Reasons to say no

We pay $95 a month for weekly visits from our pool guy, every other week vacuum, every week chems and testing. We have two different types of termites on the island, crawling ones and swarming ones. So even with cinderblock walls, you need termite prevention. We have a ficus hedge, so we have twice a year white fly treatment to make sure we don't lose the hedge. Everything is more expensive on the island. I've seen beautiful condos in Naples for sale for around $30 to 40K, three bedrooms, two and half baths. But the HOA runs about $1800 a month (golf course, golf club, pool, maintenance, etc). My husband does our lawn because he likes to do it and he trims our hedges and tends to our gardens.

I was ecstatic when we got the price for our car insurance. It was half what we paid in Louisiana, but Louisiana has about the highest car insurance in the nation. I could cover two cars for the price of one in Louisiana.

OP, unless politics affect where you choose to live now I wouldn’t let that impact your decision. I think people outside the state have a very different view than those in the state. I don’t always agree with my state/local government but that’s true of everywhere I’ve lived. I’ve never chosen where to live based on the politicians. As for the regular folk, I’ve come across all kinds and like everywhere tend to gravitate towards those who share common values. Most of the “Floriduh” stuff is magnified in the media. It’s obviously happening somewhere but I’ve never seen any “Florida man” type behavior in person.

As a native Floridian with 45+ years here, just reading some of the other posters' comments, I'd agree w/above. What most of these folks who don't live here see or read is not always reflective of what life is really like for the majority of Floridians. And I suspect the same is true for other U.S. regions often in headlines.

All the warnings to stay away forever due to current covid issues don't make sense to me. This is a fluid, constantly changing crisis - people were talking about bailing out of NY/NJ in droves over this back in March. If Fauci is correct, there could be a safe, effective vaccine within a year from now or sooner, which could shift the calculus yet again. I wouldn't choose where I'm moving based upon current covid rates - but that's just me.

Same with political leadership....I remember when liberal democrats were the controlling party before it shifted to conservative republican. There's a lot of anger and voter unrest due to Covid, BLM and other current events that may create some change - it only takes 1-2 elections to completely shift course once again. However, right now, the leadership DOES affect things like unemployment, medicaid and other survival benefits for those out of work or lower income.

Florida isn't as consumer-friendly as majority of states. Not just in terms of very stingy benefits/support systems...gullible people are eaten alive down here. You need a little healthy skepticism. We get more than our fair share of financial, home repair, and other scammers and I'm constantly amazed at how little state/local agencies do or care, compared to the way I've personally seen other state agencies advocate on behalf of people in california or the northeast. It's definitely buyer beware here - I feel like we're on our own.

Weather-wise, dec thru april/may usually feels wonderful, other than an occasional warm front. It's brutally hot late May through mid Oct, aside from the occasional "cool" front (and "cool" means down to the '80s and lower humidity vs typical mid 90s with "feels like" 100+ temps). Personally, the worst months I dread every year are Aug-early Oct - that's when humidity/heat feels the worst to me - and it's when the hurricanes hit. (I'm actually considering moving out of Fl for that reason - just too many years of heat and hurricanes. Never lived anywhere with seasons (even mild ones) and I feel a little sad about that.)

There are so many magical things to do and explore here indoors and out, if/when a covid vaccine brings us closer to normal - I will miss that if I do leave. If you're bored here, you're just not trying! lol

Good luck and if you decide to move here.... :welcome:

Last edited:
We are pretty sure we will try to rent an Airbnb this winter for 6-8 weeks and see how life in FL goes before making any permanent decisions.

Just a humble suggestion: I'd really...really...really consider renting that Airbnb during SUMMER. Even though your brain knows it'll be hotter in summer...trust me that you have to feel it day in, day out to know if you can make a life here.

Many incoming residents were 100% sure they could handle the heat and were proven wrong their first summer down here. They ended up blowing a fortune in RE costs, wasted time and effort, only to move right back to where they came from or to another state in between. Rent in August/Sept. If you can do that and are still ready to make the move, you're home free!

Last edited:
I love living in Windermere. However, if I had known when I moved here what I know now, I probably wouldn't have moved here. The influx of new people to the area is insane. In the past 15 years, the area has changed dramatically. New housing everywhere. Traffic is a nightmare even in the suburban areas. Infrastructure can't begin to keep up with the amount of people moving to the area. Roads are insufficient for the amount of traffic. Schools are overcrowded before they are even completed. Shopping areas are limited for the number of people. And, the theme parks, which were great when I moved her 16 years ago, are so disappointing. Aside from the pandemic, they are so crowded locals can't do anything. We don't have the luxury of making dining and fastpass reservations months in advance. When you live in the area, you just don't make plans that far in advance. Thus, we go to a park and walk. That's about it. When the pandemic is over, I don't think I will be renewing my Disney or Universal passes. It's just not worth it.

We pay $130 a month for pool maintenance. He comes once a week to clean the pool and adjust the chemicals. We pay $200 a quarter for HOA. Good news...reclaimed water is cheap. Out water bill for the inside water and the reclaimed (for the irrigation sytem) is about $70 a month. We have a two story home with two air conditioners. Our bills range from $200 to $400 a month.

Last edited:

I love living in Windermere. However, if I had known when I moved here what I know now, I probably wouldn't have moved here. The influx of new people to the area is insane. In the past 15 years, the area has changed dramatically. New housing everywhere. Traffic is a nightmare even in the suburban areas. Infrastructure can't begin to keep up with the amount of people moving to the area. Roads are insufficient for the amount of traffic. Schools are overcrowded before they are even completed. Shopping areas are limited for the number of people. And, the theme parks, which were great when I moved her 16 years ago, are so disappointing. Aside from the pandemic, they are so crowded locals can't do anything. We don't have the luxury of making dining and fastpass reservations months in advance. When you live in the area, you just don't make plans that far in advance. Thus, we go to a park and walk. That's about it. When the pandemic is over, I don't think I will be renewing my Disney or Universal passes. It's just not worth it.
Yep. That’s why when these threads pop up, I never try to encourage people to move here. Let them think we’re all dodging giant insects and reptiles, fleeing hurricanes, getting attacked by gun-toting psychos, and electing Nazis. Let them stay and be happy where they are, but come visit often and spend all their discretionary income! Win win! :-D

We pay $95 a month for weekly visits from our pool guy, every other week vacuum, every week chems and testing. We have two different types of termites on the island, crawling ones and swarming ones. So even with cinderblock walls, you need termite prevention. We have a ficus hedge, so we have twice a year white fly treatment to make sure we don't lose the hedge. Everything is more expensive on the island. I've seen beautiful condos in Naples for sale for around $30 to 40K, three bedrooms, two and half baths. But the HOA runs about $1800 a month (golf course, golf club, pool, maintenance, etc). My husband does our lawn because he likes to do it and he trims our hedges and tends to our gardens.

I was ecstatic when we got the price for our car insurance. It was half what we paid in Louisiana, but Louisiana has about the highest car insurance in the nation. I could cover two cars for the price of one in Louisiana.
What island do you live on? DH and I will be looking at retirement in 10 to 12 years, so I’m always interested in threads like these. Not sure Florida is on our list, but Hilton Head is.

What island do you live on? DH and I will be looking at retirement in 10 to 12 years, so I’m always interested in threads like these. Not sure Florida is on our list, but Hilton Head is.
Deb lives on Marco Island, south of Naples on the extreme lower Gulf Coast.

However, most of coastal Florida is made up of barrier islands -- Miami Beach, Cocoa Beach, St. Pete Beach, Marco, Sanibel & Captiva Islands, Panama City Beach, etc, etc, etc.

Yep. That’s why when these threads pop up, I never try to encourage people to move here. Let them think we’re all dodging giant insects and reptiles, fleeing hurricanes, getting attacked by gun-toting psychos, and electing Nazis. Let them stay and be happy where they are, but come visit often and spend all their discretionary income! Win win! :-D

Occasionally all at the same time. lol

Update: we rented a home for 1 month in Windsor Hills this January to start checking out the area. We will be looking at long term rentals in Windermere and the surrounding area while we’re there. We’re going to take the advice to rent for 1 year but we don’t want to do it sight-unseen. And then we will go from there!!! Thanks to everyone for your advice! @pearlieq I keep thinking about what you said, “January in FL just makes you glad to be alive,” well I can’t wait to experience it!

This morning I showed DH a listing for a gorgeous home in Windermere, with more bedrooms and bathrooms and square feet than we currently have, plus a pool. The listing price is less than our current home is worth and showed lower taxes. For the first time, we started seriously asking ourselves, why don’t we move here?

It seems like there’s a real opportunity to get more value for less money than our current situation. We don’t have much family in our area, and DH’s job was wfh permanently even before the pandemic. We love Disney and it would be amazing to be annual passholders, and it would also be amazing to keep our lifestyle, possibly even upgrade it, for less.

So far, my reasons to say no are that I would miss the fall foliage, my friends in the area, and hurricanes. Is there anything major I’m missing? Giant killer iguanas or something?
Too many UFO sightings for us. You never know when they will have collected enough data and move on to Phase 2-Eradication. Florida’s climate must be close to their home world climate and Cape Kennedy is like a huge space beacon that will be attacked first on Earth. I understand that the Guardians of the Galaxy even plan for their new base to be located in Orlando.

I think another the reason the real estate is lower priced in Florida is because many of the houses are haunted. We have been both to a mansion and a hotel in Orlando that are haunted. We have seen this with our own eyes. The haunted hotel has a very scary elevator and the mansion has a room that gets smaller. Quite frightening.

Pirates, Dragons, Ghosts, and all manner of dangerous things are found in Florida. Better to stay in Philly.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter