Recheck fares for your flight.

KarenT

Mouseketeer
I'm hoping this is not misconstrued as being callous. I just think it could help out others that have trips already planned.

This morning I went back to check availability of flights out of San Diego. I had a flight scheduled on Southwest Airlines that
was not leaving until 1:00 in the afternoon and arriving at MCO at 11:05 pm. Anyhow, not only was I able to get an earlier flight out but the fares had dropped considerably. I'm now paying $122 round trip from SAN to MCO. Southwest has issued a credit for the difference to be used with 1 year of original purchase. I guess it must be because of the unfortunate incidents of 9/11. Like I said before, this might help others that are planning on going to WDW.:confused:

KarenT

I can second that. Today I found out that my Delta flight from San Diego to Orlando had dropped to $145 roundtrip. My ticket had cost $178 (which I thought was fantastic to begin with) so I called to see if I could get a voucher for the difference. Much to my surprise, they reissued the ticket and told me they'd be crediting the difference to my credit card!

I believe this was due to recent events and the fact that my flight leaves in a little over a week -- I've never before been offered a partial refund on a nonrefundable fare, and I don't ever expect to see one again!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Our vacation plans are just getting worse and worse.

We were supposed to fly out of Detroit on 9-14. Understandably we needed to make some adjustments. Not a problem we can delay our trip, I felt much better about it in light of what the entire county was facing.

We had tickets on Delta for 167.00, they agreed to give us a refund and we purchased flights on Spirit Airlines. Tickets were about $20 more each, but at this point what is $80?? Last night I checked our flights (always afaid I missed the good deal!) and our return flight has been canceled. They put us on a flight at 12:45. This would cut our vacation short by a full day :( I talk to the airling and they agree they will give us a refund. Problem is....... Delta is now over 200 to go from Detroit to Orlando. It has started to really make me angry that ppl are flying across the country (using much more fuel and time and what not) for much cheaper than we can get the flights.

If it was just me and husband we could easily forget going for the time being. We would rather be in touch with what is going on inn our Country and I am sure our vacation dollars could be put to good use. BUT the look on the kids face, that disappointment, is too much. It bothers me that the act of a group of ppl has caused them so much disappointment. We are now talking about driving.... something we are totally against, but what are you to do?

Melody

What are your travel dates? Are they flexible? I just did a search on Travelocity.com and saw airfare for $158 round trip with Nortwest, Continental and Spirit. Also, have you checked flying to Tampa? It may save some money.

I also saved $40 on my trip with Southwest by rebooking.

I originally paid 167$ on Delta for LGA to MCO 2 weeks ago the price went up to 376$ now the price as of yesterday is 129$ roundtrip and so we got vouchers for the difference and saved about 50 some odd dollars. Thanks for the info and help I never knew you could get vouchers for the difference before I read these sites!

I agree on checking Tampa. I've flown into TPA many times. The airport is very nice (nicer, IMO than MCO) and it's not as busy. Considering how far away MCO is from WDW, you're only adding 30-45 minutes onto your trip my flying into TPA as it's about an hour drive from TPA to WDW.

plus you are coming into WDW from "below" meaning i4 hits WDW before orlando....

thinking about it....it usually takes about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get from the airport to WDW when flying into mco....so tpa might not be that much more time when you consider that....

MelodyD -

What are your flight dates? Are they flexible at all? When I check in November on Orbitz for Detroit to MCO - Delta, US Air, Continental, and Northwest are all showing fares for less than $200. I didn't try Tampa, but that is a good suggestion.

Maybe Priceline?

I live in Tampa. Most of the time the drive to Disney world is not bad. But if you book your flight try to miss rush hour. The airport is on the west side of downtown, so you must travel through it to get to I4. If you were to arrive around 2-3 you will be in disney b4 most of the traffic starts and there is less likely to be an accident on I4 between here and Disney (which will add quite a bit of time to your trip).

Another solution is to avoid I-4 altogether by taking the Greeneway toll road that takes you into the back door of Disney avoid most all of the traffic. I believe the toll is in the neighborhood of $2.50 each way but darn well worth it, even if it is a bit of a tourist rip-off.

I'm so glad I checked mine yesterday. We had originally paid $216 per ticket (5 of us), so I've been watching very closely. I checked yesterday afternoon and, much to my surprise, I found that it had dropped to $155! I got on the phone immediately and they're sending me vouchers. Just out of curiosity, I checked it again today - it was up to $237!

Beth

Melody:

We are flying out of DTW in October. If you want to go non-stop to MCO or TPA (we have a 2 /12 year old so that is all we look at), unfortunately, your only choices are Northwest and Spirit. For our October trip, I ended up booking Northwest for two reasons: there are more flights per day so you have more flexiblity (if cancelled, delayed, etc); and, it was actually cheaper than Spirit $179 total (including taxes) rountrip to MCO on NWA versus $210 on Spirit. That is the cheapest I have seen on NWA so far.

I just checked last night for our dates and it seems you can still get something for $189 non-stop on Northwest (out on a Wednesday, back on a Saturday).

Spirit posts their Cyber specials on Thursday night at midnight. They have been having some pretty cheap flights to MCO or TPA with the dates extending out a month or two if you can make the dates work--they didn't for us.

Also, I checked yesterday, and if you don't mind a stop, Southwest seemed to have some internet Speicals that were a little less than that.

We flew in May to TPA because it was much cheaper per ticket at that time ($75 per ticket x 3). The drive wasn't bad at all.

If I can help you out, let me know. I can check your dates if you wish.

Trudy

We booked our trip for Nov 7-12 and got 81.00 roundtrip from sdf to tpa. I booked a couple of weeks ago and it was 100.00 cheaper each ticket just to fly into tpa. Well worth it and we got a luxury car from priceline for 20.00 daily. I think I got lucky

We booked LGA-MCO 12/7 to 12/18 thru Delta's website. Originally $166 RT -- now $128.50 RT on line!!! Delta only issues transferable vouchers - and only for the over the phone fare ($144). In the end, I'll get back only $40 in vouchers - despite an $80 drop in fares. However, I can use these vouchers to off-set a $40 fee to cancel my wife's (first class) "miles" ticket and turn it into a cash ticket (for $128 - it makes no sense to use the miles).

I shouldn't complain. I'm certainly not doing any worse than I was before the horrific events of last week. Besides, it seems like the airlines and the economy need my money more now than ever!

Our travel dates are 9-28 until 10-6 It is getting a bit late in the game to be too flexible. We had booked with Spirit for $189 each, not too bad considering I grabbed these tickets on 9-12 (or original travel date was 9-14 until 9-22) we decided to postpone a couple of weeks after the recent tragedy.

Spirit cancelled our return flight and put us on a 12:00 flight on a Saturday. I am not willing to leave that early. Finally after days of battle with them I was told I will be issued a refund for those tickets. We have officially decided to drive. There is just too much uncertainty in our Country right now and I do not want to be stuck out of town if something is going on.

If it weren't for our sons (8 and 9) I would just postpone this trip until after Christmas..........

Melody
(vacation planning used to be fun)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter