RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

Dh and I recently splurged on new luggage. A nice Samsonite set///a HUGE regular luggage and the matching smaller "roll-a-board". I flew American from Charlotte to LGA a few weeks ago and just took the roll-a-board. I knew it was larger than our old one and was fully prepared to be stopped at the gate and asked to gate check it. I am always amazed at the huge "carry-ons" people try to bring on board and thought for sure this one would not pass muster. At the gate the agent had me put it in the measuring thing and by golly it fit! I knew it had the right dimensions legally but it just seemed so HUGE. It also fit in the overheard. I was shocked! However...it JUST fit and if there were crowded bins it would never have made it.

Normally I see the issue being people don't efficiently put their bags up in the overhead bin. They put it length wise which can take up another bag's spot at least when it comes to wheeled carry ons and backpacks. The duffle bags can be more complicated since sometimes they are narrower but longer and sometimes they are wider but shorter.

That's definitely part of the issue too, but usually can be fixed pretty easily. A lot of times though, someone's carry-on is oversized and can only fit sideways. Part of the problem is not all airlines enforce the dimensions of each side of the carry on and allow people to bring bags with one side too long if the overall inches meet the requirement. For instance if the allowable dimensions are 18"x 14"x 8" and someone has a 22"x 10" x 8", some airlines allow it, but then the bag can only fit in the overhead bin sideways and usually there's not enough room to put another bag in front of it.

That's definitely part of the issue too, but usually can be fixed pretty easily. A lot of times though, someone's carry-on is oversized and can only fit sideways. Part of the problem is not all airlines enforce the dimensions of each side of the carry on and allow people to bring bags with one side too long if the overall inches meet the requirement. For instance if the allowable dimensions are 18"x 14"x 8" and someone has a 22"x 10" x 8", some airlines allow it, but then the bag can only fit in the overhead bin sideways and usually there's not enough room to put another bag in front of it.
Yeah I was more meaning when there's no more space to be had in the overhead bin (not meaning the purses and coats, etc just talking normal carryon bags). It takes the flight attendants wanting to shuffle things around and usually they only do a cursory adjustment because they are trying to get everyone on board and out as soon as possible. If people loaded correctly it would take less time after the fact for adjustments.

You're right on the oversized carry ons. My husband and I will only take the smallest rolling luggage as our carry on and that's not every time. Otherwise it's a backpack (that's not a monstrosity) and I'll have my bag that counts as a personal item. My husband will put his backpack under his seat normally until basically all have boarded. Then if there's room he'll move it to the overhead bin--him being 6' 5 1/2'' he'll take the legroom if he can lol.

You're right on the oversized carry ons. My husband and I will only take the smallest rolling luggage as our carry on and that's not every time. Otherwise it's a backpack (that's not a monstrosity) and I'll have my bag that counts as a personal item. My husband will put his backpack under his seat normally until basically all have boarded. Then if there's room he'll move it to the overhead bin--him being 6' 5 1/2'' he'll take the legroom if he can lol.

I wish more people would do this! We do take rolling luggage, but fit it in on it's side like you're supposed to. It drives me crazy when people ignore the signs and put their luggage sideways or put small backpacks in the overhead. I think many people just don't pay attention or think about other people. What's worse is I had to stop my own DH from doing both those things on our last flight. ARGH!! (I was shocked because I thought he knew better!)

I wish more people would do this! We do take rolling luggage, but fit it in on it's side like you're supposed to. It drives me crazy when people ignore the signs and put their luggage sideways or put small backpacks in the overhead. I think many people just don't pay attention or think about other people. What's worse is I had to stop my own DH from doing both those things on our last flight. ARGH!! (I was shocked because I thought he knew better!)

Eh. I don't take a roll on bag as my carry on. On purpose. I take a back pack. I don't care to put it under the seat in front of me because I have long legs and I NEED that space for my feet. So, yes, I DO put my single carry on item (I have no purse, no roll on bag....JUST the backpack) in the overhead bin and I feel not one bit of remorse for doing so. My back pack takes up FAR less space than most people's carry on luggage. They have no superior rights to that space over mine. I just choose to use it for a different kind of bag. A few times people have gotten all pissy with me, and I've always graciously offered to store my backpack under the seat in front of them. They are never interested in that solution, oddly enough. If the rule becomes ONLY roll on bags in the overhead, I suppose I could stick my backpack in a roll on and store it overhead. But, that seems kind of stupid, no?

I also read the bolded, intended or not, as someone saying "hey I have two large roll ons that I need to get in....consider me and keep your ONE small bag on the floor." When my husband and I travel together, the sum total of our carryons is ONE backpack (mine). His wallet in in his pocket. Mine is in the backpack. That's ALL we take. I honestly feel I am being very considerate of others on the plane by keeping my personal items on the plane to a bare minimum, and darn it, if I'm not going to use small bit of overhead space. People who bring large amounts of carry on bags and then complain about lack of space are not being considerate of others in my book.

Personally, I'd love a rule that eliminates ALL carry ons, save for backpack or smaller. Think about how much faster it would go for everyone? And, there would be no battles over the overhead bin. We'd eliminate gate lice (which are mainly about scoring the overhead space, not getting quickly to their uncomfortable seat). And, boarding and leaving the plane would be a lot smoother.

Last edited:

When I took my roll-a-board on the flights mentioned above, the FA went and turned it so that it was in wheels first, on its "back".

Eh. I don't take a roll on bag as my carry on. On purpose. I take a back pack. I don't care to put it under the seat in front of me because I have long legs and I NEED that space for my feet. So, yes, I DO put my single carry on item (I have no purse, no roll on bag....JUST the backpack) in the overhead bin and I feel not one bit of remorse for doing so. My back pack takes up FAR less space than most people's carry on luggage. They have no superior rights to that space over mine. I just choose to use it for a different kind of bag. A few times people have gotten all pissy with me, and I've always graciously offered to store my backpack under the seat in front of them. They are never interested in that solution, oddly enough. If the rule becomes ONLY roll on bags in the overhead, I suppose I could stick my backpack in a roll on and store it overhead. But, that seems kind of stupid, no?
Um..I didn't get the impression of the PP's comments that you seem to have.

It's ideal for items that can fit under the seat to be placed under the seat so more items can fit in the overhead bin. If push came to shove an FA could have you put your backpack under the seat. It's happened before on flights. Every now and then an FA will ask a passenger to place X under their seat to squeeze a bit of room up in the overhead bin though it's not common in my experience because usually they are trying as quickly as possible to get pushed off the gate.

It's not bad nor wrong to put your backpack in the overhead bin it's just in my husband's case he will put his backpack under his seat and then move it to the overhead bin if there's space.

I think the issue really becomes when people already have a carry on and a personal item (and sometimes multiple items that would be counted as personal items like purses, shopping bags, etc) and store both up in the overhead bin because they don't want to put anything by their feet.

It would seem fruitless to converse on your 'solution' you put forth but yeah.

When I took my roll-a-board on the flights mentioned above, the FA went and turned it so that it was in wheels first, on its "back".
I've seen it both ways. When space gets real low I've seen them turn them on their sides still the the wheels towards the back of the bin but IME again it's cursory adjustments done.

So usually you'll do this:

upload_2018-6-18_20-38-8.png

But FAs can move them to this configuration for optimization of overhead bin space and that would be the most ideal for fitting as much carry on bags (if everyone did that or most everyone there would be a lot less time spent moving bags around and trying to find space):
upload_2018-6-18_20-40-3.png

The worst in terms of how people put in their bags into the overhead bin is this:
upload_2018-6-18_20-47-19.png

I think airlines should allow one checked bag and one personal item, and charge for the one acceptable carry on.
I think this actually makes sense, but it would still require personal items to go under the seat.

Eh. I don't take a roll on bag as my carry on. On purpose. I take a back pack. I don't care to put it under the seat in front of me because I have long legs and I NEED that space for my feet. So, yes, I DO put my single carry on item (I have no purse, no roll on bag....JUST the backpack) in the overhead bin and I feel not one bit of remorse for doing so. My back pack takes up FAR less space than most people's carry on luggage.

I didn't think the other poster meant people bringing a backpack instead of a rolling bag, I think they meant people bringing both, and putting both in the bin, taking up someone else's slot. I think you're fine with just one bag.

So usually you'll do this:

upload_2018-6-18_20-38-8-png.330788

But FAs can move them to this configuration for optimization of overhead bin space and that would be the most ideal for fitting as much carry on bags (if everyone did that or most everyone there would be a lot less time spent moving bags around and trying to find space):
upload_2018-6-18_20-40-3-png.330790
Wouldn't the second picture require taller overhead bins? THAT'S what would allow you to stack the luggage like the second picture. I'm guessing the second picture is of a large plane and the first is of a "standard" sized plane or smaller. There's no way you're setting the three bags in the first picture on their sides.

Wouldn't the second picture require taller overhead bins? THAT'S what would allow you to stack the luggage like the second picture. I'm guessing the second picture is of a large plane and the first is of a "standard" sized plane or smaller. There's no way you're setting the three bags in the first picture on their sides.
Obviously you're working with the bin size you have......don't over think the pictures here it was a very quick Google search to depict what I was saying as far as the ways items are stored directionally in a bin.

Obviously you're working with the bin size you have......don't over think the pictures here it was a very quick Google search to depict what I was saying as far as the ways items are stored directionally in a bin.
Right. My point is only that putting cases on their sides (instead of their backs) isn't always an option and people shouldn't assume "oh, we can put 5 cases here instead of three".

Right. My point is only that putting cases on their sides (instead of their backs) isn't always an option and people shouldn't assume "oh, we can put 5 cases here instead of three".
I know it isn't always an option but I thought that was sorta self-explanatory..

If it can't fit it can't fit but lots of times people don't even think about that option they usually do what's in the first photo without a second thought to another direction your bag may be able to fit (that was ultimately my point).

Let's preface my comment then with if your bag is able to (either because it's small enough with a smaller bin or the bin size allows it when you're bag is larger height-wise) putting it on its side (like in picture 2) allows for optimization of the bin space.

I prefer to gate check as opposed to try and deal with the overhead storage. I take my laptop bag that sits under the seat and gate check my carry-on (if I have one).

To each their own. To me, gate checking defeats the purpose of "carry on". Especially when, in most cases, they make you go to baggage claim to retrieve your gate checked luggage. Whenever I carry on my luggage instead of checking it, its usually because I don't want to hassle with baggage claim or because time is of the essence.

I think they ought to better enforce carry on sizes, and not let people get away with putting multiple items in the overhead bin. A lot of times when they run out of bin space, it's because people bring oversized luggage on board that takes up more than their allotted space, then they shove jackets, purses, and other personal belongings up there, which prevents others from being able to put their carry on bag in the overhead bin.

Agreed. Although I think we see more carry on bags in general due to baggage fees. I fly Southwest a lot, who allow two free checked bags per person, and don't usually see lack of overhead storage space on those flights. Its comfortably full but usually at least space for everyone.

Often, even if I've checked a bag, I'll carry one on. Carrying a bag on does have some benefits...
1) No waiting at baggage claim for the plane to be unloaded.
2) No worry of the airline "misdirecting" your bag.
3) If there is an issue requiring an overnight stay without your checked bag, you have what you need.

I've also only taken a backpack (that fits under the seat in front of me). That also has advantages. FWIW, I have the Delta AmEx card, so I don't pay for a checked bag.

True, some people may still carry on a bag in addition to checking one. Although for #1 and #3, if you've checked a bag, you'd need to go to baggage claim regardless and the checked bag can still be misdirected. For me, if I've checked a bag, I'm not hassling with another carry on size rolling bag as well, which is what usually goes in the overhead bins taking up space. I will bring a backpack or shoulder bag with things I will need that fits under the seat in front of me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!