Ravagers don’t dance- but we do! A Marvel Day at Sea DCL TR Updated 11/21

“Mom look it’s Black Widow!”

Let me be real – Marvel Day at Sea was the single thing I was most excited about for our cruise. I prepped and planned and prepped some more and was determined to have an amazing day. And boy did we.

I looked up previous Navigator’s to get an idea of the character schedule and made a plan based off of that, then tweaked it when we got the official Navigator the night before. I wanted to maximize character meet opportunities and see all the shows.

Jon does not share my character love so we agreed to kind of do our own thing for the first part of the day, then meet up and do the shows together in the afternoon.

I got up early to get ready, which took me longer than I thought because I had to do something I’ve never done before – care for a wig during travels. But the effort was worth it because in the end I was very excited for my costume.

Ladies and gents, let me introduce you to The Little Widow, Ariel Romanoff.

At first glance the costume looks like Black Widow with the wrong wig but I tried to add in some details to make it more mermaid-y. I made the belt out of seashells, and the wrist cuff is kind of a sea glass-looking material. I also carried a dinglehopper around with me.
But even with all that I still had quite a few kids think that I was actually Black Widow. One even came up with me and asked me when I was going to be meeting people.

My morning went by in a blur of character meets, starting with Captain Marvel. My general plan was to try and be in a character’s line 15-20 minutes before the scheduled start time. I was able to accomplish that for the most part and usually spent a total of 30 minutes waiting each time. I brought my Kindle with me so I could read in line, which helped pass the time.

[The line for Captain Marvel 15 mins before her set]

Anyway, Captain Marvel was great. A nice little whirlwind of girl power. I asked her if she still liked to fly jets even though she could fly without one now. She said she prefers flying next to the jets now and I can’t say I blame her, although it’s got to be killer on your hair.

[A fun exchange as the bros switched places]

I went straight to Loki and waited another 30 minutes. This was probably my favorite interaction of the entire day. When I walked up he just looked at me with thinly veiled disgust as he tried to figure out who I was. I told him and showed him my dinglehopper, which he took from me and asked what it was. I said it was just like his scepter but smaller, and that it is burdened with the glorious purpose of doing my hair.

He seemed confused by how hair styling would be a glorious purpose so I told him that since he wears a helmet it obviously doesn’t matter as much to him. He was overall very unimpressed.

It was incredible. The photographer was cracking up the whole time and it was just so much fun. Loki might be one of my favorite character meets now, and I wish there were more opportunities to meet him.

I took my gloriously burdened dinglehopper and went on to the first of the ticketed meetings. The majority of the character meets for MDAS are scheduled but not ticketed. However, there are two ticketed events – Groot and the Heroic Encounter (with Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Black Panther). The tickets don’t cost extra but they have to be booked in advance.

[Groot met in a Marvel-fied Animator's Palate]

Groot was first up, and Jon had a ticket too so I messaged him to see if he wanted to join up. He didn’t answer in time so I went ahead and got in line without him (ya snooze ya looze). The family waiting behind me figured out my costume and their little girl asked for a picture with me.

Uhhhh yeah like I’m gonna say no to that. Be still my freaking heart.

The actual meet was awesome. We danced and Groot tried to fix his hair (twigs?) with my dinglehopper.

When I got out Jon was ready to meet up. He had popped in to watch one of the Marvel Origins panels, which he said was pretty neat. We had just enough time to get over to the second ticketed event, the Heroic Encounter.

[Heroic Encounter was in a Marvel-fied D Lounge]

It was set up really similar to any multi-character greeting you would do in the park, where there was a line for each character and once you got done with one you got in line for the next. First up was Spider-Man but as we were waiting there was a little boy dressed as Iron Man who absolutely flipped out when he saw him across the room. He kept shouting, “What up Tony?!” and it was so cute.

Spider-Man was his usual fun-loving self. Jon asked him what his favorite pizza place is in NYC and he said he didn’t eat much pizza but could recommend a great deli, then even described his favorite sandwich (the one he eats in Homecoming).

[Wow I didn't realize how many photos of Spidey I bought. They're just so fun!]

Next was Black Panther who is hella intimidating. It’s interactions like these where I’m especially glad Jon is around because sometimes I just don’t know what to say. So Jon asked him if he ever rides the giant rhinos, and he told us he doesn’t ride them. Instead, he uses them as free weights for his lifting workouts. It’s all about the reps, dude.

Finally it was our turn to meet Iron Man himself, Mr. Tony Stark. This meet wasn’t as fun as the others. It’s hard when they’re both in a mask and have robot responses. It was still cool to meet him though since I think the only place he does meetings is in Hong Kong (although we would have gotten to meet him there this year, too. STUPID CORONA)

When we got done with Iron Man we noticed that the cruise director and assistant director were in the room. They told me they liked my costume and they even picked up on the mermaid bits without me needing to explain it! These guys are in charge for a reason. They just *know* things.

Let me be real – Marvel Day at Sea was the single thing I was most excited about for our cruise. I prepped and planned and prepped some more and was determined to have an amazing day. And boy did we.
Best thing to do is to be prepared.
I wanted to maximize character meet opportunities and see all the shows.

Good plan.
Jon does not share my character love so we agreed to kind of do our own thing for the first part of the day, then meet up and do the shows together in the afternoon.
That is one of the great things about the cruises!
That's a really cool costume.
One even came up with me and asked me when I was going to be meeting people.
:laughing:
My general plan was to try and be in a character’s line 15-20 minutes before the scheduled start time. I was able to accomplish that for the most part and usually spent a total of 30 minutes waiting each time.
That's pretty good for timing.
I told him and showed him my dinglehopper, which he took from me and asked what it was. I said it was just like his scepter but smaller, and that it is burdened with the glorious purpose of doing my hair.
Such a glorious purpose indeed.
The family waiting behind me figured out my costume and their little girl asked for a picture with me.
So cute!
Spider-Man was his usual fun-loving self.
As he was when we saw him. Honestly, he was my favorite of the 4 scheduled meets.
They told me they liked my costume and they even picked up on the mermaid bits without me needing to explain it! These guys are in charge for a reason. They just *know* things.
They know them so well. That's why Disney is just so magical!

Let me be real – Marvel Day at Sea was the single thing I was most excited about for our cruise.
Not a bit surprised.
Jon does not share my character love
And you still keep him? He must have other charms that (just barely) make him worth keeping.
WOW!! You look great! I love it! Fantastic job!
I made the belt out of seashells, and the wrist cuff is kind of a sea glass-looking material. I also carried a dinglehopper around with me.
Very clever! :thumbsup2
But even with all that I still had quite a few kids think that I was actually Black Widow. One even came up with me and asked me when I was going to be meeting people.
:) Isn't that the best?
I asked her if she still liked to fly jets even though she could fly without one now. She said she prefers flying next to the jets now and I can’t say I blame her
Sure... makes sense. Who wouldn't.
although it’s got to be killer on your hair.
:lmao:
I said it was just like his scepter but smaller, and that it is burdened with the glorious purpose of doing my hair.
ooohhh… magic dinglehopper...
He seemed confused by how hair styling would be a glorious purpose so I told him that since he wears a helmet it obviously doesn’t matter as much to him. He was overall very unimpressed.
:laughing: I totally see his point, having little to no hair, myself.
It was incredible. The photographer was cracking up the whole time and it was just so much fun. Loki might be one of my favorite character meets now, and I wish there were more opportunities to meet him.
:) Glad you had such a fun time with him.
Groot was first up,
Dude's huge!
The family waiting behind me figured out my costume and their little girl asked for a picture with me.
Yay! I've had that happen and it's very flattering.
Uhhhh yeah like I’m gonna say no to that. Be still my freaking heart.
::yes::
Jon asked him what his favorite pizza place is in NYC and he said he didn’t eat much pizza but could recommend a great deli, then even described his favorite sandwich (the one he eats in Homecoming).
Whoa! Nice one.
So Jon asked him if he ever rides the giant rhinos, and he told us he doesn’t ride them. Instead, he uses them as free weights for his lifting workouts. It’s all about the reps, dude.
Yup. Totally makes sense.
I think the only place he does meetings is in Hong Kong
Didn't know that! Cool! (even with robot answers.)

Best thing to do is to be prepared.
It's the scout motto, after all!

That is one of the great things about the cruises!
It's nice but at the same time awkward when it's really hard to communicate with people haha. We tried to use the messaging service on the app or the free iMessage but neither was very effective.

That's a really cool costume.
Thank you!

Such a glorious purpose indeed.

As he was when we saw him. Honestly, he was my favorite of the 4 scheduled meets.
I've met him a couple times in Disneyland and it's always a blast. I've never walked away from a Spider-Man meet thinking "wow that was super boring"

They know them so well. That's why Disney is just so magical!
Yes!

Oh he has many charms. One of the big ones being that he puts up with my character love.
Keeper material then. :)
his has nothing to do with this TR, but I'm very proud of this project that we've been working on for 2+ years. So please feed my eternal need for validation and check out our cover of Happily Ever After:
Watched it and commented on the other thread. :)

I still remember seeing this on insta and being so awe-inspired! Very awesome outfit!
When I walked up he just looked at me with thinly veiled disgust as he tried to figure out who I was. I told him and showed him my dinglehopper, which he took from me and asked what it was. I said it was just like his scepter but smaller, and that it is burdened with the glorious purpose of doing my hair.
Lol! I'm sure the performer had the hardest time not laughing!
The photographer was cracking up the whole time and it was just so much fun. Loki might be one of my favorite character meets now, and I wish there were more opportunities to meet him.
Hopefully more once Avengers campus opens!

Your Ariel Romanoff costume is fantastic! What a great idea and perfectly executed!

Also, beautiful bonus video. The duet is amazing!

Last edited:
Your day at sea seems pretty much perfect! I'm not super into marvel, but I do love character meets, and if I loved Marvel, you spent your day in exactly the way I would have.

Your Happily Ever After video made me tear up. Love seeing your relationship through the lyrics and video clips! LOVED the carousel expressions near the start :) You guys are just adorable. Thanks for sharing!

Your Ariel Romanoff costume is fantastic! What a great idea and perfectly executed!

Also, beautiful bonus video. The duet is amazing!
Thank you on both accounts!

Your day at sea seems pretty much perfect! I'm not super into marvel, but I do love character meets, and if I loved Marvel, you spent your day in exactly the way I would have.

Your Happily Ever After video made me tear up. Love seeing your relationship through the lyrics and video clips! LOVED the carousel expressions near the start :) You guys are just adorable. Thanks for sharing!
The character meets were amazing, I didn't have any that were just pose-and-shoot. They all had great interactions and it was a ton of fun.

Character Meets and Costume Changes

With that, I was absolutely starving. If I recall correctly, I skipped breakfast in favor of characters. We went up to Cabanas, where I filled my plate with the favorite foods of most 5 year olds. It was super weird to be in a black leather body suit out in the sunshine, surrounded by kids in their swimsuits.

[Fun Marvel touches in Cabanas]

Anyway, as we ate a group of people sat down on the other side of the glass from us and we recognized them as performers from the show the night before. Actors- they eat, too!

I didn’t stick around to eat for too long. Heroes were still calling my name! Captain America was scheduled to come out pretty soon so I left Jon to finish lunch at his own leisurely not-determined-to-meet-every-hero pace and made my way toward Cap.

On the way I FINALLY spotted them – Hawkeye and Black Widow.

So along with the regular scheduled meets and the ticketed events, there are also some characters who just roam. They don’t have posted meeting times but in general throughout the day you can find them near the atrium, strolling about. They’ll stop for photos and to chat, then keep moving.

Black Widow is one such character and I’d been on the lookout all day. Naturally I finally spot her when Jon’s not around to play Instagram Husband. I’m still kind of awkward about asking people (who aren’t Jon) to take my photo, so when it was my turn I tried for a selfie. Thankfully some kind soul felt pity for me and offered to snap a couple of shots (like I secretly hoped they would). When I was done I offered to do the same for their family.

Full of an incredible sense of accomplishment, I got in line for Cap. The line was pretty short still, at 15 minutes before the posted meeting time. However, I waited my standard 30 minutes total before it was my turn. Jon ended up joining me right before we were up.

I explained my costume to him and he admitted that he has only seen the first Little Mermaid movie. I told him he needs to add the other two to his list of Pop Culture Things Steve Needs To Catch Up On. He promised he would watch all three in a row.

One thing I was beginning to notice, especially on the MDAS day, was that a lot of the character attendants were performers from the nightly shows. It makes sense to double up duties like that but it’s still weird since Disney is so known for avoiding crossovers like that. But it was cool to get a chance to chat with them and let them know how much we enjoyed the shows, which you don’t normally get to do with Disney performers.

All the characters who were out meeting at that point were already ones I’d crossed off my list, so we decided to go out on the deck and enjoy the beautiful weather. I realized just how much of the day I’d spent inside.

As weird as I thought it was to be on the pool deck in full costume, it’s somehow even weirder to be lounging in a deck chair in one. Jon got a few pictures of me before he settled in for a little snooze.

But pretty soon I had somewhere else to be. The Costume Celebration was fast approaching. I had seen a few other adults in costume throughout the day and thankfully most of them were at the celebration so I didn’t stick out too much. There was one family that I connected with on a Facebook cruise meetup group so I knew they were going to be all decked out. The woman was Frigga (Thor’s mom), her husband was Dum Dum Dugan (one of the Howling Commandos from the first Cap movie), and their son was WWII Cap. It was awesome.

There was also a woman in an amazing comic book version of the Scarlet Witch, as well as another Black Widow (fully Natasha, no mermaid DNA there). There were a handful of others but those are the ones I remember.

They separated us all into groups: Original Avengers (self-explanatory), the Spider-Verse (also self-explanatory), Cosmic Heroes (anything alien like GotG), and Unforgettable Heroes (literally anyone else). Each group went up on stage and the host picked a couple of people to ask about their costume, usually an adult and a couple cute kids.

You may be wondering why I don’t have a picture of myself on stage. It’s because Jon was still asleep on the deck chair…Vacation, man. It really knocks you out.

The celebration ended with the arrival of Mickey & friends, all dressed as their favorite Marvel heroes. They stuck around for a few photos and by this time I think Jon was awake and had joined me, because I got some pictures with Donald and Daisy (either that or a kindly CM took pity on me and took some photos), who were dressed as Hulk and Black Widow.

[Dr Strange was the one character I didn't get to meet]

I checked the navigator and realized it would be a good time to hop in line for Thor, who was our last character meet of the day (in my costume, anyway). My notes say it was a fun interaction but sadly I don’t remember anything more specific about it. We got some classic photos though.

Before changing out of my costume I convinced my photographer – er, husband – to take some pictures of me by the big Marvel sign in the atrium. These are some of my favorite from the day.

Finally it was time to get out of that fairly uncomfortable costume. The wig alone was driving me crazy! I put in my notes that it was ‘sweet relief’ to change. Our plan for the afternoon was to focus on the shows and the first one was the Dr Strange show, which was in the Walt Disney Theatre.

[The runner is a keepsake but honestly I have no idea what to do with it]

I snagged a popcorn bucket before heading in because it was MDAS and I absolutely lose my ish when it comes to popcorn.
We got fairly good seats for a show that turned out to be just like Jedi Training in the parks, except with the mystic arts instead of the Force. There were kids, it was cute, but mostly an excuse to sit and eat popcorn.

Next we hit up the Marvel Super Showdown, which was a Marvel trivia game. It was teams based where half the room was Team Iron Man and the other half was Team Captain America. We were, of course, on Team Cap and settled in with our drinks of the day.

The game was Jeopardy-ish, with a game board that had columns with different categories and questions with different point values for each. Well sometimes they were questions, sometimes they were charades or challenges. I remember at least one point I got for our team when someone had to act out a villain and I correctly guessed Dormammu.

Victory in hand, we went down for the last few minutes that the comic vault was open. For most of the day they had an area set up where you could check out tablets that had the Marvel Comic Vault loaded on them and browse through all the comics that were included. Neither of us have ever been big into comic books so it was a cool free (*ahem* included) way to flip through some.

There was still time before the next show we wanted to see so I convinced Jon to get in line to meet Chip & Dale, who were dressed as Thor & Loki. They were energetic and silly, as usual. I remember asking Dale if he was Loki because he caused more trouble and we both agreed that was definitely the case.

At about that time our internal ice cream alarms went off, so we listened to our bodies and took a much-needed ice cream break up on the pool deck.

But first, more photos.

[My subtle Captain Marvel look for the afternoon]

Okay now up for ice cream.

Jon accidently got himself a cone when he meant to get some in a bowl so he could make a cookie sandwich. So I, being the kind and selfless wife that I am, offered to eat both his and my ice cream cones.

Marriage truly is about sacrifice.

The sun was beautiful, but warm, and soon there was ice cream all over us and my hair was whipping back and forth in the wind. We finished and got cleaned up and went back down to Fathoms for the next show.

We got some nice seats and I ordered a rum and Coke to enjoy during the Star-Spangled USO show, which was a 40s style Captain America show. They sang songs from the 40s and had some truly fantastic dancers. Then at the end, my personal hero Mr Steve Rogers made an appearance.

[Hahaha this little girl hopped on stage during the show and just danced her lil heart out. What adorable audacity]

Jon was ready for a rest but I convinced him to make one last character stop to see Goofy, who was dressed as Jon’s fave – Iron Man. We discussed who was more powerful between Iron Man and Captain Marvel and OBVIOUSLY it’s Captain Marvel but I didn’t want to hurt Goofy’s feelings so we said they were both pretty grand.

Back in the room we rested for a bit and watched some Duck Tales before grabbing a Hidden Mickey book and heading back out into the ship. At one point we asked a CM if they could point us to one we were looking for but they just looked totally confused. Oh well.
Then we realized a lot of what we were looking for was outside and it was dark by that point. So we found what we could and then just kind of wandered around. At one point we came across the Mickey and Friends Super Hero Celebration but it was super packed so we didn’t stick around.

Reactions: DLo
I filled my plate with the favorite foods of most 5 year olds
But of course! You're on vacation!
It was super weird to be in a black leather body suit out in the sunshine, surrounded by kids in their swimsuits.
:laughing: Any of the kids stare at you and/or come up to you?
50089967778_66b062b5f0_c.jpg
Excuse me??? What 5yr old is putting peas on his plate??????????
I FINALLY spotted them – Hawkeye and Black Widow.
Yay! Glad you did. :)
You look pretty darned stoked about this.
I explained my costume to him and he admitted that he has only seen the first Little Mermaid movie.
Um... I was this days old when I learned there was a 3rd one??? Had no idea.
So.... (since I've only seen it once) I am presently downloading Mermaid II and Beginning.
a lot of the character attendants were performers from the nightly shows. It makes sense to double up duties like that but it’s still weird since Disney is so known for avoiding crossovers like that.
Yeah... can only fit so many on a ship. Makes sense. Maybe on a bigger ship?
This is actually my favourite shot of you in costume.
As weird as I thought it was to be on the pool deck in full costume, it’s somehow even weirder to be lounging in a deck chair in one.
:laughing: I can't even picture that!
You may be wondering why I don’t have a picture of myself on stage. It’s because Jon was still asleep on the deck chair…Vacation, man. It really knocks you out.
Well.... darn!
Before changing out of my costume I convinced my photographer – er, husband – to take some pictures of me by the big Marvel sign in the atrium. These are some of my favorite from the day.
Really like the last two. :)
[The runner is a keepsake but honestly I have no idea what to do with it]
Hmmm... have room to put it on a wall?
I absolutely lose my ish when it comes to popcorn.
I've never heard that expression before. I like it.
I remember at least one point I got for our team when someone had to act out a villain and I correctly guessed Dormammu.
Holy smokes. You really do take your trivia seriously. I don't even know who or what Dormammu is!
You do look just a wee bit more comfortable now.
At about that time our internal ice cream alarms went off
Ah! So that's the ringing in my ears I keep hearing.
So I, being the kind and selfless wife that I am, offered to eat both his and my ice cream cones.
Very noble of you. You're a good person.
Sun just a bit bright? :rolleyes:
the Star-Spangled USO show, which was a 40s style Captain America show.
Think I'd like that one. Sounds fun.
[Hahaha this little girl hopped on stage during the show and just danced her lil heart out. What adorable audacity]
Awww... :)
Goofy, who was dressed as Jon’s fave – Iron Man.
Of course he was. I mean... it's Goofy. What else could he possibly be???
At one point we asked a CM if they could point us to one we were looking for but they just looked totally confused. Oh well.
:rolleyes2

Any of the kids stare at you and/or come up to you?
Lots of stares but no one came up to me this time.

Excuse me??? What 5yr old is putting peas on his plate??????????
I'm starting to think I was a weird 5 year old...

You look pretty darned stoked about this.
SO stoked! I'd seen them from across the room a couple times but never close enough to get to.

Um... I was this days old when I learned there was a 3rd one??? Had no idea.
So.... (since I've only seen it once) I am presently downloading Mermaid II and Beginning.
Let me know how you like them!

Hmmm... have room to put it on a wall?
Eh, it would take up a fair amount of wall space 😅

I've never heard that expression before. I like it.
As someone who has the thoughts for cursing but not the mouth, I use ish a lot :earboy2:

Holy smokes. You really do take your trivia seriously. I don't even know who or what Dormammu is!
I'm telling you - friendship-ending dedication

You do look just a wee bit more comfortable now.

Very noble of you. You're a good person.
He's a lucky guy

Think I'd like that one. Sounds fun.
It was super fun. Classic music, tap dancing, 40s fashion, Cap.... All the best things

Lots of stares but no one came up to me this time.
Half the battle. :)
I'm starting to think I was a weird 5 year old...
"Starting"??????? :rolleyes:
SO stoked! I'd seen them from across the room a couple times but never close enough to get to.
:goodvibes
Let me know how you like them!
It'll be a few days, but I will. :)
Eh, it would take up a fair amount of wall space
As someone who has the thoughts for cursing but not the mouth, I use ish a lot :earboy2:
So when you're really angry at someone you yell out:
"You ish-in' ish ish-er!"
He's a lucky guy

Please excuse my tardiness as I did not have power due to Isaias. Here we go!

[Fun Marvel touches in Cabanas]
Indeed they were fun.
Naturally I finally spot her when Jon’s not around to play Instagram Husband.
Oof. Not good timing.
I told him he needs to add the other two to his list of Pop Culture Things Steve Needs To Catch Up On. He promised he would watch all three in a row.
I didn't know that there was a list of this. That would be an interesting list.
One thing I was beginning to notice, especially on the MDAS day, was that a lot of the character attendants were performers from the nightly shows
That is correct. Very common on DCL.
We got fairly good seats for a show that turned out to be just like Jedi Training in the parks, except with the mystic arts instead of the Force.
I thought that this was much more about the affects and the story than about the kids when I saw it. But it is fairly similar.
At about that time our internal ice cream alarms went off, so we listened to our bodies and took a much-needed ice cream break up on the pool deck.
Internal ice cream alarms are very important to listen to.
They sang songs from the 40s and had some truly fantastic dancers.
This was a fairly good show.
At one point we came across the Mickey and Friends Super Hero Celebration but it was super packed so we didn’t stick around.
This, on the other hand, was not as good. It was geared much more towards the younger children.

Great pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter