Refurbs bumped to 2025

I have stayed in Loews, but not at Universal.

Are the ones at Universal true luxury products?
I've stayed at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific at Universal. They were fun resorts in good locations but I definitely would not consider them 'true luxury products'. The rooms were probably on a par with WDW rooms. The service, for me, was not as good as Disney. I've only stayed at each once but the check in experience has been poor both times, and was actually rude at Hard Rock. They made us feel unwelcome because we didn't book directly (we weren't actually able to from the UK!). We stayed club level at Royal Pacific this year, so I can't compare this to any of our DVC stays, but compared to the one club level stay we did at WDW it was nowhere near the same standard.

I would still stay at Royal Pacific again as I enjoyed the hotel, and I'd like to try Portofino Bay one day, but they're good hotel stays in a great location. They don't come close to luxury hotels, from my experience.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining. I didn't stay there, nor do I own DVC, for luxury. I do value convenience and a few 'extras' though!

Haha, owner here! I hope everyone who wants to stay next fall will drop their 11 month reservations and move somewhere else that is themed the way they envision.

That may allow me to get a reservation at my home resort.

Stayed there for 4 nights in a Boardwalk View studio with the new decor and other than there being no more table and chair to sit on to eat, I found it lovely.

I did not love it in online photos or videos.

Wait, you are correct! It's bland and themeless! Go somewhere else!
I may take advantage in Sept and grab standard there. I won't love it but I like the area and two strollers for small girls and avoiding buses will be nice. Location over theme I guess.

I may take advantage in Sept and grab standard there. I won't love it but I like the area and two strollers for small girls and avoiding buses will be nice. Location over theme I guess.

Not much left there right now. Maybe you will get lucky with a wait list. Good luck!

Not much left there right now. Maybe you will get lucky with a wait list. Good luck!
True. Maybe elsewhere but I see a lot in Aug and July. Thought people may be walking points still but lots of hate from owners may open rooms. I will find something though! BLT 10 nights was the plan but now for sure split staying somewhere like this with no refurb in place.

Can the studios in BLT even accommodate a Murphy bed? No problem in the 1BRs but the studios don’t seem big enough unless the rework the kitchenette.

I would think it's more to do with the narrowness of the room - maybe a full size murphy may be possible next to the bed, but I don't see there being a 5th sleeping possible, with or without a kitchenette. But it's been a while since I've been in a BLT studio so my memory may be hazy.

Also, I would hate for them to do anything to the kitchenette because in my retirement fantasy I would stay in a BLT studio by myself or with the husband, and that kitchenette would really come in handy. (It is reportedly a nice quiet and dark place for a crib, too, though we had 2 kids by the time we bought in...

I had my heart set on Kidani Village for our Disney trip in March 2025, but I saw that it’s being renovated next year—can anyone weigh in on how much of an issue that’s likely to be? (noise, less room availability, etc)

I had my heart set on Kidani Village for our Disney trip in March 2025, but I saw that it’s being renovated next year—can anyone weigh in on how much of an issue that’s likely to be? (noise, less room availability, etc)
Based on what they did at boardwalk they really seem to be cheaping out on the full referbs… they are more like soft goods referbs now. They will probably just paint the walls white, replace the carpet and install murphy beds. It probably won’t be very disruptive at all. They will probably be like 2 days per room working on sections of rooms at a time.

I don’t expect the DVC referb to be even close to what they did to the hotel rooms a few years ago.

At boardwalk they didn’t replace any cabinets, tiles or doors… they didn’t even get the new rain shower heads. what a cheap full referb… and I’m sure that will be the path forward for DVC.

I was super excited for the AKV and VGC referbs until I saw how bad they cheaped out at boardwalk.

AKV does need the refurb but...you think they're gonna screw it up and ruin the ambiance and charm that makes AKV...AKV? Right now BWV is so bland and themeless and I know DVC is hearing it from the owners. I almost feel like it's better to have it pushed back because maybe by then whoever is in charge of making hotels look like a Marriott will have been replaced by someone who "gets it"? Just trying to be positive about this one as AKV is a home resort.
This is my concern also. I just stayed there recently and I would really miss the animal themed furnishings, regardless of how big and chunky they are.

At boardwalk they didn’t replace any cabinets, tiles or doors… they didn’t even get the new rain shower heads. what a cheap full referb… and I’m sure that will be the path forward for DVC.

I was super excited for the AKV and VGC referbs until I saw how bad they cheaped out at boardwalk.
What are you talking about??

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 8.44.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 8.47.01 AM.png

I don't quite understand the hate for the BWV rooms. I wish they kept the fan, and perhaps another splash of colour on the main wall, but that's subjective.
As for the table in the studio, I prefer the new coffee table with ability to raise. Each to their own.

I don't quite understand the hate for the BWV rooms. I wish they kept the fan, and perhaps another splash of colour on the main wall, but that's subjective.
As for the table in the studio, I prefer the new coffee table with ability to raise. Each to their own.
Same. I'm loving the pictures. The only thing I'm not liking is the lack of an actual table and chairs in the studios. I really hate those pull up coffee tables as they are a weird height for me and I don't like my kids eating on a couch.

Based on what they did at boardwalk they really seem to be cheaping out on the full referbs… they are more like soft goods referbs now. They will probably just paint the walls white, replace the carpet and install murphy beds. It probably won’t be very disruptive at all. They will probably be like 2 days per room working on sections of rooms at a time.

I don’t expect the DVC referb to be even close to what they did to the hotel rooms a few years ago.

I saw this same thing on FB from someone. Perhaps from you? Are you looking at the previous refurb info? Even for that one they replaced tile in the kitchen and master baths. Studios were left with original tile during that refurb but that's been changed out with this refurb. Kitchen cabinets - they have never fully switched them out in a refurb although they do paint them and do door replacements sometimes. They have changed the bathroom cabinets (in some at least). I thought they added shower doors to the tubs removing shower curtains. Rain shower heads? That is a complete plumbing change and I'd not expect that from any refurb. If you mean a rain shower head on the existing well, that's a design choice and wouldn't really be a rain shower. Flooring changed. If it was carpet again in the bedrooms I'd be happy. Don't care a lot for the noise produced in the villas they've changed out to some time of hard flooring. SSR and BRV were the last ones before BWV and received all that you outline except full kitchen cabinet replace. Many of the previous refurbs seems to have odd "cheap out" things done but that's been less recently, not more.

Now if you want to talk about design in some of them I'm there. :rotfl:

They have to balance it with the cost.

We stayed at BLT last week and the room was clean and in good repair. However it was also looking a little dated. No USB ports, smallish TV with none of the newer interactive TV services, shower was very basic (no rain shower, etc), carpeting throughout.

There will never be universal agreement on the proper balance of cost vs frequency. This isn't 2 hours power washing siding on a Saturday. It's gutting a room down to the studs. The original estimate with OKW and other resorts was 12 years for a refresh and 25 years before a of major refurb. (That would put BLT more than a decade away from its first hard goods refurb.) Fortunately they accelerated it to 7/14. Going even more frequently would drive up dues.
You don’t say…. Had no idea it cost money for a refurb.

My point is Disney / DVC has some of the most expensive dues , and the room maintenance should appear as such.
It’s not always necessary to “take it to the studs” to have proper maintenance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter