Rent ECV in parks

Melodious

DIS Veteran
We've never used an ECV before but we decided last November that my mom really needs one to make it all around Disney World. We are thinking just to rent them in the parks as she can still walk and she's nervous about getting the ECV on buses, problems using Lyft, etc. Just looking for some tips. I'm assuming with current capacity that the parks will not be running out of ECVs on any day (Sept 12-20). Are the batteries a lot worse than the ones you rent offsite? Where would we recharge it in the parks? Are the ones in the parks particularly unwieldy? She's not planning to take it into queues or shops or restaurants (hopefully). We are staying at BLT and planning to walk to MK a couple days. Thanks!

As long as the cart is fully charged when you pick it up, you should not have to recharge the EVC. We have never had to recharge the ones rented from WDW, rented from off-site, or personally owned EVCs while in the parks so I am not much help there. If we had needed, I probably would have looked for a place near one of the bathrooms or a QS location that could charge while we did something nearby.

As for being unwieldy, they are definitely bigger and have a larger turn radius. Make sure before moving into crowded areas to get a handle on how the EVC maneuvers. We have not had someone rent one from WDW directly in about a decade, I remember them being on the slow side.

Another thing you could try is to rent one at MK the first day...let her get used to driving it. Then you can see if her walking to/from the hotel to the entrance to MK is doable for her everyday. You can always order one from off-site if she needs to use it more.

We have not had someone rent one from WDW directly in about a decade, I remember them being on the slow side.

I've been in the car with her and she doesn't need a fast one :rotfl: Though I know it will be frustrating for her to not get around as fast as she's used to. Thanks for the information on the battery life.

Another thing you could try is to rent one at MK the first day...let her get used to driving it. Then you can see if her walking to/from the hotel to the entrance to MK is doable for her everyday. You can always order one from off-site if she needs to use it more.

Yes, the day that we fly in, we are planning to go to Epcot and not do any rides. So we thought we'd rent an ECV and practice. The next morning, we have planned to walk to MK and see how far it is. Of course, it is more expensive to rent one every day at the parks over a week. We're just both concerned about using it on transportation if we rent offsite. And yes, we did think if on day one or two it became clear that she needed it all the time, we would still have time to rent one from offsite.

We've never used an ECV before but we decided last November that my mom really needs one to make it all around Disney World. We are thinking just to rent them in the parks as she can still walk and she's nervous about getting the ECV on buses, problems using Lyft, etc. Just looking for some tips. I'm assuming with current capacity that the parks will not be running out of ECVs on any day (Sept 12-20). Are the batteries a lot worse than the ones you rent offsite? Where would we recharge it in the parks? Are the ones in the parks particularly unwieldy? She's not planning to take it into queues or shops or restaurants (hopefully). We are staying at BLT and planning to walk to MK a couple days. Thanks!
also remember from what I have read no parking lot trams to gate plus at end of day when you are most tried park ECVs can not go past the gate. you walk and that walk to BLT can seem long then. the park ones are harder to turn in crowds and narrow spaces. if mom is like me if you get stopped for a cleaning cycle while in a line she is going too want her ECV to sit. only problem with not taking in queues if she does need no way to go back and get without all getting out of line and starting all over. I find the queues harder than the walking around the park at my slow pace. if you have time before you head to Disney have her try driving one at a store in your area to see how she does

Also I would have her practice locally...if you go to your local supermarket/Costco/Walmart they will have scooters to use and practice on.

On another thread, someone had mentioned a friend/mother/coworker(?) using a walker to the park and then using a disney EVC. They were told disney would hold onto the walker during the day.

Would your mother consider using a rollator coming and going to the parks. My DH found the standing still while waiting for a bus the worst. So having a spot to sit would be great. And even though she may be riding most of the day, that 1/2 mile from park to bus to room, seems like 5 miles.

My DH has the same fears as your mom with the buses. We are loosely thinking for our trip in 8 months. we hope to stay to BLT and BWV. So we would rent from off site for the week, only go to parks close to resort without busing and for one day at AK, rent from disney.

Last edited:
Also I would have her practice locally...if you go to your local supermarket/Costco/Walmart they will have scooters to use and practice on.

Yes, I told her this months ago. You can lead a horse to water...but I can't make her from 500 miles away.

We have discussed the amount of walking that she still intends to do if she leaves the ECV in the park. It's just very difficult to know how she will fare. In November, she did walk everywhere for a two week trip, but she was uncomfortable. But I have also been reading some reports here on the disboards of people kinda being stranded by Disney transportation and we will be there after Disney shortens the hours at the parks. I have read reports of people needing to use a Lyft to get back to their resort after dinner at another resort but rideshare won't be an option if we have an ECV.

also remember from what I have read no parking lot trams to gate plus at end of day when you are most tried park ECVs can not go past the gate. you walk and that walk to BLT can seem long then. the park ones are harder to turn in crowds and narrow spaces. if mom is like me if you get stopped for a cleaning cycle while in a line she is going too want her ECV to sit. only problem with not taking in queues if she does need no way to go back and get without all getting out of line and starting all over. I find the queues harder than the walking around the park at my slow pace
Yes, I told her this months ago. You can lead a horse to water...but I can't make her from 500 miles away.

We have discussed the amount of walking that she still intends to do if she leaves the ECV in the park. It's just very difficult to know how she will fare. In November, she did walk everywhere for a two week trip, but she was uncomfortable. But I have also been reading some reports here on the disboards of people kinda being stranded by Disney transportation and we will be there after Disney shortens the hours at the parks. I have read reports of people needing to use a Lyft to get back to their resort after dinner at another resort but rideshare won't be an option if we have an ECV.
there are some ECVs that break down and go in the trunk that can be rented offsite

Check prices for outside vendors. The walk to and from MK is 5-10 minutes walk with no benches. You will also cross one road with a crosswalk and timer. It gives you 20 seconds to safely cross road.

we were there from the 18th til Saturday and rented a scooter. For 12 days, the total cost was $225 and change, including tax and insurance. $179 plus tax for a week and $10 each additional day. (Gold Mobilit y).

don't worry about Disney transportation, the drivers will assist you. The buses, ferryboats, monorail and skyliner are scooter friendly.

if you need something for offsite, they rent scooters that for in a trunk. Also Meats Transportation (rack cab) have accessible cabs that will take a scooter without breaking it down. (Mears number is 407-422-2222). You would want to call early as they only have so many of them.

As far as getting the ECV on and off buses, elevators, etc, could you offer to do those things for her? I remember once meeting a family where Mom was so afraid of those things, her son drove the ECV onto an elevator for her. I've rented ECVs both from off-site and the big ones in the park. Using the big ones is the only time at WDW when my ECV felt too big to navigate around turns in line and I crashed into posts (fortunately they were moveable, so there was no damage). I've never had that problem with the off-site ones, at least the 3 wheeled ones.

As far as getting the ECV on and off buses, elevators, etc, could you offer to do those things for her? I remember once meeting a family where Mom was so afraid of those things, her son drove the ECV onto an elevator for her. I've rented ECVs both from off-site and the big ones in the park. Using the big ones is the only time at WDW when my ECV felt too big to navigate around turns in line and I crashed into posts (fortunately they were moveable, so there was no damage). I've never had that problem with the off-site ones, at least the 3 wheeled ones.

Thank you for this information about the difficulty maneuvering it. We are worried about that since she is not experienced driving it. I have offered to 'park' it for her, but she swears that she doesn't need it all the time. She thinks it will be a hassle having it at the resort and buses. She can walk for a couple miles, just not the ten miles that you walk at Disney, particularly day after day.

Thank you for this information about the difficulty maneuvering it. We are worried about that since she is not experienced driving it. I have offered to 'park' it for her, but she swears that she doesn't need it all the time. She thinks it will be a hassle having it at the resort and buses. She can walk for a couple miles, just not the ten miles that you walk at Disney, particularly day after day.
remind her about the walk at the ends of day out to your transportation. last I have read there are no trams in the parking lots at the parks and it can be quite a hike to your bus. park ECV can not go past the gate even if she has not walked the whole time in the park. there are very few if any benches to rest at on way out to transportation. it can also be a hike to your room at resort after a long day at the park. I hated driving the huge park ECVs as they were hard to drive around people and turning seemed way off to me, much harder than I expected

You are so sweet, kind and supportive... I wish she could see that the trip she is potentially ruining is yours, not hers! I'm hoping that a day or two of walking will help her to see that an ECV is a tool and not a failure... too many people look at it that way. With your help, she really can rediscover a whole new kind of freedom and enjoyment, released from the pain! She is blessed to have you :)

Here are top 7 Reasons that people think they shouldn't get an ECV when they should.

I can't drive one. Go to your local Costco/Walmart/Target or other large store. They probably have an electric cart type thing that you could use while shopping. Try it out. I bet you can drive it.

People might think I don't really need it because I can walk. Are these people going to share the pain with you at the end of the day? Do you care what they think? Save your walking energy between rides and use it for lines or getting on the rides. Enjoy your family and your vacation.

It will slow my family down. No, actually it will speed your family up. No more rests because mom is tired. No more going back to the hotel because grandpa is in pain. No more cranky mommy because she tried to walk miles and miles in Disney instead of renting an ECV. You are completely mobile on your own (nobody pushing you in a wheelchair). What's the slow down here?

It's expensive. Um, how much are you spending on this vacation? Don't you want to enjoy it? If money is that tight, take a day off of your trip and spend that money on the ECV so you can enjoy it!

I don't want my kids/family to think I am disabled. You are either temporarily or permanently disabled in some way if you are even asking about this issue...once again, why not make it a better vacation by saving yourself from pain? Nobody is saying you have to confine yourself to a wheelchair permanently or you should not stop trying to get better. If somebody told you to go walk 4 miles, you would think they are crazy. But you are paying for the privilege when you go to Disney to do just that...why not use an ECV to make your family's vacation better?

I don't want to admit to myself that I am disabled to the point I need an ECV (temporarily or permanently). This is probably the hardest one to overcome and everyone has to overcome this one in their own way.

I don't need an ECV in my daily life, why should I need one at WDW? Remember that on average people walk 6+ miles a day at WDW, while in your daily life you are probably lucky to hit 3 miles a day and you are doing this day after day, so it adds up more than you may think and that is in addition to all of the standing in lines, getting in and out of ride vehicles, buses, monorails, etc., it all adds up, so while you may not need it in your day to day life, you might need it at WDW.

I definitely don't like doing a scooter on and off the buses. If your mom can't handle the walking in and out of the parks and the resort walking and the standing and waiting for the buses then get an offsite scooter and do the bus part for her. You'll know the first day. Pay attention to her slowing down or limping or getting tired enough where she could fall. I prefer struggling with the scooter on and off the bus to have it all the time. I last longer having the scooter with me all the time. Ride queues are not so bad with a scooter but there are a lot of turns.

Park scooters are designed to last all day. There's a battery level display on the scooter that tells you how much of a battery charge you have left. If you get too low for whatever reasons you can get another scooter. It will take time to do an exchange if necessary. Keep in mind you should shut the scooter off when watching a show attraction like the Hall of Presidents in MK to conserve the battery power. If you are going to park the scooter a lot for rides and such make sure you take your scooter key and any valuables that you may be storing in the scooter basket with you.

Someone should lead your mom around. She needs to follow a lead. Make sure you slow down or stop for those who may cross your path; your mom may have issues stopping quickly. Don't make too many maneuvers with the scooter and try to do a straight path going everywhere

Last edited:
We had a one day park hopper ticket as part of a Disney cruise out of New York last November. We rented a scooter for my wife. The catch when park hopping is you have to turn it in for a voucher and pick up a new one at the next park. When we went to the next park the only available scooter was very low on charge. We almost abandoned the scooter in Epcot because it was moving so slow, but wanted to be able to get the voucher for the next park. We didn't even bother getting one at the third park and ran out of time and physical energy before even trying to make the fourth park.

As mentioned earlier, turn off the ignition (key out) when you are not planning to move to save battery power. Another tip is when moving in crowds, use one hand on the speed knob to control your speed. The throttle lever is only on or off.

Hi,
WDW only ECV user here. I rent from off-site companies there for fear of not getting a rental in the parks. (We are NOT rope drop people! Lol!) No shame in renting an ECV. It makes my DH's vacation a vacation for him. I use the ECV to get around the parks and to get to and from our room and the busses. I park the ECV most of the time when going into a line. I use my cane, that has a seat on it, while in line. ( You can find them on line just pay attention to the weight limits. I heard a rumor that seat canes are not allowed but have never had an issue.) My husband usually gets my ECV onto and off of the busses. If I am by myself, I ask the bus driver if they would be so kind since I am afraid to do it. Haven't had a refusal yet.
I was reluctant to rent an ECV at first since my pride was at stake. I got over that by renting the first time. Never looked back. Good luck to you and your mom. Sometimes it takes multiple nudges and blunt demands from our loved ones to help us see our own stubborness. Wishing you a wonderful visit with your mom!

Our first ECV rental was for my mom, and she was 89 at the time. Never drove one before but she took to it right away! We rented off site, it was reasonable and dependable, and we loaded into the car each day. Mom could walk and wanted to stretch her legs and we assured her she could do whatever felt right at any given time. Someone else would act as the ECV valet whenever she was hesitant about tight maneuvers or she wanted to meander through shops

She lacked confidence at night in big crowds, such as closing time. Sometimes she would walk while her ECV valet took the scooter through the crowds, but if she was tired, she’d stay seated, we would slip the scooter in neutral and just push it along. It was a godsend for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter