Recent changes for power chair?

oynk

Mouseketeer
My daughter uses a power wheelchair and we've never had any issues until recently. When we entered the line to ride POC the CM asked if the chair can be put in neutral, (it can and I actually prefer to do that once she transfers to the ride), and told us we would have to put it in neutral before we boarded. We had only gotten a few feet into the line when another CM came and told us that power chairs were not allowed and she would have to switch to one of their regular (manual) wheelchairs.

Honestly we weren't that into it, so we just left. I can push her if I need to, but that's a pretty long line and the main reason she has a power chair is that, in addition to her arms being to weak to propel herself in a chair, I'm really not able to push her for long distances.

I thought it was a bit strange since we've never had a problem before with her using her chair at POC, but whatever. Then we noticed that at pretty much every ride we went on, we were instructed to put the chair in neutral once she transferred.

At POC the reason we were told that she couldn't bring the chair in was because it was too heavy and the path through the line couldn't support the weight of the chair. That's pretty ridiculous since her chair weighs about 150 lbs (I know because I'm the one who used to have to disassemble it to put it in the car) and she weighs under 100 lbs.

I am wondering if some CM was moving a power chair (or ECV) by riding it and had some type of incident and now they are really cracking down on powered mobility devices.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

I hope not. I have a powerchair too (although mine is a Fold and Go and only weighs 50 lbs.), and am planning on taking mine down for the first time this year. I know from past experiences that Pirates won’t allow SCOOTERS in the line and you have to transfer to one of the run down loaner manual chairs outside.

When my mom asked why scooters weren’t allowed in, we were told that there wasn’t enough room in the queue for them to make the turns. Then a couple weeks ago, someone said on Facebook that the reason why was there wasn’t enough time to get the scooter to the unloading site of the ride.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Do you like your fold-n-go? She needs to get an adult size chair (her legs are too long to be comfortable in her current pediatric chair). We finally got a wheelchair accessible van because it was hard for me to lift the pieces on a regular basis but we were thinking a new chair that could be transported in a standard car, if needed, would be good in case she wanted to go somewhere with a group of friends or in someone else's car.

Interesting.

Do you like your fold-n-go? She needs to get an adult size chair (her legs are too long to be comfortable in her current pediatric chair). We finally got a wheelchair accessible van because it was hard for me to lift the pieces on a regular basis but we were thinking a new chair that could be transported in a standard car, if needed, would be good in case she wanted to go somewhere with a group of friends or in someone else's car.

Yeah, it’s the best portable powerchair on the market. They have different attachments such as footplates (standard, extended, flip away, and elevating), armrests, (standard or wide), and options like a headrest.

I hope not. I have a powerchair too (although mine is a Fold and Go and only weighs 50 lbs.), and am planning on taking mine down for the first time this year. I know from past experiences that Pirates won’t allow SCOOTERS in the line and you have to transfer to one of the run down loaner manual chairs outside.

When my mom asked why scooters weren’t allowed in, we were told that there wasn’t enough room in the queue for them to make the turns. Then a couple weeks ag, someone said on Facebook that the reason why was there wasn’t enough time to get the scooter to the unloading site of the ride.

We’re here and they won’t allow me to stay in it on POC and then Avatar I had to transfer to a “wheelchair”. I started to tell her that I’m in a wheelchair. (Let me clarify - on FOP, I was able to say in the chair up to the briefing room. POC, it was the entire queue. - I did ask why they wanted me to transfer from a wheelchair to a wheelchair, and they said no electric chairs were allowed).

Last edited:
My daughter uses a power wheelchair and we've never had any issues until recently. When we entered the line to ride POC the CM asked if the chair can be put in neutral, (it can and I actually prefer to do that once she transfers to the ride), and told us we would have to put it in neutral before we boarded. We had only gotten a few feet into the line when another CM came and told us that power chairs were not allowed and she would have to switch to one of their regular (manual) wheelchairs.

Honestly we weren't that into it, so we just left. I can push her if I need to, but that's a pretty long line and the main reason she has a power chair is that, in addition to her arms being to weak to propel herself in a chair, I'm really not able to push her for long distances.

I thought it was a bit strange since we've never had a problem before with her using her chair at POC, but whatever. Then we noticed that at pretty much every ride we went on, we were instructed to put the chair in neutral once she transferred.

At POC the reason we were told that she couldn't bring the chair in was because it was too heavy and the path through the line couldn't support the weight of the chair. That's pretty ridiculous since her chair weighs about 150 lbs (I know because I'm the one who used to have to disassemble it to put it in the car) and she weighs under 100 lbs.

I am wondering if some CM was moving a power chair (or ECV) by riding it and had some type of incident and now they are really cracking down on powered mobility devices.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

I used to use a scooter and they made me transfer on a lot of the rides. I did notice on POC and FOP that they made me transfer into their wheelchair. At FOP, the cast member actually told me I needed to be in a wheelchair…. As I was sitting in one. It’s frustrating when you have a wheelchair and they insist on moving you into theirs.

Last edited:
I used to use a scooter and they made me transfer on a lot of the rides. I did notice on POC and FOP that they made me transfer into their wheelchair. At FOB, the cast member actually told me I needed to be in a wheelchair…. As I was sitting in one. It’s frustrating when you have a wheelchair and they insist on moving you into theirs.
So you weren’t permitted to stay in your F&G at FOP? Was it the entire queue or just part of it? I would be traveling solo and can’t propel with one of my arms. Many powerchairs have a tighter turning radius than the manuals rented out in the park so a blanket ban makes no sense. Plus I’ve taken my chair in all the HHN (Halloween) houses at Universal multiple times and done fine and many of those turns are barely legal and done in in almost complete darkness.

So you weren’t permitted to stay in your F&G at FOP? Was it the entire queue or just part of it?

Weird, I’ve taken scooters through the queues up until the brief rooms where I just “Cane it” to the main portion.

So you weren’t permitted to stay in your F&G at FOP? Was it the entire queue or just part of it? I would be traveling solo and can’t propel with one of my arms. Many powerchairs have a tighter turning radius than the manuals rented out in the park so a blanket ban makes no sense. Plus I’ve taken my chair in all the HHN (Halloween) houses at Universal multiple times and done fine and many of those turns are barely legal and done in in almost complete darkness.

Two rides they made me transfer out of my Fold & Go - Pirates and Flight of Passage. All others allowed me to stay in the chair through the entire cue. For Pirates, it was the entire cue. At Flight of Passage, it was only in the rooms. At both they said they cannot allow electric wheelchairs or scooters. No other explanation as both allow personal manual chairs/knee scooters, etc.

I also cannot propel myself which is why I have a power chair, and it does have a tight turning radius.

Weird, I’ve taken scooters through the queues up until the brief rooms where I just “Cane it” to the main portion.

FOP it was up to the brief rooms - not the entire queue. I must have not made my answer clear. I’ll edit to clear it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter