Rafiki's Planet Watch

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
I read that Rafiki's Planet Watch is going seasonal.... any info on this? I'm wondering if when we go (Nov. 28) that will be considered in season.... trying to plan which day for which park, and this is a big one for our toddlers.

Thank you.

I read that Rafiki's Planet Watch is going seasonal.... any info on this? I'm wondering if when we go (Nov. 28) that will be considered in season.... trying to plan which day for which park, and this is a big one for our toddlers.

Thank you.
Yes, it will close September 30th.

I expect seasonal means open only during high crowd times. I see how it will save money, but since it was never highly used, I don't see how it will help much with the high crowd days. I doubt even on crowded days that there are that many people going to see Rafiki's Planet Watch to make a dent in the crowd.

Glad we just went last week! We spent about 2 hours there. The girls really loved Affection Station and the walking trail. Sad to see such a big part of AK closing or going seasonal.

IMG_3448s.jpg

Last edited:
The calendar shows train times through Oct 6th. Wonder if they are closing the whole thing including the train ride or just the behind the scene part?
The calendars have not been updated as far as I know. Cast has been assigned elsewhere already.

I'm so disappointed. This takes a huge part away from AK. I do admit we didn't do it every time we went to AK, but when we did, the kids loved it. Fingers crossed they open it up more often than not. I wonder how early they'll announce seasonal hours.

Oh wow .. such disappointment. That was on the schedule to do on our trip in November. Preschoolers love petting zoos .. and train rides ... and character meets.
Why oh why do they need to close an attraction at Animal Kingdom that has so few attractions.

This is one of the unique attractions, along with the other two walking trails, that made Animal Kingdom like a zoo.

That being said .. it feels like such a waste of space. I am sure it is skipped by a TON of people and a lot of people leave in disappointment. --- A train that takes you to a vet hospital, a few character M&Gs and a petting zoo (after a short walk). If they have the room to do something else up there (not saying a ride -- maybe a Tom Sawyer's Island type of thing) .. it could be more of a draw.

Does shutting down an attraction in the off-season really save that much money? There isn't other areas that the parks could shave a few dollars besides shutting down an attraction?

Or does this mean (like Stitch) they have future plans for that space, but until they pull they trigger they wean everyone off of it?

Does shutting down an attraction in the off-season really save that much money? There isn't other areas that the parks could shave a few dollars besides shutting down an attraction?
Yes you don’t have to pay two CMs to be characters, and you save money on the train operation.

I would also say this means they plan to eventually close it to the public for good. They can’t just close it and demolish it though. The building holds offices and animal care facilities. They would have to build a new space for that if they we’re to demolish it. There is plenty of room before the build though where they could build something new and keep Rafikis.

Yes you don’t have to pay two CMs to be characters, and you save money on the train operation.

I would also say this means they plan to eventually close it to the public for good. They can’t just close it and demolish it though. The building holds offices and animal care facilities. They would have to build a new space for that if they we’re to demolish it. There is plenty of room before the build though where they could build something new and keep Rafikis.
@rteetz remind me, wasn't there some rumbling of expansion of AK in the area between Rafiki and the park? I realize this is probably mostly driven by cost savings...but could this be some precursor to that expansion starting or at least being looked at more?

@rteetz remind me, wasn't there some rumbling of expansion of AK in the area between Rafiki and the park? I realize this is probably mostly driven by cost savings...but could this be some precursor to that expansion starting or at least being looked at more?
Yes that’s always been an expansion plot. Right now this is being driven by cost savings like you said but certainly they are thinking long term too.

If I recall from maps, there really isn't anything "in" the train loop besides maybe a road? If they got rid of the train, seems like a lot of space for an expansion? AK needs it I think despite Pandora.

If I recall from maps, there really isn't anything "in" the train loop besides maybe a road? If they got rid of the train, seems like a lot of space for an expansion? AK needs it I think despite Pandora.
I am of two minds on this, for that matter on DHS as well.

First, lets be clear, I agree with almost all here, that DHS, then Epcot then AK needed more. That is my order by the by, maybe not most here ;)

Second - I am fearful of just adding more to parks after a major add. AK just got Pandora, and it is beautiful. Part of me wants to let the park breathe, then add more. I would personally love to see an austrailian or New Zealand add to the park, with maybe some kind of coral reef water ride(just my guessing...).

third - same with DHS. Do NOT get me wrong, once SW:GE opens, DHS will be a bloated fish waiting to sweat you. Crowds will be enormous. The adds of TSL and MMRR will help, but it will still be a mess. Adding even more construction will IMO only make it worse. I would much rather the park breathe, and then expand some more...updated Indy ride to replace stunt show, and some ride or add in the animation area.

Last but certainly not least(well it is for me as I am NOT and Epcot fan ;) ) - Epcot for sure is adding: FW -added theater to Soarin, GotG, Space restaurant, updated Mission space - rumored to also include - update to SSE, update land, potentially an add to WoL, and spine redo. Meanwhile WS - confirmed - new night show, Rat in France, Gondola, and not too long ago Frozen redo. Rumored adds - Brazil(with ride, possibly India(possible Jungle book boat ride??), UK ride OR Coco overlay in Mexico.

so that is a whole lot for parks that have basically been ignored.

Sorry to hear this. We enjoyed this pleasant attraction without a need for a FP, no crowds and no long lines.

WDWNT and BlogMickey are reporting a permanent closure on this starting October 21st. I am trying to get this confirmed.
Seen that in a few places suddenly. Misunderstanding maybe? But where did that date come from? If so I'll be spending some time there next week.

Closure is true. October 21st for the building to the public. Will remain open for animal care.

Characters that meet there will end September 29th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts