Random questions before my trip...

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
So we're leaving in a week for London and I have some random questions:

1. Do grocery stores expect you to bring carryout bags for your groceries?

2. Does anyone have any advice for doing laundry in British washers? I know they're a lot smaller than the ones we have at home.

3. Does anyone have any stain remover and unscented laundry detergent brands you recommend? My kids are super messy so I go through stain remover like it's water and I need unscented detergent because I have sensitive skin.

4. We may go to a few nice restaurants on the trip. What's considered appropriate dress?

5. Does anyone know of a good app for finding a parking place in a city and a good deal on petrol?

6. We'll be going as far as the Orkney Islands. How cold should I expect it to be in far north Scotland?

7. Is there anything I should know and pack that I wouldn't think of?

Thanks for all of the help and advice I've gotten. It's been invaluable.

1. It’s expected but you can buy bags for 5 pence.

2. They are quite a bit smaller and the cycle can take longer but ultimately it’s just a washing machine with different programmes. If you want a quicker cycle choose a lower temperature, say 30 degrees Celsius.

3. Vanish is a well known brand in Britain.

4. How nice are the restaurants? Most would be happy with smart casual. Dark non ripped jeans with a shirt or blouse on top.

5. Don’t know about an app for parking but for petrol, avoid getting petrol on the motorways, it will be at least 10pence dearer a litre compared to stations in the towns.

6. Between 12 and 18 degrees during the day. Possibly a little colder during the night. I would be prepared for rain however.

7. Midgie repellant for Scotland :)

Last edited:
Do you need special repellent for midges or can you use regular insect repellent?

Regular would be fine. You may not even come into contact with any, but if you plan any walking or hill climbing or BBQs outside later on in the day, they generally appear to strike you down lol.

The bites are harmless, just annoying more than anything.

1. There is a 5p tax on carrier bags. Most supermarkets sell bigger and stronger bags for about 10p. If you buy a few at your first shopping trip keep them in the car boot ready for the next time you need them. (I find they are just the right size for swimming stuff too :))

3. My son needs unscented laundry products. We use Surcare - probably not the best at cleaning but it doesn't irritate his skin. We do most washes at 40 degrees because of this.

5. I buy my petrol at the supermarket petrol station as it's cheaper than most other places. Oh, yes, and it's priced in litres so with just under 4 litres to the US gallon it is a lot more expensive than it appears at first glance.

Just note In Most Supermarkets if you need a Shopping Cart you will have to " Insert a Coin " To Release it

This is Refunded when you bring it back.

Are you Driving from London to The Orkney Islands ?

If yes then have you made arrangements for overnight stays as it is a long drive

I think most newer type cars will do 30 PLUS miles to a Gallon & AS POINTED OUT it is 4 Liters to a Gallon

so price of petrol will be expensive

Thanks for the advice. We are actually flying to Edinburgh from London and then taking a leisurely drive over a few days to the Orkneys. I had forgotten about the shopping cart deposit so thanks for the reminder.

I have another question that I just thought of. Can I use a US car phone charger in my rental car?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter