Rental Car Mess

Mcterry

Earning My Ears
So, we are arriving into HNL at 11:42PM and no rental car places are open. I took everyone’s advice and booked a hotel near the airport for that first night, however, when I called and talked to Aulani about cancelling my first night, I lose some of my discount and end up paying $115 less for the trip but I am paying more than that at the airport hotel! So, next question, are there limo companies or places that will take us to Aulani at midnight? We are a group of 6, we know we want to do Pearl Harbor and probably a few other things, could we get by without a rental car? Are we going to spend way more on transfers? Thanks for any advice!

Aulani is only about 30 minutes from the airport. I wouldn’t stay at an “airport” hotel near HNL; the only one kind of close is a crappy hotel. I’d just take a taxi to Aulani upon arrival. I’d see about getting a car later for a few days depending on how long you’re staying, but with 6 of you I’d get a minivan so maybe just a day or two. Our rental car for October (just a midsize) has gone from $50/day which we’re paying to $100/day now (we got it for the whole 2 weeks, as I like to have a car the whole time). We own at the Marriott Ko Olina so that’s where we’re staying.

I'm not sure when you're going, but keep an eye out to see if the satellite rental car offices in Ko Olina re-open before your trip. Alamo is at Aulani and Enterprise is at the Marriott, though both have been closed due to Covid. I would guess that as things return more towards normal, the number of tourists increases, and with the current rental car demand, they may end up re-opening this year.

I agree with PP that I would just stay at Aulani for the duration. I'm certain you could find a private car service you could hire, or UberXL is another viable option. Someone could always Uber to a rental car office (or find one that will pick you up) the next day to get the rental car. IMO, a rental car is a must not just for cost savings but also for flexibility, giving you the opportunity to make unplanned stops, go off site for meals, avoid traffic and rush hour, etc etc.

Agreeing with the PP's on several points.
The hotel near HNL airport is not great. Even for just one night.

Getting from HNL to Aulani at midnight should be a problem at all. Even if you don't use a car service. Charlie Taxi will have cabs there and they offer a flat-rate to Aulani. At that time of night you'll have no issues with traffic so it will be a quick trip.

I'd also agree that renting a car for a day at Aulani is a good solution for getting to Pearl Harbor or other spots around the island.

There are taxi's, Uber/Lyft, and private shuttles that you can book to get to Aulani late at night. Hawaii has so many international and oddly-timed flights that they're used to late night transfers. When looking for prices, search the Ko Olina resort area.

We just did a rental less trip, we used Hawaii 23. Not the best vehicle but great driver and communication. HNL to Waikiki was $23, Waikiki to Aulani was $78 and Aulani to HNL was $58. Plus tips. They will also do tours for $58 an hour

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter