Recent Alamo experience vs. Dollar

BAST

DIS Veteran
I have an Alamo minivan booked for the end of January that is cheaper than the minivan I have booked for Dollar (it is also a bigger minivan than the regular Caravan now offered by Dollar). HOWEVER, I have heard such bad things about Alamo that I may cancel that reservation and stick with Dollar. Please convince me that I am wrong and that Alamo has improved.:)

Well this has been my experience. I use ALAMO everywhere I go for leisure or business and I've used it for every trip to Orlando and I've NEVER had a problem with the service or the cars (I always rent a mid-size). I ALWAYS use Quicksilver which I cannot recommend enough. I think a lot of people have problems with long waits and Quicksilver takes care of that. I've never used anyone else at MCO so I can't compare, but why would I if I've always been happy with ALAMO. Just my opinion.

KarenT

I'm going to be using them for the first time too. They are now the official company of Disney and they are a sister company to National and are now onsite and share the same space as National.

I think the Alamo problems of the past may be going away...

poor service, rotten desk associates, poor attitudes, poor location and general I don't give a ****I would not use them if they were free...

Boy, nuthut, tell us how you really feel! I've looked at several threads on Alamo, and you always post your strong feelings. Why so much animosity? Did Alamo steal your girlfriend in high school? ;)

My first car rental in Orlando was through Alamo. And boy, nobody told me I'd have to catch a shuttle and nearly two and a half hours later be driving away! I know they are closer now.

They were slow, had greenies in the counters and were simply unpleasant. I'd rent a car through them if and only if I can have it delivered and picked up at the hotel, and only after reading people's experiences with them.

National and Dollar were a breeze

I rented twice from Alamo in Tampa back in 1987 & 1990. Terrible service, long lines and 3 cars that broke down on us.

That said, I'm going to try them again next month. Now that they are in the terminal and 13 years have gone by I will soon find out how they are now.

We got Alamo recently through Priceline, and I neither loved nor hated them. I prefer Avis because they give you an assigned car, and then you can just leave. With Alamo, you pick your own car (which was a challenge for us, since there were only two sub-compacts left and they were scattered), and then you have to drive up to a booth to check out. We got in very late at night, but unfortunately it was at the same time as a large international flight so the line was quite long. At least Alamo had enough people working so it went as quickly as possible. They tried to sell us the additional insurance but weren't overly pushy. The checkout took forever, possibly due to the recent merger with National. The car was an icky little Kia, but about what I'd expect for the price. The return was much quicker and smoother. If the price is right, I will use them again.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We got Alamo recently through Priceline, and I neither loved nor hated them. I prefer Avis because they give you an assigned car, and then you can just leave. With Alamo, you pick your own car (which was a challenge for us, since there were only two sub-compacts left and they were scattered), and then you have to drive up to a booth to check out. We got in very late at night, but unfortunately it was at the same time as a large international flight so the line was quite long. At least Alamo had enough people working so it went as quickly as possible. They tried to sell us the additional insurance but weren't overly pushy. The checkout took forever, possibly due to the recent merger with National. The car was an icky little Daewoo, but about what I'd expect for the price. The return was much quicker and smoother. If the price is right, I will use them again.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We used Dollar at MCO last March. The whole experience, including the rate I received, was painless. We will be using them again this Saturday for 10 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter