at the local Six Flags.

I love all the live dancing and singing at AK, but we miss a lot due to it being in the 12-4pm timeframe when we leave the park to nap. Not a WDW problem, just a matter of personal choices!

Thank you for all the replies about AK with little kids. There were too many to quote, but I have read them all and appreciate everyone’s perspective. It does sound like there should be plenty to keep my young nieces engaged, so I will keep our AK day in our plans after all.

Honestly, who cares if it's on the list of what appeals to toddlers.
Do you not get to do things that are appealing to you too? The adults have to have fun too, right? No just you but what about the parents of your nieces? Will they go when you go earlier? Or just when the nieces go?
AK is full of wonderful and fabulous things to see and do.
It's the only living park at Disney, where things are never the same from visit to visit. No other park can claim this. While I love rides as much as the next person, 1 ride on Big Thunder is like any other ride on Big Thunder, or 1 ride on Rock in Roller Coaster is like any other. But no Safari is like another Safari. No walk on the Gorilla Trail is like any other. Nowhere else can you walk in and possibly hit upon having a huge flock of parrots fly over as you come in. No park as the detail put into it that AK has. It lives and breathes differently than all the other parks.
Toddlers may not appreciate it but the adults do. And by gosh, the adults are the ones paying. And the adults surely get some say.
There is enough there for kids too. They'll be enthralled by the animals all around them. And the sights and sounds of the park in general

Honestly, I care! I’m also paying the full bill, not that I think it’s relevant to the discussion.

I’m not sure if you are intending to come across this agressive. I have said several times in this thread and elsewhere, that I have never been to WDW. Despite all the research I have done, there are still things I don’t know, and this is one of them. Rafiki’s Planet Watch was allocated an hour in the plan of our AK day, so it’s a blow that it will be closed.

My nieces and their mum are only there for a few days. I don’t have children, and I’m trying to work out the best way to use our limited time and the limited energy of my nieces, so that it’s a fun trip for all of us. We don’t get to see them very often as we live in different countries, so in my circumstances, I absolutely would priorities a smooth and peaceful trip over getting to see everything in each park. The primary purpose of this trip is to see family; the location is very much secondary. I realise that’s not the case for everyone, but that’s the reality for us right now.

Thank you for all the replies about AK with little kids. There were too many to quote, but I have read them all and appreciate everyone’s perspective. It does sound like there should be plenty to keep my young nieces engaged, so I will keep our AK day in our plans after all.

Honestly, I care! I’m also paying the full bill, not that I think it’s relevant to the discussion.

I’m not sure if you are intending to come across this agressive. I have said several times in this thread and elsewhere, that I have never been to WDW. Despite all the research I have done, there are still things I don’t know, and this is one of them. Rafiki’s Planet Watch was allocated an hour in the plan of our AK day, so it’s a blow that it will be closed.

My nieces and their mum are only there for a few days. I don’t have children, and I’m trying to work out the best way to use our limited time and the limited energy of my nieces, so that it’s a fun trip for all of us. We don’t get to see them very often as we live in different countries, so in my circumstances, I absolutely would priorities a smooth and peaceful trip over getting to see everything in each park. The primary purpose of this trip is to see family; the location is very much secondary. I realise that’s not the case for everyone, but that’s the reality for us right now.
Not meaning to be aggressive in a negative way (it's hard to tell in print), but aggressive (as in enthusiastic) to drive home that AK has a whole lot to offer. And that adults get to have as much fun as kids do ;)

Not meaning to be aggressive in a negative way (it's hard to tell in print), but aggressive (as in enthusiastic) to drive home that AK has a whole lot to offer. And that adults get to have as much fun as kids do ;)

Got it! :) It definitely is hard to tell things online sometimes, without tone or facial expression. As far as AK, it is the park I’m most excited about visiting, and many people I know came home from their first WDW trip very surprised by the fact that their favourite park is AK.

I totally agree that the adults should get it enjoy it too. The niece and nephew who live near us don’t get everything on their own terms, but in this case, I will definitely have the most fun if the girls enjoy themselves. We booked FPs for their mum for FOP and EE, while I play with the girls or sit somewhere while they nap. So she won’t miss out completely, and hopefully I won’t have bored, whiny kids on my hands. :laughing:

Last edited:
We did RPW last month for the first time in 10 years. DD5 had fun meeting Rafiki and Doc McStuffens, but thunderstorms rolled in right as we got there. So the petting zoo closed and we were stranded there until the storms let up. The sound booths were kind of interesting, but half the headphones were broken. Not a fun place to be stranded in the rain, so we ended up grabbing some pre-packaged snacks and waited it out.

And Rafiki was so bored that he was wandering around messing with people.

What a shame. It really is one of the core things of the park, and for it to only be open seasonally is a shame. Always enjoyed everything around there. Even the "It All Started With A Mouse" show (which really was good) didn't help the area unfortunately

Not one of the areas that we ever felt was a must do. The train is nice. When we have been there, never a big crowd. We rode it in April and there might have been 100 peopl there total including those waiting for the train.
So, not surprised that they would change it to open only during high crowd days, but I'm not sure it will make much of a difference on crowded days as that is not where the people go.

My family loves the educational aspect of RFK, but the low crowds are definitely part of the appeal for us as well. In a busy WDW vacation, it's nice to have a little bit of "slow pace and open space."

Interesting. After 5 or 6 previous trips to WDW, my wife and I discovered this little gem on our last trip (Dec 2016). I know there is a lot of talk about how children enjoy the train ride and destination, but we senior citizens who are losing our zest for fast rides enjoy it too. Our next trip is the first week of May (2019). I will cross my fingers and leave it on my plan just in case. :-)

I guess I can't say I'm surprised that this attraction is going away as it is not all that "popular" - but I am a little surprised about it going "seasonal." There are a lot of animals back there and I wonder if they will continue to care for them in the present location and only let guests back to see them during busy times. If you think about it they have a lot of animals back there - not just a few goats. Yes they have goats - but also if I remember right they have pigs and cows in the petting zoo. They have insects and reptiles and some birds inside the building - as well as a few other more exotic animals like monkeys along the trail from the train. I just wonder if they are going to continue to care for and feed these animals year round - provide year round veterinarian care and pay the staff to care for the animals all year - and then only "show them off" a few weeks a year. When a "ride or attraction" like Stitch's Great Escape goes seasonal you basically shut it down until you need it and then turn it back on (yes I know they would have to do routine maintenance and upkeep - but nothing like daily care of live animals)

Anyway - just feels like this is a much harder attraction to make "seasonal" than most and I would imagine it's a short term fix until it is shut down for good or replaced.

I'm no expert - but just seems like a lot more goes into this than "hitting the off switch" - am I crazy? :)

First weekend in April, for the Star Wars race weekend.
That may be a bit early now. Normally it is the same weekend. But they are moving the race to earlier in April. So will be a wait and see situation.

I guess I can't say I'm surprised that this attraction is going away as it is not all that "popular" - but I am a little surprised about it going "seasonal." There are a lot of animals back there and I wonder if they will continue to care for them in the present location and only let guests back to see them during busy times. If you think about it they have a lot of animals back there - not just a few goats. Yes they have goats - but also if I remember right they have pigs and cows in the petting zoo. They have insects and reptiles and some birds inside the building - as well as a few other more exotic animals like monkeys along the trail from the train. I just wonder if they are going to continue to care for and feed these animals year round - provide year round veterinarian care and pay the staff to care for the animals all year - and then only "show them off" a few weeks a year. When a "ride or attraction" like Stitch's Great Escape goes seasonal you basically shut it down until you need it and then turn it back on (yes I know they would have to do routine maintenance and upkeep - but nothing like daily care of live animals)

Anyway - just feels like this is a much harder attraction to make "seasonal" than most and I would imagine it's a short term fix until it is shut down for good or replaced.

I'm no expert - but just seems like a lot more goes into this than "hitting the off switch" - am I crazy? :)
Not really sure what you mean. AK is an accredited zoo and has animals all over the park, not just at the petting zoo, and has 24 hour a day, around the clock vet care and people to care for and feed the animals, all of them. They won't have to have anyone or anything special on hand. The few at Rafiki's won't make much of any difference

ETA - The vet hospital even cares for non-Disney animals when needed to. That won't change just because Rafiki's is closed.

Not really sure what you mean. AK is an accredited zoo and has animals all over the park, not just at the petting zoo, and has 24 hour a day, around the clock vet care and people to care for and feed the animals, all of them. They won't have to have anyone or anything special on hand. The few at Rafiki's won't make much of any difference

I totally get what you are saying - seems to make "common sense" (especially when you consider the size of their budget) - however it wouldn't be the first time they cut a cost that didn't seem to make a difference to you or me. A cost is a cost - and if there is a not a "return" for that cost - then it's vulnerable to cost cutting.

Yes I understand that Animal Kingdom is a zoo - one of the best in the world and one that I have been to more times than I can count. They are obviously a zoo - and are also a business. Sure feeding and caring for the animals at Planet Watch is a small part of the budget overall. However we have seen many times that if Disney sees a way to trim "around the edges" they will do it. The animals at Planet Watch add an expense to the park - sure not a huge one - but every staff member caring for those animals is being paid for their time when they could be caring for others. More animals to care for means more people required to care for them and more food to buy to feed them with. More animals means more time "on the clock" caring for them and more food. The whole reason they make rides "seasonal" is to lower staffing levels and maintenance costs to save money. I'm sure that Disney will still give these animals the same level of care even though they are "off exhibit" - so if that's the case - then staff and food and medicine is still required.

I just think eventually some of the "corporate types" will ask "why are we staffing (feeding/cleaning/giving medical care to) animals that no one ever sees except a few times a year"

You mentioned that a few extra animals at Planet Watch won't make much of a difference - that's true. However a few extra college kids operating a ride at the Magic Kingdom doesn't make much of a difference either - but they shut down Stitch anyway most of the year to save money. A few extra "atmosphere actors" are a tiny part of Hollywood Studios budget - but they are still getting rid of some of them to save money.

There is a reason you don't see other zoos in the country keep certain animals "off exhibit" all year and only bring them out for guests to see during Christmas and Easter - because it's a throw away cost.

If Disney is going to keep this open more than most "seasonal attractions" - maybe keeping it open all summer as well as the holiday's - and only closing it during super slow times then I think it might be a long term thing.

However - if they are only going to open it during super busy days (a few weeks a year) - then I don't think having animals off exhibit all year is going to be something they do long term. Maybe they can relocate the petting zoo so kids can actually get to see these animals. Who knows.

I hope I'm making sense.

ETA - The vet hospital even cares for non-Disney animals when needed to.
Yes they do.
Kinda :offtopic: but still somewhat related.

A couple of years ago, a Fort Wilderness campground Guest's cat snuck away while they were getting ready to leave. They didn't know it was missing until they were many hours away from WDW. The owner posted a cry for help on a FW website. I read the post and PMd them. I got some info and discovered that the cat had been found and that it was at the AK animal hospital. It was fine, so I made arrangements to pick it up. I kept it for a few days until it was time for his flight home to Chicago. I brought him to OIA and off he went to be reunited with his family.

They took really good care of him at the AK Animal Hospital and he was a big hit with the staff during his short stay. Oh, btw, he was 17 years old.

Yes they do.
Kinda :offtopic: but still somewhat related.

A couple of years ago, a Fort Wilderness campground Guest's cat snuck away while they were getting ready to leave. They didn't know it was missing until they were many hours away from WDW. The owner posted a cry for help on a FW website. I read the post and PMd them. I got some info and discovered that the cat had been found and that it was at the AK animal hospital. It was fine, so I made arrangements to pick it up. I kept it for a few days until it was time for his flight home to Chicago. I brought him to OIA and off he went to be reunited with his family.

They took really good care of him at the AK Animal Hospital and he was a big hit with the staff during his short stay. Oh, btw, he was 17 years old.

What a wonderful story and, as a cat owner, thank you for doing so much to reunite the cat with his owners. That really is above and beyond what anyone could have expected, and was so kind. I would have been distraught if it was one of my cats.

So sad to hear this. I loved RPW. We didn't go every time, but we went there quite a bit. My kids loved the petting zoo area.

I totally get what you are saying - seems to make "common sense" (especially when you consider the size of their budget) - however it wouldn't be the first time they cut a cost that didn't seem to make a difference to you or me. A cost is a cost - and if there is a not a "return" for that cost - then it's vulnerable to cost cutting.

Yes I understand that Animal Kingdom is a zoo - one of the best in the world and one that I have been to more times than I can count. They are obviously a zoo - and are also a business. Sure feeding and caring for the animals at Planet Watch is a small part of the budget overall. However we have seen many times that if Disney sees a way to trim "around the edges" they will do it. The animals at Planet Watch add an expense to the park - sure not a huge one - but every staff member caring for those animals is being paid for their time when they could be caring for others. More animals to care for means more people required to care for them and more food to buy to feed them with. More animals means more time "on the clock" caring for them and more food. The whole reason they make rides "seasonal" is to lower staffing levels and maintenance costs to save money. I'm sure that Disney will still give these animals the same level of care even though they are "off exhibit" - so if that's the case - then staff and food and medicine is still required.

I just think eventually some of the "corporate types" will ask "why are we staffing (feeding/cleaning/giving medical care to) animals that no one ever sees except a few times a year"

You mentioned that a few extra animals at Planet Watch won't make much of a difference - that's true. However a few extra college kids operating a ride at the Magic Kingdom doesn't make much of a difference either - but they shut down Stitch anyway most of the year to save money. A few extra "atmosphere actors" are a tiny part of Hollywood Studios budget - but they are still getting rid of some of them to save money.

There is a reason you don't see other zoos in the country keep certain animals "off exhibit" all year and only bring them out for guests to see during Christmas and Easter - because it's a throw away cost.

If Disney is going to keep this open more than most "seasonal attractions" - maybe keeping it open all summer as well as the holiday's - and only closing it during super slow times then I think it might be a long term thing.

However - if they are only going to open it during super busy days (a few weeks a year) - then I don't think having animals off exhibit all year is going to be something they do long term. Maybe they can relocate the petting zoo so kids can actually get to see these animals. Who knows.

I hope I'm making sense.
If the animals out there eat a diet so unique or require care that is so unique they can't share with any other animal then maybe it's an issue. But if they can have the same, or close to at least, diet and care as other hoof stock then it isn't likely to add much if any to the cost of care. I know most of the keepers care for more than one group too. The keepers for the goats, for instance, don't care for JUST the goats.
In addition, we did the tour of the feeding areas. I wouldn't underestimate what Disney puts in to (money wise) over and above what is necessary, of the care and keeping of the animals.

I’m going to have a super bummed kiddo unless they move their wilderness explorer stations. All she had to finish in her book were the stations back there. For a 4 year old I was pretty impressed with her diligence wanting to complete EVERY activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter