Rant Alert: So disappointed to see the "new" Mickey in Mickey's Mix Magic

I like the show and I think you listed a lot of the reasons why. Yeah, it's not my favorite ever, but it has great energy and is a lot of fun. I haven't stopped humming the song since my trip a few weeks ago. I like that it's casual and easy to get a spot for too. I don't think the every fireworks show has to have that similar, heart-string tugging, nostalgia inducing...thing that many have had. It's nice to change it up. It also probably won't be around forever since they seem to change it up more frequently now, so no worries from me.
This is pretty much how I feel. I haven’t seen it projection-only yet, so take that with a grain of salt, but every time I’ve seen it, people are having fun! I think it’s a good show for the current moment.

I definitely think it would suffer from being watched on a screen instead of with the in-person energy of being in the park.

I saw it a few days ago. I think it should be a separate show run once that is in addition to a regular fireworks show...maybe on the nights they don't have Fantasmic?

Yeah i agree, my least favorite fireworks show i've seen at DL, it's strange having that techno music on main street. But i will also agree the atmosphere with people dancing is nice, i took to just walking by and watching everyone dance with their family and friends rather than watching the show!

OP here - took my awhile to get back to the Dis after vacation, but I wanted to report back! While I still strongly dislike the animation of Mickey and friends now, I didn't hate the show as much as I thought I would. I love me some Jungle Book, so that part was a win. While BFF and I didn't go out of our way to see it, we just happened to be hopping over to DL as it was starting and it was kind of fun to watch people mad-dance down Main Street - including the CMs. If I just looked away from the projections during the Mickey parts, it was amusing. Seriously, the Mickey animation though... I just can't with it. We kept walking down Main Street towards the Matterhorn, and found that the line was so low we were able to basically walk-on before using our MP, so that was nice :) Wasn't enough to make us want to stop and watch anymore than we caught on our stroll through and wouldn't be sad if I never saw it again.

The concept that it can be seen in several places in the park is quite good

I personally love the new Mickey cartoons. It's nice to see Mickey get into shenanigans and not be perfect at everything(talking to you House of Mouse). And Minnie is an actual funny character too, not just Mickey's girlfriend. I admit I kind of dislike the new Goofy and the animation took a while to get used to but now I think it looks cute!

I personally love the new Mickey cartoons. It's nice to see Mickey get into shenanigans and not be perfect at everything(talking to you House of Mouse). And Minnie is an actual funny character too, not just Mickey's girlfriend. I admit I kind of dislike the new Goofy and the animation took a while to get used to but now I think it looks cute!

I agree. If you watch the early Mickey cartoons, he was a bit of a scamp (maybe even a <gasp> jerk). It tracks. I agree, Goofy's a little too grotesque, but it's okay. I haven't watched as many of the shorts as I should, but I've always enjoyed them when I see them.

Also, love your avatar - A Goofy Movie is the best! Welcome to the Dis!

I agree. If you watch the early Mickey cartoons, he was a bit of a scamp (maybe even a <gasp> jerk). It tracks. I agree, Goofy's a little too grotesque, but it's okay. I haven't watched as many of the shorts as I should, but I've always enjoyed them when I see them.

Also, love your avatar - A Goofy Movie is the best! Welcome to the Dis!

Aww, thank you!

I actually don't mind the animations. But the music doesn't really scream Fireworks to me. And I really miss the unique Fireworks Disney is famous for. Smiley faces, hearts the ones that looked like galaxies. They just cut costs since it will cost so much more to run star wars land. My favorite Fireworks show was when they themed it to the rides there and there were canon shots of the Matterhorn and lasers on main street. that was fun and nostalgic for me. I think they are after getting the younger people more into it. My 71 year old Mother couldn't keep up...
I miss the days when it at least appeared that Disney wasn't trying to cut costs.

Mickey's Mix Magic? Oh my gosh. This is the worst Disneyland fireworks show I have ever seen. I will explain a few reasons why I hate this show. One, this show did a horrible job celebrating Mickey's 90th birthday. Two, the songs are too cringeworthy. Three, the mixed songs including "Get Your Ears On" are not too catchy. And finally, the animation looks not good at all. It looks great, but I'm still not a huge fan of that show. Thank God they did the last show on June 6th. Now I won't have to watch that again, otherwise, it will be a waste of my time. I don't know who likes this fireworks show, but do you know who hates it? Me and everyone on the planet. We all think it is the worst show ever. So Mickey's Mix Magic stinks. Disneyland Forever will be a billion times better than Mickey's Mix Magic.

End of rant.

Wow, I'm surprised by the harsh reactions! We weren't sure after reading some of the reviews, but really enjoyed the show. The song is pretty catchy and the animations are neat, IMO.

However, we don't like watching it on Main Street. There's too much going on and it's overwhelming. But if you can view it in one direction (such as near castle), it's a fantastic show!

... Thank God they did the last show on June 6th. Now I won't have to watch that again...
Hate to break it to you, but it's not over... So I don't think "everyone on the planet" hates it. Maybe just a few people on the planet. ;) So maybe skip DL at night when the winds are acting up?

From the Disneyland Today Twitter:
Jul 21

The wind never bothered us anyway! On nights when Disneyland Forever is canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, the party will go on with a special performance of Mickey's Mix Magic!

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you, but it's not over... So I don't think "everyone on the planet" hates it. Maybe just a few people on the planet. ;) So maybe skip DL at night when the winds are acting up?

From the Disneyland Today Twitter:
Jul 21

The wind never bothered us anyway! On nights when Disneyland Forever is canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, the party will go on with a special performance of Mickey's Mix Magic!

How windy does the wind have to be for them to cancel Disneyland Forever, do you know?

Wow, I'm surprised by the harsh reactions! We weren't sure after reading some of the reviews, but really enjoyed the show. The song is pretty catchy and the animations are neat, IMO.

However, we don't like watching it on Main Street. There's too much going on and it's overwhelming. But if you can view it in one direction (such as near castle), it's a fantastic show!
I liked Mickey's Mix Magic. The current firework show is kind of boring to me.

I saw the show for the first time on my last trip, and I really tried to keep an open mind about it, but I did not like it at all. It felt like a dance party for little kids with crappy techno music. Which I guess is what they're going for, but it certainly doesn't appeal to me at all. My husband and I stayed for a few minutes, but found the music to be very annoying so we left.

While it isn't my all time favorite, I don't think it's bad at all. I actually appreciate the fact that they tried something "new". As it's been mentioned before, people seem to have a good time & the vibe is higher energy, which I actually like.

Not every show is a going to be a home run, but I'd much rather see newer shows take creative risk, that to stay with the safe (especially since it's not permanent).

And the song, It's Good Time, IS catchy, but it works better if you know the lyrics, lol. Granted, its not exactly Walt Whitman or Emily Dickerson, but when you have lyrics like "all my fellas is ready, all my ladies is with me & I'm looking dapper for the party & I'm walking in pretty....you know exactly what you're getting! The song is more about a specific mood & I think it succeeds in those regards.

There was alot of flossing & viral dancing going on when I saw it, lol. It might not be everyones cup of tea, but its still fun to watch how much people ARE having fun.

I'm always open for Disney to take chances with their shows & have new ideas....even if they all don't hit all the marks.

I liked Mickey's Mix Magic. The current firework show is kind of boring to me.

Interesting, I thought MMM was the current one! Is the current one Fantasy in the Sky or something? That one is always so short comparatively

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts