RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

In the morning....

Okay I updated the chart in post #1 with HC (headcount) based on best guess methodology.

Also I've spoken with the head cook and a burger/hot dog pot luck is scheduled for 5pm on Monday October 12. I've seen people volunteer to bring some side dishes and that's great - keep it coming.

As I mentioned previously, I will be repairing my Mickey Lamp made years ago. Our poster @CDNCruiser (Gary) provided these instructions over 10 years ago and now I see he has a YT version of instructions (naturally) but there is a link in the post below with the original written instructions.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/mickey-mouse-lamp-post-video-instructions.3713235/

Also please consider making a donation to Give Kids the World Village on our special DISMeet giving page. You can make a donation in your name or anonymously and any amount would be appreciated. As I said earlier in this thread, DISMeets (and the DIS in general) supporting GKTW is a tradition.

https://give.gktw.org/team/313091

Here's more info on GKTW.

Bama Ed

I got my main Mickey globe lamp repairs done today. At least done enough to make it through the October and February Fort trips. I'm gonna have to be more gentle with it while loading, unloading, and traveling.

Here is the base of the globe (the light base) that had my usual go-to green DIS light:

20200914_100254.jpg

I swapped it out for the Halloween/orange light bulb that I had from the 2017 Fort stay:

20200914_100444.jpg

One ear globe had lost its adhesion to the head globe and was "wobbly". You can see the gap between the old adhesive and the ear globe:

20200914_100502.jpg

The further back you stand away from it, the better it looks. :rotfl:

20200914_100514.jpg

I touched up the ear globes with some more adhesive after scraping away the old stuff. Then held everything in place with painter's tape while it dried.

20200914_102824.jpg

After a couple hours of drying, I set it in a dark corner of the garage to get a picture while it was getting twilight here:

20200914_174710.jpg

More lamp work still to do. I need to build a new base/stand for it (the old wooden one has dried/cracked/split). It worked fine so I'm simply going to make another. Saved the feet hardware off the old one (which will be used for kindling wood). Won't be hard to do.

The last step is to touch up the long post with some black spray paint (the can travels with us for touch ups after we set up at our destination).

Tik tok. :hourglass

Bama Ed

PS - please consider donating something to GKTW.

PPS - touched up the fluids in the Suburban, new f/r wipers, and a shiny new hitch ball!

Last edited:
More lamp work still to do. I need to build a new base/stand for it (the old wooden one has dried/cracked/split).

PPS - touched up the fluids in the Suburban, new f/r wipers, and a shiny new hitch ball!
I have 1 milk can left, if you want to make a fancier base. I think it needs a lid, but I can bring it next month.

Funny on the new hitch ball. I just bought a new receiver and ball. The one I had in the old truck was pretty rusted and nasty. I'll need something to pick up the golf cart and WalMart had the drop receiver and ball for $20.

j

Ed,
love the lamp...
I’m going to add my oldest niece to our group as COVID has delayed her graduate school admission and her job has her on temp furlough....so to give her something positive I’ll be bringing her down with me.
I’ll bring some dessert...not sure what yet but probably some form of chocolate.

Updated the attendance table in post #1 with minor updates. Ed

OK I think I have cleared everything pressing of my plate and can now focus on this trip.

I have my park reservations, dining reservations, golf cart reservation from Tee Time, online check-in done, reservations for the night before arrival at Lake Griffon park in Leesburg, and a new battery for camper.

I still have to change the oil in the truck, replace a taillight on the camper, replace some interior lights in the camper, install a new water pump, and pack the camper and gear. Last thing will be washing the camper and the truck.

Time to get busy.

Depending on the amount of vermin running across the road on my trip down I might add to the menu.
MS isn't the only place with road kill delicacies. This pic below is from a place we like in St. Thomas.

We used to have restaurant in town call the "Road Kill Cafe". It closed down, don't know why.:scratchin

Funny on the new hitch ball. I just bought a new receiver and ball. The one I had in the old truck was pretty rusted and nasty. I'll need something to pick up the golf cart and WalMart had the drop receiver and ball for $20.

I need to ad that my list to do as well. Are you getting one from Tee Time? if so is it a 2" ball?

Is someone lined up to bring buns by chance? Condiments also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!