READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is our day. We moved from Bonnet Creek to BW this morning. Got our room ready notice at 7am. So we parked threw our stuff in the room and walked over. We got here at just after 8 and there were three people in line. The security guard said they wouldn’t open the temp check until just after 9.
This is our first of two HS days but our other one is Saturday and we will be coming from offsite so really hoping today goes well.
Looking forward to hearing how HS is today! We are headed there Friday for just 1 day in the parks so debating on changing our reservation to MK since millennium falcon and RoTR has been having issues this week.

Good luck!

So I just wanted to drop a scientific observation on my part:

When I rode Rise yesterday and was waiting in line, I wanted to test just how much the capacity was roughly. After the merge point, it looked like the entire group that was carted around from show to show was a whopping 11 people (but there were a number of parties of 1 or 2 people, so this was probably a smaller than usual group). I timed one of the shows that everyone must go through and they only have one of, and that came to about three minutes. So hypothetically that could mean that with no breakdowns and everything running smoothly that your capacity would be about 220 per hour. Let's say 300 people per hour on average with bigger parties. 9 hours of operations, and with the downtime that's maybe 6 hours of ride time. So 6x300=1,800 people a day. With 50% capacity there may be about 20,000-25,000 people in the park. So just being conservative, it sounds like there's only seats for 1/10 of the people in the park.

From the make up of the crowds, it seems like everyone is there for Rise. Very few families with very young children, and with the very low height requirement, I imagine most kids could ride it. If you brought a kid who couldn't ride Rise what could they possibly do all day? So, I imagine everyone is there for Rise, and of those people 1/10 get to ride. So Disney has basically made it a cross between a treasure hunting expedition and a lottery to figure out who the lucky 1/10 are.

Granted, the silver lining is that if you are reading this right now, and you use this message board, you probably have the tools to ride. Barring any unforeseen glitches, I think that you're fine if you tap "join" within 60 seconds of 10:00:00 AM. And realistically 60 seconds is a very, very long time if you think about it. I imagine that the unfortunate 90% are people who aren't educated on what needs to happen and/or show up "late." I've been at the front of the park at 10:05 AM and there's still huge lines to get in. Most people must not know that if they don't get in before park open that they don't have a prayer of getting on the major ride. I feel bad for them. This system I guess benefits us (assuming there's nothing they can do to fix the underlying issues)... I mean I've been on four times in the past few weeks, arguably benefits AP holders too, but is a little unfair to the uninformed who are paying $100 for a ticket, and their preferred market: the vacationers.

Oh well. It is what it is, I figured I would share my findings.

So I just wanted to drop a scientific observation on my part:

When I rode Rise yesterday and was waiting in line, I wanted to test just how much the capacity was roughly. After the merge point, it looked like the entire group that was carted around from show to show was a whopping 11 people (but there were a number of parties of 1 or 2 people, so this was probably a smaller than usual group). I timed one of the shows that everyone must go through and they only have one of, and that came to about three minutes. So hypothetically that could mean that with no breakdowns and everything running smoothly that your capacity would be about 220 per hour. Let's say 300 people per hour on average with bigger parties. 9 hours of operations, and with the downtime that's maybe 6 hours of ride time. So 6x300=1,800 people a day. With 50% capacity there may be about 20,000-25,000 people in the park. So just being conservative, it sounds like there's only seats for 1/10 of the people in the park.

From the make up of the crowds, it seems like everyone is there for Rise. Very few families with very young children, and with the very low height requirement, I imagine most kids could ride it. If you brought a kid who couldn't ride Rise what could they possibly do all day? So, I imagine everyone is there for Rise, and of those people 1/10 get to ride. So Disney has basically made it a cross between a treasure hunting expedition and a lottery to figure out who the lucky 1/10 are.

Granted, the silver lining is that if you are reading this right now, and you use this message board, you probably have the tools to ride. Barring any unforeseen glitches, I think that you're fine if you tap "join" within 60 seconds of 10:00:00 AM. And realistically 60 seconds is a very, very long time if you think about it. I imagine that the unfortunate 90% are people who aren't educated on what needs to happen and/or show up "late." I've been at the front of the park at 10:05 AM and there's still huge lines to get in. Most people must not know that if they don't get in before park open that they don't have a prayer of getting on the major ride. I feel bad for them. This system I guess benefits us (assuming there's nothing they can do to fix the underlying issues)... I mean I've been on four times in the past few weeks, arguably benefits AP holders too, but is a little unfair to the uninformed who are paying $100 for a ticket, and their preferred market: the vacationers.

Oh well. It is what it is, I figured I would share my findings.
I don’t think you have a whole minute. When practicing from home, it’s about 10 seconds until they are all full.

Long time lurker, but I finally decided to make an account, so forgive this as my first post. I was one of the ones who had the issue where the app said "not so fast you're not in the park" (paraphrasing) when I went to assemble my party. I've been on Rise three times before, and I assume I would have gotten it otherwise. My best guess is that it had something to do with the GPS not working correctly, or Disney's servers not properly recognizing the GPS's. I could tell that around me, many people were complaining about the error, but many people had successful been put in a group too. I could tell that the guest services lines were out the door. Instead of pleading my case and waiting in line to complain, I just decided to go home, try again tomorrow, and maybe try to have a brief chat with a CM tomorrow morning to see if I could gather any useful intel that could help me.

What I've read I believe has been useful. I think that the most important might might be to make sure that you're considered "inside the park." Maybe you could test that by looking at the Disney map on your phone and seeing if your little dot comes up as in the park? Or get a CM to confirm that you're considered inside the park?

To follow up on my post from before, I went back yesterday (didn't even bother riding anything Monday, just went home immediately after getting shut out from rise at 10 AM). I was considering going to GET, and asking about what was going on Monday, but I figured I would just doublecheck to make sure that my little circle was inside the park. I also went to the Dance Party ghost town area to ensure better service. I nabbed the boarding party pretty easily.

You can refer to my previous post about just how insanely and laughably poor the capacity is right now. Another semi-gripe I had is as follows:

I had ran into two friends who were going to DHS that day. After that we started riding together, had lunch together, and generally passing the time. We both had boarding groups. I was 31, and they were 43. I went to a CM in front of Rise to see if we could be linked together. Partly to ride with my friends to see their reactions after riding for the first time, and actually partly out of altruism so that three people would be taking of 1 vehicle (8 hypothetical seats) instead of 2 vehicles (16 hypothetical seats). Really, it doesn't matter when people ride, it matters that as many seats as possible are occupied. He said that this was impossible, and I'd just have to show up late and cross my fingers that they'd take me late. And he said I could talk to GET but they'd say the same thing. Since my plan was to leave immediately after Rise and get back home to get back to work that wasn't appealing to me.

So it does seem like they're instructed to be very inflexible compared to usual. The park must know that only 10% get to ride, and that people will do anything to get on, so they're just told to dig their heels in the ground. I just find it odd that they won't bend over backwards to get involved when guests are literally trying to work with the park to help expand the pie and get more people through in a day. While it may not expand boarding groups, one more available car either means more people to get called, or it means that the CMs get to go home that much earlier.

I don’t think you have a whole minute. When practicing from home, it’s about 10 seconds until they are all full.

OK, I believe that too. I sync my watch up to the clock that they use (the Apple clock) so I pretty much guarantee that I join on the second. Pretty much if I can't get it, its glitched out. 10 seconds should be enough to guarantee spots to anybody who doesn't glitch and knows to hunt for 10 AM. I've also noticed that if you try to join before 10 AM it glitches you out too and you lose time. So its kind of like the Price is Right. Closest to 10 AM but you lose if you go too early.

we have only 1 account for the family so I can’t answer your first questions but I gave my daughter the login for the account so she can see it on her phone. She knows not to change plans or anything. Also she was the one that got our boarding group last time. We just share the one account
so two people can be on the same account at the same time trying to get a boarding group? Would it just give it to the first person? It doesn’t mess up the system to do that?

so two people can be on the same account at the same time trying to get a boarding group? Would it just give it to the first person? It doesn’t mess up the system to do that?

yes as soon as the first person gets the boarding group the others are shut out. It is how we have always done it.(Well, both times lol) I got it the first time and my daughter the second

Correct, a good strategy is actually to go with as many people as possible, and to make sure that you're all linked together. The fastest person (without trying before 10:00:00 AM) will get the whole group in, and what the rest of the group does is superfluous. So its a good protection against glitches.

All of this talk of capacity, gone in 10 seconds BGs, and disappointed guests/long lines at GET really point, to me, toward the need to just open the standby line and let people wait 5+ hours if they so choose.

1. It would help w the long lines at other attractions right now
2. (This is not a spoiler) That queue is long and could hold plenty of people 6ft apart - once it reaches back to the start of GE, close the standby line until a little more room is free.
3. It’s honestly much more equitable and fair than the BG crapshoot
4. Save $ on employing extra GET CMs to deal w disappointed guests

The only downside is perhaps not having those guests in line in the park spending money, and/or locals/APs (seemingly the largest makeup of park attendees rn) not coming as often because they won’t think standing in line all day is worth it.

I wouldn't obsess so much over trying to gouge people on $14 hamburgers. This is about protecting your brand, giving people a satisfying experience at the park, and giving people what they paid for. If people have an A1 experience at the park, there's no reason that they won't reward you financially stop playing checkers when you should be playing chess. Obsessing over in park spending the expense of the experience is a county fair thing to do.

Standby only would be awful and terrible, but it might be crazy enough to work. The issue at hand is that only 10% of the people who go through the turnstiles in a given day will even have a prayer of getting on even once. And giving us a system where you just press a button doesn't put enough skin in the game when everybody is going to the park for just one reason (to get on Rise). Being threatened with out of control 5-6 hour lines would turn off enough people that you might weed out 90% of the crowds and give ride access to the crazies enough to go through all that. People will be angry, but you're putting blame on them for not waiting in line. They might Karen it up at GET, but it might be less likely, "Your system glitched and I paid $120 for a ride that I can't get on now" is a more justifiable argument than "I'm not going to stand in a 5-6 hour standby line."

I think that the answer to the problem lies somewhere else. I don't think that 5-6 hour lines are a good idea... especially when the ride is down a lot. The idea of calling people in when its running and whipping them through fast is very enticing. I think that ultimately the best solution is some kind of booking system that communicates your boarding group before you enter the park. Like you book weeks or months ahead of time and only hold one at a time. I know it has drawbacks, and people wouldn't be able to go on it crazy amounts, but I think its ultimately fair and puts a pretty band-aid on the situation for now.

I know that some greedy financial guys at the top might not like the idea of turning away foot traffic and not selling he $14 hamburgers, but again its about playing chess and not checkers. Why obsess so much over $14 hamburgers? They point should be to provide exceptional experiences that are flawless to create loyal customers. So that they'll keep coming back to your park, buy the upgrades, buy the expensive merch, but the hard tickets, etc. You can get your hamburgers anywhere these days. They won't go to your park to buy them if you don't give them a reason to.

Again i ask that this thread stays laser focused on your experience getting a bg and what worked for you
PLEASE no discussion on what you think might be numbers in terms of capacity, ride turnout and the like. These are pure speculation and not important to the thread
Also please no discussion on what should be done in terms of standby/fp/bg, you can discuss operations in the attractions thread
From this post on any off topic discussion will be deleted and warning points given to repeat offenders

Again i ask that this thread stays laser focused on your experience getting a bg and what worked for you
PLEASE no discussion on what you think might be numbers in terms of capacity, ride turnout and the like. These are pure speculation and not important to the thread
Also please no discussion on what should be done in terms of standby/fp/bg, you can discuss operations in the attractions thread
From this post on any off topic discussion will be deleted and warning points given to repeat offenders

Sorry @yulilin3 I deleted my post!

Getting back on topic: What worked for us was practicing ahead of time - and also correlation is not causation but we were also in Toy Story Land when we got our BG.

Can I ask how you practiced?

You can try joining a BG from home - if you hit the "Is everyone in the park" page you would have been successful. Post 1 of this thread has the instructions and tips. Knowing where the buttons are and practicing with fast fingers to get comfortable with what you need to hit, how long it takes to load, and how long the windows stay open (hint: less than 10 seconds) can be the difference between success and failure. Good luck!

We are going on November 5th to Hollywood Studios. It is our only day there and have not ridden before. So this really is our only shot until next year as we had two trips this year cancelled already.

My question is, I have read a bunch of people complaining about not being able to get a boarding group because the system doesn't recognize that everyone is in the parks.
Is there are way to check that the system knows everyone is there prior to the 10 am release or do I have to wait until click join a boarding group to find out if I have a shot or not? At that point it is too late and I don't see arguing our case at Guest Services will achieve anything.

There will be 5 of us that day.

Thanks

Oh, and one more question.

Does it help or hurt us for all 5 of us to try to get a boarding group?
3 of the 5 are tech teens and the other is my tech idiot wife. (She will probably be the one to get it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter