Rafiki's Planet Watch is Now OPEN - See Post #296

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA - The vet hospital even cares for non-Disney animals when needed to. That won't change just because Rafiki's is closed.
Correct. The guest areas of Rafikis will be closed but the backstage/vet areas will still be used. That building holds many backstage offices as well as the main vet hospital area for the entire park. They will continue to be needed as long as the park has animals. Any non-Disney animal on Disney property can also be cared for by Disney. When I was on my backstage tour in March they had a dove on the table being operated on which was found injured on Disney property.

Not even knowing this was happening, I was just explaining to the family that we were going to have to skip Rafiki's Planet this year during Thanksgiving week, because I didn't think we had the time at AK to fit it into our schedule. At least now I'm off the hook with being the bad guy.

That said, this truly is a shame. We always enjoyed the relaxing train ride, seeing the characters there with relatively short lines, and when the kids were younger, the petting zoo.

Yes... this is me as well. We have one AK day and I didn’t know how we’d be able to fit it in, it’s not the top of my list but I know my son would have enjoyed it... I guess it makes it easier for me to tell him it’s closed rather than we don’t have time for it. Lol

Add me to the 'bummed but not surprised' club. When we went last trip we sat on the benches for an animal care show by the petting zoo area and there was one other family - not exactly a hot spot.

Wilderness Explorers was my kids' favorite thing about AK on our last trip. They were 3 and 6 at the time. They were obsessed with getting those stickers.

I see a couple of people asked in this thread, but I didn't see an answer, regarding whether the train ride might still operate even though you can't get out at RPW anymore. Still wondering. I actually liked the train ride more than RPW.

I see a couple of people asked in this thread, but I didn't see an answer, regarding whether the train ride might still operate even though you can't get out at RPW anymore. Still wondering. I actually liked the train ride more than RPW.
When the closure goes into effect, the train will no longer run.

There’s also no info yet as to where the new Wilderness Explorers location will be.

Yes but even those who have booked after there have been reported cases of people getting away with not paying. I think they will get tighter with it as time goes on of course but it seems to be an issue.

We stayed at Coronado Springs in July. Nobody ever asked us if we had car (we did) and were not charged the parking fee. We booked after the fees were announced.

We always made a visit to Rafiki's. There's a bit more back there than just the petting zoo. My boys always enjoyed the up close encounters with whatever animals they had out plus whatever animal presentation the had in the little stage area. And this is where my oldest met Guitar Dan for the first time so many years ago and he still remembers Dan.

When the closure goes into effect, the train will no longer run.

There’s also no info yet as to where the new Wilderness Explorers location will be.

We always made a visit to Rafiki's. There's a bit more back there than just the petting zoo. My boys always enjoyed the up close encounters with whatever animals they had out plus whatever animal presentation the had in the little stage area. And this is where my oldest met Guitar Dan for the first time so many years ago and he still remembers Dan.
The good news is, both of these could very easily be moved to a location around the Tree of Life. They already do animal encounters there now. And in the Oasis. They could do more encounters at either, or both, of these with little effort. Shouldn't take too much to bring the WE spots out to one of those areas too

Nooo! I was really excited to see the vet procedures. It also removes the petting zoo, so all that’s left for my toddler nieces is the Safari. I really don’t care about Pandora, but I’m sad that they are removing an actual animal attraction from AK.
I enjoy AK for the gorillas and the vet procedures. I’m upset. Also, my little one loves Pocahontas. Is she still there and if so, will she be placed elsewhere?

I enjoy AK for the gorillas and the vet procedures. I’m upset. Also, my little one loves Pocahontas. Is she still there and if so, will she be placed elsewhere?
Pretty sure that's not where Pocahontas has been for quite some time. She's been at the path heading to DinoLand for a couple of years

Add me to the 'bummed but not surprised' club. When we went last trip we sat on the benches for an animal care show by the petting zoo area and there was one other family - not exactly a hot spot.
I tend to think the difficulty and time involved getting back there might have contributed. I know personally we would have visited more if we could have just walked back versus wait for the train. It’s a shame though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter