Ready Player One

I loved the book and can't wait to see the movie. Here is a HUGE, almost 10 minutes, extended trailer that really gets into everything.

There are only a few directors out there that would really understand and properly translate 'Read Player One' ... Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Guillermo del Toro were on my short dream list. So I was pretty happy when I heard Spielberg was attached to actually direct (not just produce) and Alan Silvestri to compose (would have flipped for John Williams)

From what I've read in interviews, Kate Capshaw (Spielberg's wife) listened to the audiobook of Ready Player One and convinced Spielberg he had to do the movie. It ended up being a 3 year labor of love for him that he worked on during 'Bridge of Spies' of 'The Post'.

One of my oldest friends is sister in law to Ernest Cline, the author. Very excited about the movie and I know that Ernie is very pleased with how it turned out.

Last edited:
So, I just got back from seeing it, so for all those interested:

IT. WAS. AMAZING!

Seriously. This was one heck of a movie. If you grew up in the 80's you will love it. That's all I'll say about it for now. Everyone enjoy it this weekend!
I didn't grow up in the 80s but I love a lot of stuff from it--the music, the trends, the movies, etc

Thanks for your input on it. I believe we plan on seeing it on Tuesday :)

Just bought DH and DS's tickets for Sunday. They are going to our usual XL theater, so I hope they enjoy it. Only 2 other seats showing purchased for that showing, so they got our favorite seats. I kind of want to go, but I will wait until it comes out to BluRay/on demand. I'm spending my ticket money on a "secret santa" exchange instead.

Also bought our tickets for Infinity War! So excited about that one; opening weekend, first Sunday showing. Only 8 other seats purchased in the theater so far, which was good for us; we got to pick our favorite seats!

So, I just got back from seeing it, so for all those interested:

IT. WAS. AMAZING!

Seriously. This was one heck of a movie. If you grew up in the 80's you will love it. That's all I'll say about it for now. Everyone enjoy it this weekend!

Yup, caught it in IMAX 3D this morning and it was almost sensory overload ... Penn/Cline/Spielberg knocked it out of the park! While a lot of things were changed from the book, everything adapted made sense and I was truly surprised with how much 'heart' the movie had in the 3rd act ... I'd say the film gave me the warm fuzzies more than the book. The theater was packed with a nice mix of all ages, and plenty cheers throughout. It is PG-13 though and there is one F-bomb for folks bringing smaller children

If I have any major complaint it would be that a certain favorite band of mine (just read my sig quote) was not very prominent. I didn't expect the film to keep everything the same ... but c'mon where's the love!? (other than a t-shirt and poster)

We saw the movie last night. Both my husband and I enjoyed it :)

We liked the music, the pop culture, the splashes of humor in there, etc. I thought the transition between animation and live-action was done very well.

I would def. recommend it :)

Thought it was pretty good, not great. maybe because I read the book first.

Yeah, it seems to be a consensus that people who read the book didn't like it as much. I never read the book and I lvoed it.

That's what my son and I are worried about - that it won't do the book justice. We haven't had time to get to the movie yet, but will eventually - but are concerned about the variations from the book overall.

I read the book very recently and saw the movie. Although the movie does vary from the original book storyline it is still excellent. I read an interview with Ernest Cline, who wrote both the book and the screenplay. When he wrote the book he never imagined it would become a movie and therefore some of the scenes would not translate well to the big screen so in writing the screen play, things had to be adjusted to better fit the movie format.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!