RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I will chime in again here!
I like the idea of boarding the rear of the plane first... with FA's monitoring the overheads so that those passengers can not open the forward overhead baggage and putting their bags in the sections in front of them. That actually makes sense to me... The rear passengers, who are flying super economy coach can get there early board first, filling the plane from the back... progressing until First Class can just walk up and walk-on more last minute, before departure. That idea works for me.

If we are talking about boarding and the fight for overhead space... I think that FA monitoring is the missing key???

I am thinking that some, older, aircraft overhead bins might not be quite deep enough to load some bags wheels-first, or up on it's side??? I have heard of newer aircraft with the redesigned overhead bins that work much better. Maybe that is why some people don't think they can just shove it in wheels first?

We fly occasionally... Not frequent flyers by any means. Usually fly Delta since we are near a major Delta hub. And we have never had any problem placing our one shared roll-on overhead near our seats. Maybe we are lucky. I will not fly without a decent amount of carry-on luggage, as often as we hear about lost or delayed baggage!!!!

Just for me, if I can come out ahead by switching seats, then I might be very accommodating!!! But, you should plan on moving to sit next to your family member to the rear... Not moving them up to take MY seat!!!! That probably ain't gonna happen!

There used to be a place on the plane that held garment bags. It was in the front of the plane and looked like a closet with a bar in it. Flight attendants would hang them there.

There still is on most planes. When I was in the military, we were required to carry our service uniforms on when we were going to check into a new duty station. There's a closet at the front of most planes and usually one at the back as well. DH works for one of the major budget airlines and their planes still have the closets. I had a guitar stored there once too. The airline actually told me to carry it on rather than check it so it wouldn't be damaged.

I actually remember flights where the FA took my garment bag and stored it into a closet up front designed to hold them!

Yup. You can still ask to store something there, they just don't make it widely known that they're available or everybody would expect to use it.

There still is on most planes. When I was in the military, we were required to carry our service uniforms on when we were going to check into a new duty station. There's a closet at the front of most planes and usually one at the back as well. DH works for one of the major budget airlines and their planes still have the closets. I had a guitar stored there once too. The airline actually told me to carry it on rather than check it so it wouldn't be damaged.

Yup. You can still ask to store something there, they just don't make it widely known that they're available or everybody would expect to use it.
That's how I knew about it.

Dad always carried on a uniform and had it placed in the closet.

I will chime in again here!
I like the idea of boarding the rear of the plane first... with FA's monitoring the overheads so that those passengers can not open the forward overhead baggage and putting their bags in the sections in front of them. That actually makes sense to me... The rear passengers, who are flying super economy coach can get there early board first, filling the plane from the back... progressing until First Class can just walk up and walk-on more last minute, before departure. That idea works for me.

If we are talking about boarding and the fight for overhead space... I think that FA monitoring is the missing key???

I am thinking that some, older, aircraft overhead bins might not be quite deep enough to load some bags wheels-first, or up on it's side??? I have heard of newer aircraft with the redesigned overhead bins that work much better. Maybe that is why some people don't think they can just shove it in wheels first?

We fly occasionally... Not frequent flyers by any means. Usually fly Delta since we are near a major Delta hub. And we have never had any problem placing our one shared roll-on overhead near our seats. Maybe we are lucky. I will not fly without a decent amount of carry-on luggage, as often as we hear about lost or delayed baggage!!!!

Just for me, if I can come out ahead by switching seats, then I might be very accommodating!!! But, you should plan on moving to sit next to your family member to the rear... Not moving them up to take MY seat!!!! That probably ain't gonna happen!

That would never happen. First Class is generally for an airlines mega frequent fliers. And, they want to keep those people happy. One way to do that is to let them board first, get comfortably seated, get that pre-departure beverage served, and then everyone else boards. If you pay attention, you'll notice most of the people in First Class have a beverage in front of them when you walk by. Take that away, and watch them scream. LOL. Don't believe me? Check out any of the threads among the elite flyers on flyer talk. :-) They keep careful tabs on how often the FAs miss the PDB.

And, I thought someone up thread posted about the "myth" of boarding from the back being faster? You are 100% correct that people generally at the back are your super economy flyers. There is very little incentive for an airline to keep those people happy. They are people who care mainly about price and not service. And, if they deliver lousy service to them in the form of making them board last, and having to fight for overhead space, it doesn't matter as much. People in "economy comfort" and "first class" DO care about service. They've paid extra for those seats and expect a little something more. Those are the people the airline strives to keep from complaining.

Ohhhh, I see you are right about that pre-flight beverage!!!! Hahaha!!!
But, I don't see being ushered to the cramped loud back of the plane to sit there the longest, as a plus!!!

Maybe I was thinking that those First Class folks would be sitting comfy and high and dry in the premium lounge???
I wouldn't know, myself!!!!

I actually remember flights where the FA took my garment bag and stored it into a closet up front designed to hold them!

I got married in 2015 and those closets still existed as on both flights my carried aboard wedding dress was placed in one...

I think boarding from the back would be so much more efficient, too, as a PP stated. When you get on and there are traffic jams in the middle of the plane because people are scrambling to (1) find a place for their luggage and (2) deciding who should sit where, it holds up the whole boarding process. I like the idea of those boarding from rear forward are kept an eye on to be sure they aren't throwing their carryons in bins that are not near their actual seats.

I think it would work better to board from the front to back----people stop in the aisle no matter what---but no one wants to walk PAST their seat to stow luggage. Those sitting near the front would not go to the back to store bags, so they*d end up filling the space in their own area and leaving space in the rear areas for those later boarders.

I agree with the back to front boarding and maybe do just First Class first and then begin back to front. Boarding a plane is the absolute worst! When we get off, I always tell my kids and husband to just stay put and we get off last. I always make sure we have plenty of time for connections, because with 3 kids we like to stop at restrooms and re-organize!

We got married in WDW and the minute we boarded the plane, the FA asked if I wanted my dress and husband's tux in the closet, we were also flying with most of our wedding party and they tried to get as many suits and dresses in the closets as well! (Front and back on United)

Perhaps rewatch the Mythbusters proof that back to front is the least efficient boarding method? Proof outrank opinion.
Flight attendants monitoring - and arguing over - who puts their luggage where would (a) impede boarding and (b) therefore be unable to perform their actual, necessary work.
Super Economy is not necessarily the rear of the plane. More/most frequently, said passengers would be given middle seats throughout the aircraft.
First Class passengers can, may, and do board at any point, but boarding last negates the perk of free beverages.
and (2) deciding who should sit where,
a
Except on Southwest, there needn't be any negotiating who sits where. Sit in the seat indicated on the boarding pass.Not

Yes, the mythbusters proved that Southwest had the FASTEST boarding procedure with a free for all. It, however, also ranked dead last in terms of customer satisfaction. So, it's a tradeoff. After that, the "best" way was all windows, all middles, then all aisles (first/business class excepted). Of course, this means families couldn't go all at the same time because families generally like to board together. This one also got fairly positive reviews from consumers. Slowest was back to front.....by a LONG shot. Customers liked it, but planes on the ground don't make money, so airlines don't. You need a middle ground....ok with consumers, and much faster for airlines.

I had an aisle seat once. Prefer them. The lady next to me asked if we could swap. Being the sap I am, I obliged and spent the rest of the trip in the middle. Not cool. But then, I'm a soft touch. TBH, I think it's a rotten thing to do to another person. You book a seat you want to travel in. If they chance it at the airport or worse, pre-book a seat they don't want, they should have to make do IMO.

Yes, the mythbusters proved that Southwest had the FASTEST boarding procedure with a free for all. It, however, also ranked dead last in terms of customer satisfaction. So, it's a tradeoff. After that, the "best" way was all windows, all middles, then all aisles (first/business class excepted). Of course, this means families couldn't go all at the same time because families generally like to board together. This one also got fairly positive reviews from consumers. Slowest was back to front.....by a LONG shot. Customers liked it, but planes on the ground don't make money, so airlines don't. You need a middle ground....ok with consumers, and much faster for airlines.
I'm honestly betting that if people got to their destination faster enough times their customer satisfaction rating would adjust.

vs. boarding with their family? I'll take that bet.
I'm not speaking of all scenarios..again thought it was self explanatory..lol Sorry I can't possibly think of all the ins and outs. I was however speaking to the bulk..don't most people enjoy it when they get to their destination faster. I know I like it when we push off the gate quickly because the boarding went smoothly as opposed to a slower boarding.

You can't have a toddler boarding themselves obviously and I don't think the airline would even suggest forcing a toddler to board themselves because they were the middle seat and their caregiver was the window seat....

I'm speaking in generalities..guess I needed to specify that lol.

ETA: And I believe in the video weren't they testing with adults? I honestly can't remember seeing children though I could be wrong and I thought we were speaking towards the satisfaction level of the mythbusters video.

I'm not speaking of all scenarios..again thought it was self explanatory..lol Sorry I can't possibly think of all the ins and outs. I was however speaking to the bulk..don't most people enjoy it when they get to their destination faster. I know I like it when we push off the gate quickly because the boarding went smoothly as opposed to a slower boarding.

You can't have a toddler boarding themselves obviously and I don't think the airline would even suggest forcing a toddler to board themselves because they were the middle seat and their caregiver was the window seat....

I'm speaking in generalities..guess I needed to specify that lol.

ETA: And I believe in the video weren't they testing with adults? I honestly can't remember seeing children though I could be wrong and I thought we were speaking towards the satisfaction level of the mythbusters video.
I don't think it's just kids... it's husband and wife, BF/GF, adult kids, etc. Do I wish flights would be quicker? Sure, but most of them aren't going to be quick enough to really make a difference.

FWIW, I'm speaking in generalities also... if you offer folks 5 minutes less of boarding (because that's about all it is), would they take that if it meant they would be separated from their traveling companions for a few minutes? I don't think so.

I don't think it's just kids... it's husband and wife, BF/GF, adult kids, etc. Do I wish flights would be quicker? Sure, but most of them aren't going to be quick enough to really make a difference.

FWIW, I'm speaking in generalities also... if you offer folks 5 minutes less of boarding (because that's about all it is), would they take that if it meant they would be separated from their traveling companions for a few minutes? I don't think so.
Ok..take it as YMMV then...because I'm not about to debate all the hypotheticals out there.

All I will say is on SWA when my husband was A-list and I was flying on Companion...I was separated from him because he always had low A boarding and I wasn't near that low even in Bs and I somehow managed. In an assigned seating airline you're going to be sitting next to each other anyways. When I flew Delta on points and boarded 2 zones back from my husband (as he is the Delta Amex CC holder) I was separated and I managed. Sorta seems strange to focus on the people who freak out completely because they would be temporarily separated from their traveling companion, who is perfectly capable of being alone, during boarding (excluding the what ifs of anxiety, etc who may qualify for pre-boarding).

Anywho.

Ok..take it as YMMV then...because I'm not about to debate all the hypotheticals out there.

All I will say is on SWA when my husband was A-list and I was flying on Companion...I was separated from him because he always had low A boarding and I wasn't near that low even in Bs and I somehow managed. In an assigned seating airline you're going to be sitting next to each other anyways. When I flew Delta on points and boarded 2 zones back from my husband (as he is the Delta Amex CC holder) I was separated and I managed. Sorta seems strange to focus on the people who freak out completely because they would be temporarily separated from their traveling companion, who is perfectly capable of being alone, during boarding (excluding the what ifs of anxiety, etc who may qualify for pre-boarding).

Anywho.
I'm not looking for a debate, I don't understand why you keep bringing up "all the hypotheticals". You made the statement that you think a quicker boarding time (in theory leading to getting to destination quicker, but I doubt that too) would increase their satisfaction. I simply said I disagree with that. Would some people like it? Sure. I don't think many would, there's not enough of a benefit.

I'm not looking for a debate, I don't understand why you keep bringing up "all the hypotheticals". You made the statement that you think a quicker boarding time (in theory leading to getting to destination quicker, but I doubt that too) would increase their satisfaction. I simply said I disagree with that. Would some people like it? Sure. I don't think many would, there's not enough of a benefit.
I think it's because you brought something into the equation that I wasn't speaking to--i.e. separating from families. I thought that was a no brainer that what I was talking about wasn't meaning you'd have the toddler board by themselves simply because they were the middle seat and their parent was the window seat. Pre-board and family boarding would remain the same because there is specifically a reason for that. But for adults? If enough people got to their destination faster enough times I'm thinking their satisfaction level with boarding would change and a temporary separation would be a blip on someone's radar if they got to their destination consistently faster than before. Then again from your standpoint that I got there's enough people who are completely dependent on being right next to their traveling companion for 100% of the time and can't handle a separation of something like 5 or 10 mins.

No method is going to be perfect for all people but generally speaking most people like to get to their destination faster and spending time in your seat, getting up and out of the way should a passenger need the middle or the window seat, or on the jetway or at the gate standing waiting for their boarding to start only to be usually held up waiting on the jetway, etc doesn't get you there faster. Smooth and quick boarding is a rarety in my experience although admittedly SWA is my fav way of boarding, but even then you've got people here on the Boards here freaking out because they got a B3 like it's the end of the world so yeah won't be perfect for everyone.

ETA: I know you're not necessarily looking for a debate.

Last edited:
What is your opinion on this :

On another site a person is traveling with family and kids 2,4,6 two 12 year olds and teens. Ended up purchasing what she claims she did know was Basic Economy on Delta via Priceline and is now panicked about seats together. Claims she never was informed BE. Well if you do a mock Priceline booking it does clearly state at least twice it's Basic Economy and no seat selection.

She's called Delta and they said they can't assign seats. People are saying they most likely will be split with middle seats. Or Delta might be able to seat them with smaller kids.

If asked and you paid for your seat knowing these facts would you move. Knowing you have to agree to terms of Basic Economy prior to purchase and either chose to not read or ignore because of price difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter