RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

As @bama_ed had let us all know this will be pretty free flowing as far as activities go other than the Monday “meet.” DW and I are making an “Activities” whiteboard sign to keep at a central location that folks can write down activities they’re doing they want to invite others to (we’ll keep an eye on this thread too and try to keep it up to date on the board.) I know we also discussed an un-official campsite decorating contest so feel free to decorate if ya want but don’t feel obligated.

We too are keeping our schedule pretty free so we can hang out with everyone.

(Just moving this to a new post so my original post can be used for potluck)

Yeah, minus the kids DW and i will not be running around as much. Ill have to change our DR as most of them were centered on fun places for kids.

It appears Trails End is off reservations so I guess we'll explore some resort options for meals.

@Bishoparc count me in on get together for anywhere between 2-6 people. It seems that there will be plenty of chips and dips so I won't add to that, and come with something else. Even it's just bringing some Chips A'hoy.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I can bring Tea. I'll do regular tea and unsweet as well. I think I may still be able to sun tea in FL in October.

Tea is good! Will need few folks to contribute on drinks. Bottled water would be fine.
Will someone commit to ice? I can provide cooler to put it in.

Ok, we are good. We now have reservations for the trip down and home again. How early we get there Sunday will depend on if our site is open or not. We will be spending Saturday night in Titusville. So only a short hour and 15 or so hop over. Now the planning, packing, and prepping begins, he camping 3P's. 32 Days left.

Ok, we are good. We now have reservations for the trip down and home again. How early we get there Sunday will depend on if our site is open or not. We will be spending Saturday night in Titusville. So only a short hour and 15 or so hop over. Now the planning, packing, and prepping begins, he camping 3P's. 32 Days left.
Yeah I think we are going to drive on down Friday night and stay somewhere close so we're there early Saturday. Got lots of decorating :rolleyes1 to do

It's okay man. I'll do the usual sit and stare tactic. For extra effect I'll wear my cut off jeans and Skoal shirt with the Budweiser hat and mullet wig. They'll leave...don't worry.

Okay I've updated the the attendance/hc chart in post #1. Dave, I split your 2-6 hc between your two sites. If I don't hear from the rest in the next day or two, I'm going to PM them to get the counts. Got to keep this moving forward.

On a personal note, I'm not much into decorations but I have become a souvenir nerd. Each time the last couple trips I've brought home something different that's kinda unique. They aren't the kinda things you would buy in a merch store like the Emporium on Main Street. No, you get these at the counter service restaurants around the parks.

My DD (former College Program CM) thinks my taste in these souvenirs is tacky. (She also thinks my black knee socks with my gym shorts are tacky but nm). I go for the plastic, gaudy, over-the-top, tacky souvenir. She likes glass and metal - I like plastic that can go top rack in the dishwasher.

Anyway, here is what I have assembled thus far so you can see the direction I'm headed in:

A mug from Gaston's Tavern:

20200909_180234.jpg

Love me some Country Bears. This jug is from Pecos Bill's:

20200728_161748.jpg

A miniature Mickey's Kitchen Sink from the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor:

20200727_194054.jpg

And the one that started it all. A Dole Whip bowl from the Poly:

20200520_193847_zpslsvp7wtr.jpg

(got two of those bad boys - yessssir).

As I was scouting for my souvenir to get on this trip, I ran into some trouble. A lot of the food places are closed currently (counter service) that offer these kinds of things. And even those places that are open have offerings that have been reduced, simplified, and streamlined. But I did find one item introduced last year that in the on-line reviews said it was only going to be offered for a year (which started Sep 2019).

It was SO cute and I didn't want to run the risk of NOT getting it so ...... I got it already ...... on eBay (brand new still in the plastic bag). I see it currently on the on-line menu at Pecos Bill's but who knows if it will still be there and available next month? Sure I paid a few dollars extra from eBay but brand spankin' new still in its sealed plastic bag.

The Mickey Mouse Sipper (cup).

20200818_123951_zpsmprfpo9c.jpg

He's about as tall as a 2-liter Coke bottle (so you get a sense of size). Heavy. His head/skull top with the clear plastic straw pops off so you can fill up his shorts, body, and head with about 16oz of your favorite beverage. And he wasn't made in China but in the Keystone State of Pennsylvania.

20200818_123832_zpshkq9vij3.jpg

The eBay seller (Goodwill of Orange County CA) still has many available. Here is the link if anyone wants to jump out there.

Mickey Sipper Seller Ed Used

Pressure is now off for this trip. I can use the DISMeet to do recon for my February 2021 trip (with DD in tow giving me her opinion). :chat:

Bama Ed

PS - due to his unique shape, Mickey won't go top rack in the dishwasher. He's got to be cleaned manually.

Last edited:
That is really cute.

j

Getcha one, Jim.

Not pictured I have some other stuff like the Skipper Cantina metal cup, WDW refillable mug, a glass Rose & Crown Pint Glass, and the Krakatoa souvenir cup from Trader Sam's/Poly. But they're kinda "eh" :confused3 compared to the Mickey Sipper.

I'm hoping by next Feb they will have introduced something for the 50th MK Anniversary.

Bama Ed

Dave, I split your 2-6 hc between your two sites.

I'm sure what what hc means, so I gonna try to answer what questions I think it could be.

At out sites Myself DW and Mom will be on my site starting on the 4th. DS1, DDiL, DS2 will arrive on the 7th. At that point Mom DS1 and DDiL will move onto Mom's site and DS2 will be with me and DW. When the kids leave Mom will move back onto out site.

As for who will attend the get together ...
Myself
DW says she may come by for a bit.
Probably Mom since she will get to meet new people.
Maybe DS1 and DDiL
DS2 is actually still only a 'leaning to yes' for the trip in general, and unless everyone is going to the get together he probably won't.

I'm gonna try to everyone to go.

Oh, and I collect the mugs and accessory items as well. I have the Country Bears Jug, and we use our mini kitchen sink in the kitchen to hold scrub pads, sponges, etc.

But here is my favorite item. I got this back in the mid 90's on my first or maybe second visit to the fort.

mug.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter