Reality check for me on flying from Buffalo

jaysue

DIS Veteran
It would be me, DW, DS (4 at time of flight), and D? (coming June 10th.....

We are thinking of going in November and wondering if it is realistic for us with a 4yr old and an infant to go to Orlando from Buffalo

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
jaysue

A few things to consider:

1. The weather. November could get nasty. I almost was not able to go on my annual shopping trip a few years back due to the fact they had freaky snow storm.

2. How far are you from YYZ? I'm just 10 mins via highway. For me to drive 1 1/2 - 2 hours there is ok but to drive back after a long day at the parks, I can't see it happening.

3. Are you travelling over a holiday? Because we are returning Labour Day the price goes sky high! And DD dreads layovers as a matter of fact so do I. Especially knowing that with a direct flight we would have been there already.

4. Only you can decide if it is right for you and your family.

Good Luck in deciding.

For our August trip am going to try Skyservice this time. We leave at a good time and then the return flight is late at night so that we can still enjoy a full day before returning back to reality!

Scratch
:smooth:

If you are getting a good deal out of TO then fly out of there, but I actually prefer southwest.
The wait in line in TO is very long with 2 young kids. I much prefer the drive of 1 1/2 hours to standing in line.
Also we had a direct flight from Buffalo and stop overs from TO.
If you do choose to go to Buffalo I can't see any problems because of the ages of your kids.
Either way you are going to Disney so have fun!

We flew South West out of Buffalo last Nov with 3 month old and 3 year old no problems. We bought a seat for the baby and used her carseat and used carseat for 3 year old. Check in was easy we used curbside they gave us boarding passes then sercurity was just inside very easy and quick. In Toronto you have to take your suitcases after you checkin to customs and security. I prefer the 1 1/2 hr drive to Buffalo we usually go the night before and take a direct flight.

I definitely prefer Buffalo to YYZ. You can save literally hundreds on your flight and if you are concerned about the weather than stay overnight at one of the close hotels for about $75 a night. The Buffalo airport is teeny/tiny and so easy to nivigate. To me Pearson is a nightmare. Also it's a domestic flight so once you're crossed the border no customs to worry about.

My family and I travel to disney four times a year and always fly out of buffalo. We prefer it to Toronto. Generally flying out of Buffalo saves you a great deal of money and the airport is easy to navigate through. Line up are always relatively short and curb side check in is so convenient. It's also very nice going crossing the border instead of going through customs at the airport. Once you're off the airplane at MCO you're headed straight for the mouse!

Although we have never had a problem with weather, Buffalo can get hit with bad storms. Also make sure if you do go out of Buffalo that you leave enough time in case of a problem at the border. Have a wonderful trip.

Personally I would rather fly out of TO. All I know is I'm usually so exhausted by the end of my Orlando vacation that I'd rather fly into my home city than have to drive for a couple of hours to get home. I had a bad upper resp cough and sinus illness on return from my trip a few weeks ago and all I wanted to do was get home. My plane arrived just after 10am and I was back in my apartment by 11. Remember you will also have to leave your vehicle in Buffalo. Depending on when you return boarder crossing could be lengthy. I'd sooner be indoors standing in a customs line than stuck in a car for a couple of hours. I noticed on Southwest many off the offered flights required stopovers or connections. If I had two small children I wouldn't want a longer flight/drive than necessary. Be careful in choosing if you want a direct flight.

I wouldn't even think twice about flying out of Buffalo, to me there is nothing worse then dragging the car seats, strollers, diaper bags and kids on the mile long walk in Toronto from where they let you off the plane to customs.

I love going over at Buffalo, customs in the car, the airport is so easy to navigate and they have a fisher price play area by the food court where the kids can play while you wait for your flights. The money you can save also helps.

I should let you know I live about an hour from the TO airport and 1.5 from Buffalo so I have to drive home either way.

allison

We live in Mississauga so are much closer to Pearson than Buffalo. That said we fly from Pearson about 2 times a year and from Buffalo about 8 times a year. The Toronto flights are usually reward flights using miles.

This last winter we were not once even de-iced once at either airport. The year before we went out through Buffalo a couple of days after they had the 8 foot dump. It would be most unlucky to actually get delayed by the weather.

We are normally travelling down there after leaving work early so are tight on time. If there is bad weather forecast allow extra time.

Airport parking is cheaper than off-airport parking - there is plenty of it these days - even at march break. Border crossing
once took us 30 minutes at a holiday time but is otherwise about 5 minutes. Even days after 9/11 it was only 15 minutes.

The airport is not too obvious to get to from the Peace Bridge. We use a residential street to get there without going through Downtown but none of the routes are wonderful. Fuel is cheaper past the airport than near the Bridge. The airport was expanded in 2000/2001 and is now much too large for the actual daily traffic.

Our preferred airline use mainly barbie jets rather than proper planes these days so we often fly with a partner airline instead.
When we last used Pearson (Victoria Day weekend) we had about 30 minute line for US Immigration and about the same for Canada Customs coming back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter