Recently diagnosed celiac - quick service question

anealanis

Earning My Ears
Hi there our family has been to Disney parks for many years. Usually we go to WDW once a year, however, we are thinking of a Disneyland trip sometime soon. My question is, my daughter has recently (really recently) been diagnosed celiac and although I know that Disney has accommodated many allergies and I am sure our family is not the only ones attending the parks with allergens. This diagnose is very recent to us and I am concerned for the health of my girl. Therefore, my question is where can I find gluten free quick service in Disneyland and if should I be worried about cross-contamination. We are not planning any sit down restaurants. Thank you.

You should not be worried about cross contamination. I've read that the Disney kitchens are certified gf kitchens.

Jolly holiday was extremely accommodating for our The chef comes out to talk to you.

I've heard good things about Boardwalk pizza & pasta but didn't get gf there. We don't have a cross contamination issue so we just ordered something gf off the regular menu.

Hi there our family has been to Disney parks for many years. Usually we go to WDW once a year, however, we are thinking of a Disneyland trip sometime soon. My question is, my daughter has recently (really recently) been diagnosed celiac and although I know that Disney has accommodated many allergies and I am sure our family is not the only ones attending the parks with allergens. This diagnose is very recent to us and I am concerned for the health of my girl. Therefore, my question is where can I find gluten free quick service in Disneyland and if should I be worried about cross-contamination. We are not planning any sit down restaurants. Thank you.
I can't eat gluten. It seems that most restaurants in DL have GF options including swapping out reg. buns and bread for GF bread. One of our favorite QS meals is the citrus grilled chicken at Rancho Zocalo - it is large and feeds two of us and it is GF. Once I had a QS meal once at the Lucky Fortune Cookery and they had to give me a "sauce" (it was basically lemon and lime juice I think) off the menu because everything on the menu had gluten in it. There is a website that lists GF items - if you do a google search you'll probably find it but I don't think it is comprehensive or completely up to date. I have also found GF bloggers out there that report what they eat at Disney. I have a couple other dietary restrictions, not as strict as gluten free, but are fairly common and I find that eating in DL is quite doable with a little research and/or just asking at the restaurants since most have one or more options.

I'm celiac and have been for a very long time. She will be fine and able to eat better at Disney than almost anywhere else. Just ask for an allergy menu when you get to a QS and if you feel you need to, ask for a chef. They are happy to come out and talk to you and tell you the options and make you feel safe. Every QS has options. Jolly Holiday is delicious, Rancho is good, and I don't recommend just the regular burger. Not great. Have a great time.

Therefore, my question is where can I find gluten free quick service in Disneyland and if should I be worried about cross-contamination. We are not planning any sit down restaurants. Thank you.
You should have no problems. That said, do expect it to take a little longer.

We were at Smokejumpers a couple month ago. A gentleman ordered meals for his family. Everything was gluten free and dairy free. He then got very angry and abusive of the staff because his meal was taking 5 mins longer than the person who ordered at the same time as him. The head chef came out to explain since he said it was a serious allergy, they have to make sure they clean everything down again to make sure it is safe and no cross contamination. The guy was so angry, telling the chef they should not be making anyone else's food until his order was done. He was over the top.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gluten-free-dining-at-the-disneyland-resort-a-superthread.3003289/

There is tons of info on this thread. Keep in mind that the latest posts have the most current info and also that suppliers change so something mentioned as GF on this thread may not be or something that was a 'no no' before is now OK. Always ask first.

Disney is one of the best places to be Celiac. They really GET it. I usually just order off the allergen menus, but if this is your first trip you may feel more comfortable speaking to a chef.

Remember that GF meals do take anywhere from 10-20 minutes longer to prepare as far as CS and QS go. BFF and I have 'solved' this by having me get in line about 2-3 parties before she does so my order is well under way before she orders. TS doesn't have this problem as they 'time' the meals to come out together.

Also, especially since this is DD's first trip as a Celiac, be aware that virtually NONE of the 'fresh' treats she'll see in the cases is GF. Cross contamination is the issue with things that look like they should be OK but aren't. A lot of it I put down to 'dipping' treats in common pots with cookies, etc as well as baking taking place in a common kitchen facility. So no Tigger Tails, no Matterhorn Macaroons. The rice crispy things aren't GF either. I find this a bit 'painful' as an adult, for a child it can be sheer torture. They do have prepackaged brownies and cookies and they're ok, but it's not the same. So, be sure you bring her lots of special treats if you can. As far as 'in park', the pre-packaged caramel corn, English Toffee and Peanut Brittle at the candy shops have always been fine for me. The plain popcorn from the carts is too. And a visit (or two) to Sprinkles bakery in DTD may be in order as they have a GF red velvet cupcake that is delish.

To the best of my knowledge Disney's kitchens are NOT certified GF. A GF certified kitchen contains NO gluten in any form anywhere in the kitchen. Disney does NOT maintain a separate kitchen for GF food prep. They maintain separate areas for GF (and other allergens) and practice very good allergen prep and serve, but that's not the same as a GF kitchen. That being said, I've never been glutened at Disneyland or Disney World.

I was thinking, if there are things you know your little one really craves or might want, don't be afraid to ask us ahead of time where (or if) you can find them or a reasonable substitute.

For me it's always french fries! Where can I get GF french fries!!!!! (Hungry Bear and Smokejumpers spring to mind first). And Lucky Fortune Cookery makes a yummy GF Teriyaki bowl.

I was thinking, if there are things you know your little one really craves or might want, don't be afraid to ask us ahead of time where (or if) you can find them or a reasonable substitute.

For me it's always french fries! Where can I get GF french fries!!!!! (Hungry Bear and Smokejumpers spring to mind first). And Lucky Fortune Cookery makes a yummy GF Teriyaki bowl.
Interesting, when I went to LFC the CM said none of the sauces on the menu where GF and that the only thing they had was a citrus sauce. That was about 6 months ago though.

Interesting, when I went to LFC the CM said none of the sauces on the menu where GF and that the only thing they had was a citrus sauce. That was about 6 months ago though.

I had it 2 weeks ago. Before that in 2015 and 2016. Either your CM was misinformed or they had run out of the GF teriyaki.

Do you get the vegetables with it? When I ordered I didn't get any veg.

I don't really know for sure. I don't like veggies so I always ask for none. I think I recall a CM saying that the veggies weren't GF once when I ordered but I can't swear to it.

It is easy to ask for gluten free options. They do offer rice pasta, but it will take 20 minutes for them to make it. Having 2 gluten free people in my family has made Disney one of our main vacations because they are so good about dealing with it. You can get something from just about anywhere in the parks.

:welcome:

My wife has battled Celiac (curse you!!!!!) for the last 3 years. DL is really good about having lots of GF options, which is one of the reasons we continue to vacation there.

Some of her favorites:
Teriyaki Bowl at Lucky Fortune Cookery - DCA
Turkey Legs - Yes! They're GF!
Enchiladas at Rancho Del Zocalo - DL
GF Buns for burgers at every counter service
GF Buns for hot dogs at Award Weiners - DCA
Pop corn and Ice Cream (except Cookies and Cream)

:welcome:

My wife has battled Celiac (curse you!!!!!) for the last 3 years. DL is really good about having lots of GF options, which is one of the reasons we continue to vacation there.

Some of her favorites:
Teriyaki Bowl at Lucky Fortune Cookery - DCA
Turkey Legs - Yes! They're GF!
Enchiladas at Rancho Del Zocalo - DL
GF Buns for burgers at every counter service
GF Buns for hot dogs at Award Weiners - DCA
Pop corn and Ice Cream (except Cookies and Cream)

BFF and I have been wanting to try the turkey legs, but the meat just looks so salty and, idk, a weird color that we keep talking ourselves out of it. And they're too big for one. My son says they're delish so I think next time we'll bring in a couple of pieces of bread and make a turkey leg sammie.

How are the dogs at AW? The only hot dog I've had at DL was at Coke corner. It was their 'allergy free' dog and it was the nastiest, rubbery-est, foulest tasting dog I've ever had. I actually threw it away it was so bad. It scared me away from trying another hot dog.

We were at DL earlier this year with a friend who has celiac disease and I sent her the following link prior to our trip. The website was recommended by another friend. My celiac friend had success with everything she ate at DL. No side effects, no problems.

http://disney-eats.blogspot.com/p/disneyland-parks-gluten-free-list.html

This link was provided earlier in this thread. Again, this list is outdated. Be sure to check with a chef before ordering anything on this list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter