Ravagers don’t dance- but we do! A Marvel Day at Sea DCL TR Updated 11/21

Let’s just get this whole travel-day nonsense out of the way. I’ll start off by saying that it was pretty painless. Everything was on time and generally the travel was pretty smooth.
Well... that's good!
And we somehow experienced a Valentine’s Day Miracle, because the man who had been in the seat next to me kindly agreed to switch with Jon. So we were able to sit next to each other after all.
Nice of him. :)
We left the bitter midwest cold and landed in beautiful, balmy weather.
Oh, how I love that... and miss that.
Ah IHOP, the most romantic of 24-hour breakfast chains.
Huh. And here I thought it was Perkins. I am learning so much already!
Do you know why I can’t remember what we got? Not only did I neglect to take any notes, but I ALSO didn’t take any food pics. Way to start the trip off right, Ann.
Er mer gerd! Like what is wrong with you????

my brain and my body didn’t connect on that point and one of the two decided it was fine to just go ahead and get up early anyway.

Rude.
Oh, how I can relate. For weeks that's been happening to me.
"I get to sleep in tomorrow! Yay!"... "Why am I up at 6am??"
Cinnamon rolls were involved, so I know it couldn’t have been too bad.
::yes::
remember taking this picture so I could report back on what DCL was doing to keep their ships clear of Covid-19. HA.
No, no. I'm sure it will work and no one on any ship will get sick. I'm sure of it.
I was excited to meet Captain Minnie but definitely didn’t realize she hadn’t been promoted to captain on all of the ships yet.
I didn't know she'd been made captain on any ship.
My excitement rose to nearly astronomical levels as we walked up the gangway.
:goodvibes
Plus there’s something so special about hearing your family’s name announced as you walk in. I’m so glad Disney does that.
Hoping to experience that someday.
I also ordered a glass of Moscato because it’s VACATION and I can do what I WANT.
:laughing:
For appetizers Jon got the empanada
That sucker's big!
Jon got a Caesar salad as a main, which honestly shocked me since he’s not much of a salad guy.
Did you ask him about it? Was there a reason? Or he just felt like it.
I got the pennette pasta that was topped with some goat cheese, which is one of those foods that Jon and I don’t agree on.
Ah! So you order food with goat cheese when you're hungry and don't want to share. Got it.
I love getting carrot cake on vacation because normally at home if we get dessert like that at a restaurant we share so we never get the carrot cake since he doesn’t like it. But on vacation we don’t follow the same rules so I get all the carrot cake I want.
One thing I love about doing the ship tours is you get to meet someone from the entertainment staff and it’s always good to have a friend from the staff right away.
Good to know. I'd do the tour anyway, but...
Ah sweet and blessed Coke Zero, how I love thee
:)
(anyone else in love with how much storage space there is in the Disney cruise cabins??)
Nope! Since I've never set foot on a cruise ship before.
I made sure we were there right at 3:30pm. Well right at 3:30 they made an announcement that the drill would start in 30 minutes.
:headache:
Jon gave me his I-can’t-believe-you-made-me-leave-early-just-to-sit-here-and-be-bored look and I replied with my I’d-rather-be-bored-for-a-few-minutes-than-late face.
Photos of said faces?
Great shot! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to hearing more. I’m really missing my vacations today. :-(
Same! I saw a commercial yesterday for hotels dot come I think and it was like, "Places. Do you remember places? Not-your-house places?" and it was hilarious but also so sad.

Enjoying your trip report! Where did you stay in Miami that has a shuttle to the port? That sounds really convenient!
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express - Miami International Airport. The shuttle wasn't free but I think it was only like $15 per person. We just had to reserve it the night before.

Huh. And here I thought it was Perkins. I am learning so much already!
Maybe Perkins is more romantic in Canada? Do you have Perkins in Canada? Around here it's mostly students who use it for the free wifi and cheap coffee at 3am.

Er mer gerd! Like what is wrong with you????
I know you can't see me, but just know that my head is hung in shame.

Oh, how I can relate. For weeks that's been happening to me.
"I get to sleep in tomorrow! Yay!"... "Why am I up at 6am??"
It's just such a betrayal, you know??

No, no. I'm sure it will work and no one on any ship will get sick. I'm sure of it.
Nope, we'll be cruising all year. 2020: The Year of the Cruise

I didn't know she'd been made captain on any ship.
Yeah our girl got a promotion!

Did you ask him about it? Was there a reason? Or he just felt like it.
I think he just felt like it. Something along the lines considering it his one vegetable of the trip, maybe?

Ah! So you order food with goat cheese when you're hungry and don't want to share. Got it.
Precisely ::yes::

Nope! Since I've never set foot on a cruise ship before.
Well, there is an incredible amount of storage in Disney rooms.

Photos of said faces?
Nah I'm usually too flustered in the moment to snap a pic. But it was some variation on the following:

Great shot! :thumbsup2
Thanks! It was the only time I saw the atrium that empty so I figured I might as well document it.

Following along. Looking forward to reading more about your cruise. Sorry about all your other trips that got canceled. I moved this September to next September and had booked a back up December before they stopped taking reservations earlier. So here’s hoping we get to take our next planned trips !

Following along. Looking forward to reading more about your cruise. Sorry about all your other trips that got canceled. I moved this September to next September and had booked a back up December before they stopped taking reservations earlier. So here’s hoping we get to take our next planned trips !
I just keep thinking about how happy I am that we at least got this cruise in before everything shut down. Now we're patiently waiting for things to get better so we can get back out there!

Reactions: DLo
Maybe Perkins is more romantic in Canada? Do you have Perkins in Canada? Around here it's mostly students who use it for the free wifi and cheap coffee at 3am.
We do have Perkins. I've even eaten there... I think maybe twice before I gave up in disgust. I mean... it's really bad.
But yes... my DD sometimes goes there for all-nighters.
I know you can't see me, but just know that my head is hung in shame.
Take a selfie. I need to see your shame.
It's just such a betrayal, you know??
Unfortunately. 3.5 hours of sleep today.
Nope, we'll be cruising all year. 2020: The Year of the Cruise
Completely do-able!
Yeah our girl got a promotion!
Nah I'm usually too flustered in the moment to snap a pic. But it was some variation on the following:
:lmao:

C’est la Mickey

Right after the drill was the Sail-A-Wave party but it was raining out so they moved it to the atrium instead of the pool deck.

Side note: On our first Disney cruise the Sail-A-Wave party was overcast and misting and I was looking forward to having one out in the sunshine for once. I guess we’ll have to wait until next time for that.

Anyway, the area around the atrium was already pretty packed when we got there. We found some space behind some folks on one of the upper decks to watch. We couldn’t see much (and it was framed by other people’s butts) but it was high energy and super fun anyway.

When the party wrapped up we realized that far too much time had elapsed between meals/snacks. We braved the rain and went up to get some ice cream, cookies, and something to drink. We ate at a table on the pool deck that was under cover and soaked in that “I can’t believe I’m on a Disney cruise” feeling.

To burn off some of our snack calories we walked around a bit and noticed that the adult pool area was pretty empty. We wanted to take advantage of the lack of people so we went back to the room to change into our swimsuits. While we were there we got to see the Symphony of the Seas pull out of the dock.

That ship is absolutely massive, it’s incredible. They have balcony rooms that face the interior of the ship. It’s nuts!

The rain stopped by the time we got back up to the pool area but it was still misting. The hot tubs were under some cover so it didn’t bother us, especially since we were the only ones there. While we were chilling (or is it warming if you’re in a hot tub?) the ship started to pull out to sea and we were officially sailing away!

Soon it was time for another outfit change – this time to get ready for the nightly show. As we walked back to our stateroom we noticed that we could feel the ship moving. Like a lot.

On our first cruise (on the Dream) I didn’t notice movement at all except on our very last night while we were sleeping. But ship movement was definitely more noticeable on the smaller ship. It didn’t bother either of us or make us sick but it was a weird feeling for sure.

Anyway we got great seats for the show, which was Twice Charmed - a spin on Cinderella. Before the show started there were lots of announcements by the cruise director, who was this super fun guy from New Zealand.

Do I remember his name? No. Is that okay because I wrote it in my notes? Also no.

So we sat, enjoying the show when suddenly something weird happened. The stage lights and sound went down and all the actors just walked off stage in the middle of a scene. Then they made an announcement letting us know that there were technical difficulties and the show would be back on soon. Has that ever happened to you on a cruise?

While we waited some of the cruise staff came out and did some Disney trivia, and I even got to answer one of the questions. They asked where Walt Disney was born and after a couple wrong answers I couldn’t stand it anymore so I shot my hand up and informed everyone that his birthplace was, in fact, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, Earth, The Milky Way.

Side note: I’m not competitive about anything. Except Disney trivia. I will destroy friendships when it comes to Disney trivia.

After probably a 20 minute break they brought the show back. I don’t want to spoil anything so I’ll just say it was really cute and a fun twist on the classic story of Cinderella.

The delay made us a tad bit late for our next activity, which was the DVC member celebration. It was less of a celebration and more of a sales pitch, but there were free drinks so it was okay (you’ll find that free drinks are a good enough incentive for me to do pretty much anything).

It was basically a few different presentations on the new resorts and some incentives to add-on while onboard. It didn’t last very long and the free drink was very good so in my opinion it was worth it. I think they also had some drawings for some onboard credit but we didn’t win those.

We went straight from that to dinner, which was at Animator’s Palate.

One thing I like about Disney is that you share tables with others and you stay with them throughout the whole cruise. As an introvert I’m honestly shocked that I like this arrangement. Jon really loves it, because as an extrovert he is always looking to make new friends.

Our table mates were once again awesome (the group on our Dream cruise was fantastic). We were grouped with two other childless millennial couples and we found all sorts of stuff to talk about, and even spent time together outside of dinner. But more on that later.
Dinner itself was fantastic. We started with the garlic and herb focaccia, then Jon and I got the same starters and entrees: black truffle pasta pursiettes and lemon-thyme marinated chicken breast.

Toward the end of dinner was the special show at AP and it was so cute. And by so cute I mean I teared up at dinner in front of strangers. C’est la Mickey.

Right after the show was dessert time. I had the specialty dessert, which was the lemon icebox pie, and Jon got the cookies and cream sundae. Both were fantastic and a fun way to end the meal.

We parted ways with our table mates. I wanted to check out the Marvel gear shop since I knew it would be packed the next day.

Surprisingly, I found much less merch to take home than I expected. Nothing really spoke to me except a couple of pins. Oh well, more money for wine.

That took up the time until our evening activity – trivia. We decided to meet up with one of our dinner couple friends to see how we could do as a trivia team (I warned Jon about my competitiveness in this area, worried that I would ruin a friendship before it even had a chance to begin, but he didn’t seem to think it would be an issue). Our host was Axel – the same host from the ship tour. He remembered us and there were high fives all around.

Sigh, remember when we used to be able to high five people?

Trivia was fun, there were probably about 30 people there all split into groups. One group had like 10 people on it which felt like cheating but whatever. Axel was a great host and was funny with his accent. He had to repeat things quite a bit but one time he was asked to repeat a question and he was like “Sometimes it’s not the accent, sometimes you just don’t know the answer.” We all got a great laugh out of that.

I felt pretty good about our odds going into scoring, but we lost by 1.5 points. It was a definite team effort and was not the only time we would join trivia forces on the cruise. And no friendships were ruined. Yet.

Right after trivia they started The Feud (which is Family Feud without the copyright issues). We stuck around but lost energy pretty quickly. Most of the trivia gang stuck around and they just split us into two big groups. Our group didn’t win (which I was okay with – it’s not real trivia after all) and we were ready for bed when it was over.

Up next: a Marvel-ous day at sea!

Prepare for a LOT of quotes.
Side note: On our first Disney cruise the Sail-A-Wave party was overcast and misting and I was looking forward to having one out in the sunshine for once. I guess we’ll have to wait until next time for that.
That's happened a few times. It's unfortunate, but it happens.
When the party wrapped up we realized that far too much time had elapsed between meals/snacks.
Of course it had! All the food must be eaten.
While we were chilling (or is it warming if you’re in a hot tub?) the ship started to pull out to sea and we were officially sailing away!
I believe that it would be warming in a hot tub. Deep thoughts here.

Then they made an announcement letting us know that there were technical difficulties and the show would be back on soon. Has that ever happened to you on a cruise?
Yes it has. Once on the Fantasy.
Side note: I’m not competitive about anything. Except Disney trivia. I will destroy friendships when it comes to Disney trivia.
Taken note of.
It was less of a celebration and more of a sales pitch, but there were free drinks so it was okay (you’ll find that free drinks are a good enough incentive for me to do pretty much anything).
Yep. That's what those are. And food and beverages are always good incentives.
Excited for AP!
As an introvert I’m honestly shocked that I like this arrangement. Jon really loves it, because as an extrovert he is always looking to make new friends.
Interesting. We normally get our own table, but that's probably because of how many people there are in our group.
Our table mates were once again awesome (the group on our Dream cruise was fantastic). We were grouped with two other childless millennial couples and we found all sorts of stuff to talk about, and even spent time together outside of dinner. But more on that later.
That's good! Excited to see what antic you get up to.
Dinner itself was fantastic. We started with the garlic and herb focaccia, then Jon and I got the same starters and entrees: black truffle pasta pursiettes and lemon-thyme marinated chicken breast.
One of my favorite apps. Can't say that I've had the Chicken, but I probably have. Both great!
Toward the end of dinner was the special show at AP and it was so cute. And by so cute I mean I teared up at dinner in front of strangers. C’est la Mickey.
You did recognize the music at the end, right?
Right after the show was dessert time. I had the specialty dessert, which was the lemon icebox pie, and Jon got the cookies and cream sundae. Both were fantastic and a fun way to end the meal.
Best part of dinner.
I wanted to check out the Marvel gear shop since I knew it would be packed the next day.
Correct.
Surprisingly, I found much less merch to take home than I expected. Nothing really spoke to me except a couple of pins. Oh well, more money for wine.
Also correct. Merch on the boats are not great.
He had to repeat things quite a bit but one time he was asked to repeat a question and he was like “Sometimes it’s not the accent, sometimes you just don’t know the answer.” We all got a great laugh out of that.
That happens on many cruises that we do.
It was a definite team effort and was not the only time we would join trivia forces on the cruise. And no friendships were ruined. Yet.
Good, and unfortunate loss.
Up next: a Marvel-ous day at sea!
This early? When we did it in 2018, MDAS was after Grand Cayman.

Great day! Can't wait for more!

Just another reason to go again. (When that's possible again... hopefully... some day...)
We couldn’t see much (and it was framed by other people’s butts)
Depending on the butts, that could be a good thing.

:duck:
We ate at a table on the pool deck that was under cover and soaked in that “I can’t believe I’m on a Disney cruise” feeling.
:goodvibes
we went back to the room to change into our swimsuits.
So... technical question. Did you bring cover-ups? Or did you feel comfortable walking through the ship in your bathing suits?
(I've never been on a cruise, so I really don't know.)
That ship is absolutely massive, it’s incredible. They have balcony rooms that face the interior of the ship. It’s nuts!
I have some cousins who went on the Oasis (4th largest ship now) and they didn't like it. They had a group... I think it was 400 people? And they never met up just because of the sheer size of the ship.
While we were chilling (or is it warming if you’re in a hot tub?)
Heating (judging from your expression!)
the ship started to pull out to sea and we were officially sailing away!
I can't imagine anything more wonderful than setting off while basking in a hot tub!
As we walked back to our stateroom we noticed that we could feel the ship moving. Like a lot.
Oh!
It didn’t bother either of us or make us sick
Well, that's good!
Do I remember his name? No. Is that okay because I wrote it in my notes? Also no.
So we sat, enjoying the show when suddenly something weird happened. The stage lights and sound went down and all the actors just walked off stage in the middle of a scene. Then they made an announcement letting us know that there were technical difficulties and the show would be back on soon.
Huh. Odd.
Has that ever happened to you on a cruise?
Lady, nothing has ever happened to me on a cruise.
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, Earth, The Milky Way.
I used to say that when I was a little kid. "Do you know your address if you get lost and a policeman asks you?"
I'd nod and recite the street name and number and "...Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe."
This is good info to know. If we meet, avoid the trivia challenges.
It was less of a celebration and more of a sales pitch, but there were free drinks so it was okay
I really want to try this restaurant. <sigh> Maybe someday.
One thing I like about Disney is that you share tables with others and you stay with them throughout the whole cruise. As an introvert I’m honestly shocked that I like this arrangement. Jon really loves it, because as an extrovert he is always looking to make new friends.
I'm surprised too, considering you're an introvert.
I am too and... You know how people think it's so sad when you dine alone? That's like one of my all-time favourite things!
Dinner itself was fantastic.
Looked good!
Toward the end of dinner was the special show at AP and it was so cute. And by so cute I mean I teared up at dinner in front of strangers.
Awwww... :)
I had the specialty dessert, which was the lemon icebox pie,
I would've chosen that too. Looks so good!
Sigh, remember when we used to be able to high five people?
:sad2:
He had to repeat things quite a bit but one time he was asked to repeat a question and he was like “Sometimes it’s not the accent, sometimes you just don’t know the answer.”
And no friendships were ruined. Yet.
Yet?!?!?

Prepare for a LOT of quotes.

Interesting. We normally get our own table, but that's probably because of how many people there are in our group.
It's only ever the two of us so we get grouped with others. But I can see how bigger parties wouldn't be combined.

You did recognize the music at the end, right?
Of course!

Merch on the boats are not great.
I listened to a podcast on MDAS to plan the trip and they raved about the merch so I was excited, but most of the cool things they mentioned weren't there.

This early? When we did it in 2018, MDAS was after Grand Cayman.
Yeah they switched it around due to weather. We got an email a few weeks before the trip letting us know.

You had me at incessant side notes!
Score!!

Just another reason to go again. (When that's possible again... hopefully... some day...)
Just think of all the deals they'll throw out when cruising does come back, just to get people on the ships!

Depending on the butts, that could be a good thing.

So... technical question. Did you bring cover-ups? Or did you feel comfortable walking through the ship in your bathing suits?
(I've never been on a cruise, so I really don't know.)
I wore cover ups and Jon had a shirt on outside the pool areas. On the Disney cruises most adults covered up once they were away from the pool.

I have some cousins who went on the Oasis (4th largest ship now) and they didn't like it. They had a group... I think it was 400 people? And they never met up just because of the sheer size of the ship.
As cool as the ship sounds, I don't think I would like the size either. Too overwhelming!

I can't imagine anything more wonderful than setting off while basking in a hot tub!
There are few things that meet the criteria.

I used to say that when I was a little kid. "Do you know your address if you get lost and a policeman asks you?"
I'd nod and recite the street name and number and "...Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe."
Specificity is vital.

This is good info to know. If we meet, avoid the trivia challenges.
:thumbsup2 friendship saved

I really want to try this restaurant. <sigh> Maybe someday.
You will! Just believe!

I'm surprised too, considering you're an introvert.
I am too and... You know how people think it's so sad when you dine alone? That's like one of my all-time favourite things!
I like the shared dinner on the cruise because it has very clear timelines and expectations. I know that once dinner is over I'm free to go be alone again. Unless I'm traveling with an extrovert who wants to hang out with our new friends all the time 😅

Yet...

Just think of all the deals they'll throw out when cruising does come back, just to get people on the ships!
I'm already seeing those in my in box.
I wore cover ups and Jon had a shirt on outside the pool areas. On the Disney cruises most adults covered up once they were away from the pool.
Okay. Thanks. :)
As cool as the ship sounds, I don't think I would like the size either. Too overwhelming!
Specificity is vital.
:thumbsup2
You will! Just believe!
Okay!
I like the shared dinner on the cruise because it has very clear timelines and expectations. I know that once dinner is over I'm free to go be alone again.
Good point. Introverts don't dislike people... we just need a bit of alone time, too.
Unless I'm traveling with an extrovert who wants to hang out with our new friends all the time 😅
:rolleyes1

They asked where Walt Disney was born and after a couple wrong answers I couldn’t stand it anymore so I shot my hand up and informed everyone that his birthplace was, in fact, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, Earth, The Milky Way.
please tell me that is the exact way you answered!

I am Groot, which translates to WE ARE GROOT.

I never order chicken on DCL, but I will seriously consider giving up the tenderloin in AP if it tastes as good as this looks:

The truffle pursettes have never failed. And the menu seems to have barely changed in nine years!

I am impressed with your Disney knowledge of Walt’s birthplace, All could recall was something-line, Missouri; where he grew up and later was the basis for Main Street, DL, and WDW. I had to go look it up. If I throw out any incorrect info, feel free to straighten out my responses.

I think your cruise director was Trent Hitchcock - he is listed for cruises before and after yours.

These TRs are a great diversion while we wait for our eventual return to sailing. I’m waiting for the official cancellation of our cruise on the Magic (which makes your report all the more special - this is my favorite ship.

RCL’s Allure of the Seas did not seem so massive, but the first impression is that you have walked into a dimly-lit shopping mall From the 1990s; it was severely lacking the Disney charm and sense of style. The center-facing verandah rooms looked over “Central Park,” giving them light and air. And Central Park had a great deli for quick meals. Best sandwich on a cruise ship - a Special sandwich from western NY. Yum.

Looking forward to vicariously reminiscing through your stories.

How does an introvert do such a good job interacting as you do here with posters?

but I will seriously consider giving up the tenderloin in AP if it tastes as good as this looks:
It was delightful!

I am impressed with your Disney knowledge of Walt’s birthplace, All could recall was something-line, Missouri; where he grew up and later was the basis for Main Street, DL, and WDW. I had to go look it up. If I throw out any incorrect info, feel free to straighten out my responses.
He was born in Chicago but their family moved to Marceline. They were there for a few years before moving to Kansas City. After he served in the war he came back to KC for a bit (his first studio building is still standing) before taking his suitcase and dreams out to California!

I think your cruise director was Trent Hitchcock - he is listed for cruises before and after yours.
Yes, Trent was his name!

RCL’s Allure of the Seas did not seem so massive, but the first impression is that you have walked into a dimly-lit shopping mall From the 1990s; it was severely lacking the Disney charm and sense of style. The center-facing verandah rooms looked over “Central Park,” giving them light and air. And Central Park had a great deli for quick meals. Best sandwich on a cruise ship - a Special sandwich from western NY. Yum.
Oo yum!

How does an introvert do such a good job interacting as you do here with posters?
The magic of the internet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter