Recipes for Runners on the Go!

This is taken from Muscle & Fitness April 2002. Written by Laura Creavalle under the "Muscle Fare" section. Your mileage may vary.

Spicy Chicken Fingers

1 Tbsp Accent of Mrs. Dash Spicy
1-2 tsp. Cajun spice
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup of flour
2 large egg whites
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
Non stick cooking spray

Combine spices and flour in small bowl. In another bowl beat egg whites w/ fork. Thoroughly coat pan with nonstick cooking spray. Dip chicken in egg whites, then in seasoned flour, pressing the flour into each chicken strip. Arrange chicken pieces in skillet. Cook over medium heat, turn after 5 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Serves four (or one hungry person).

Per serving: 195 calories, 29 g protein, 12 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, trace fiber.

The article mentions for those bulking up to serve with pasta and the dieter can add to a bowl of salad greens.

Dipping sauce: Combine a few tablespoons of fat-free mayonnaise with Dijon mustard.

Good luck

24 Hour Black Bean Crockpot Soup

I love the smell of this soup. You can put it together fast. I don't pre-soak the beans. Just wash and sort. This makes a thick soup and I freeze the extra. You can serve it over rice or put it in a fat free tortilla with some l. f. cheese. It's thicker the second day and sometimes I use it for veggie dip.

1 (16 oz. bag) dry black beans
1 pint salsa
1 ( 15 oz. tomato sauce
1 (15oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

Wash and sort beans. Put in crock pot. Add water to cover. Add rest of ingredients. You should have a full (3 1/2 quart )crockpot. Cover and cook low 20-24 hours. High, 15 hours. If you use high, stir occasionally. Master cook calculates this as 12 cups, 150 cal, 1 fat, 7 fiber each cup.

Just wanted to let you know that I threw this in the crockpot yesterday and I can't wait to eat it today with some brown rice. I woke up in the middle of the night and it smelled sooo good! I just tested it a couple minutes ago to see if it was done and the flavor was incredible!

Thanks for the great recipe!

I've been addicted to Cooking Light lately..here's some of the ones I've tried and really liked... I'll post more as time goes on...

Ancho Pork and Peppers

Recipe Online

Yield

4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and about 3/4 cup pepper mixture)
Ingredients

* 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon salt, divided
* 4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
* Cooking spray
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 3 cups vertically sliced onion
* 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
* 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Preparation

Combine chile powder, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of pork with chile mixture. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in juice.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
248 (32% from fat)
Fat:
8.9g (sat 2.8g,mono 4.1g,poly 0.8g)
Protein:
27.7g
Carbohydrate:
14.1g
Fiber:
3.3g
Cholesterol:
73mg
Iron:
1.9mg
Sodium:
675mg
Calcium:
57mg

Honey and Spice-Glazed Pork Chops

Recipe Online

Yield

4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and 1 tablespoon glaze)
Ingredients

* 1/4 cup honey
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* Cooking spray
* 4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low; add honey mixture. Cook 10 minutes or until done, turning pork once.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
321 (34% from fat)
Fat:
12.1g (sat 4.1g,mono 5.5g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:
34g
Carbohydrate:
18.7g
Fiber:
0.3g
Cholesterol:
92mg
Iron:
1.3mg
Sodium:
557mg
Calcium:
50mg

Chicken Potpies -these were amazing!

Recipe Online

Yield

3 servings (serving size: 1 pie)
Ingredients

* 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
* Cooking spray
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 8 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1 1/4 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
* 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
* 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°.

Cut 3 (4-inch) circles out of dough; discard remaining dough. Place dough circles on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Pierce top of dough with a fork. Bake dough at 425° for 8 minutes or until golden.

Combine flour, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and toss to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Stir in water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in vegetables, mushrooms, and soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes. Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture into each of 3 (1-cup) ramekins or bowls; top each serving with 1 piecrust.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
374 (27% from fat)
Fat:
11.4g (sat 4.8g,mono 4.2g,poly 1.2g)
Protein:
24.1g
Carbohydrate:
42.6g
Fiber:
4.6g
Cholesterol:
58mg
Iron:
1.9mg
Sodium:
882mg
Calcium:
38mg

Great recipes!

One of my favorite easy crock pot recipes (if you even want to call it a recipe) is to get a pork shoulder, trim the fat off of it, put it in the crockpot with a bottle of barbeque sauce, slice up an onion and throw it on top of the concoction, and then cook it on high for 6 hours. Once it's done, shred the pork with a fork and serve it on healthy buns (we use Arnold Sandwich Thins) and a salad. Really easy and tasty and it reheats well for sandwiches the next day.

1 can chickpeas,
2 c chicken broth
1/2 lb ground beef or turkey
2 small eggplants or medium zucchinis, chopped (I used eggplant, zuke and asian eggplant)
1 pound fresh mushrooms (any kind), trimmed and sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 leek chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cups peeled, seeded, chopped tomato

I put all this in the crockpot for 8 to 10 hours. It was delicious!!

I love the smell of this soup. You can put it together fast. I don't pre-soak the beans. Just wash and sort. This makes a thick soup and I freeze the extra. You can serve it over rice or put it in a fat free tortilla with some l. f. cheese. It's thicker the second day and sometimes I use it for veggie dip.

1 pint salsa
1 ( 15 oz. tomato sauce
2 onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Wash and sort beans. Put in crock pot. Add water to cover. Add rest of ingredients. You should have a full (3 1/2 quart )crockpot. Cover and cook low 20-24 hours. High, 15 hours. If you use high, stir occasionally. Master cook calculates this as 12 cups, 150 cal, 1 fat, 7 fiber each cup.

I made this recipe and added chicken breast to it. We ate it last night and tonight. My son and I absolutely loved it. He added hot sauce to it, but I liked it just the way it was. Thank you for the recipe!!!!

My purpose of visiting this forum is accomplished now. Finally i got a fantastic recipe and now i am gonna try this.

Hi,
I want to add this link because i think it contains more useful information about recipes for runners...
mastersinhealthcare.com/.../recipes-for-runners-100-delicious-dishes-for-every-step-of-the-way/
I hope you guys would like it too..

Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs

Original recipe yield:
12 servings

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 15 Min
READY IN 3 Hrs

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cloves garlic
5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces skewers

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before
adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs
while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl,
and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
Preheat the grill for high heat.
Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread
chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to
15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved
marinade frequently.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 177

Total Fat: 6.6g
Cholesterol: 45mg
Sodium: 447mg
Total Carbs: 12.4g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Protein: 17.3g

This sounds soooo yummy!

1 pint salsa
1 ( 15 oz. tomato sauce
2 onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

I know I am late, but I just found this thread. I cannot wait to try several of the recipes. I love black bean soup, so this will be the first one I will try.
Thank you all for posting these!

Subscribing!pixiedust: I need more veggies in my life... I am waiting for my garden to produce produce, but its taking a while! I will have 20 lbs of zucchini and summer squash before I know it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter