Renting a Car from Alamo to Drive to the Port

I have a similar plan upcoming. Please someone jump in and let me know if this is a bad idea for a January departure from Port Canaveral.

1) Land at MCO on Thursday evening, pick up rental car at National (One Day Rental), and drive out to Cocoa Beach to spend the night (probably at the Four Points).
2) Get up in the morning, walk out to the beach, grab leisurely breakfast.
3) Drop DW and DD off at Terminal and drop car off at National location on Mullet Drive.
4) Take shuttle back to Terminal.

Upon Return:
5) Jump on National shuttle to rental counter.
6) Pick up car and return to Terminal to pick up family and luggage.
7) Drive to WDW for the Week!!! (Weekly Rental)
8) Return car to National at MCO.

The one day rental will be essentially free. (Just the taxes and the parking fee in Cocoa Beach for the night.)
The weekly rental is a given anyway as we'll be staying at BWV and we always like having a car for groceries and exploring off-site.

Any glitches with this plan?

We did this plan (but with Budget). It worked great. The only difference I might suggest to you is hotel location. You say that you are coming in Thursday evening. What time? Our plane landed at about 7:30 PM and by the time we got off, got the luggage and the car, (even though we did the car and luggage simultaneously) it was close to 9 PM when we got out of the airport. All we wanted to do was eat something and go to sleep, not drive an hour to Cocoa Beach. Fortunately, we had booked a room at one of the many hotels near the airport. They are often cheaper and very close to the airport with free WiFi and free breakfast. Then we still had plenty of time to stop at a grocery store/liquor store in the morning before driving in the daylight to the port area. So depending on what time you plan to arrive at the airport, you might want to consider a hotel near the airport as an option.

Enjoy!

We did this plan (but with Budget). It worked great. The only difference I might suggest to you is hotel location. You say that you are coming in Thursday evening. What time? Our plane landed at about 7:30 PM and by the time we got off, got the luggage and the car, (even though we did the car and luggage simultaneously) it was close to 9 PM when we got out of the airport. All we wanted to do was eat something and go to sleep, not drive an hour to Cocoa Beach. Fortunately, we had booked a room at one of the many hotels near the airport. They are often cheaper and very close to the airport with free WiFi and free breakfast. Then we still had plenty of time to stop at a grocery store/liquor store in the morning before driving in the daylight to the port area. So depending on what time you plan to arrive at the airport, you might want to consider a hotel near the airport as an option.

Enjoy!
We are planning on staying near the airport when we land next month. Can you suggest a grocery/liquor store on the way to the port?

If we rent a car from Alamo (at the Dolphin) to drive to the location by the port will they shuttle you to the port? And to rent a car to drive and drop off at MCO will Alamo pick you up from the port?

As far as Port Canaveral to MCO...I just did this 2 days ago. It was the most smooth process...and I was worried. Alamo has a bus shuttle that will pick you up at the port and deliver you to their facility 5 minutes away. The drive to the airport is easy and the rental car return was super easy at MCO. You can check your bags at Alamo and they will check it through to your final destination (on certain airlines...we flew Southwest). You can walk from the Alamo return, through a tunnel and be in the airport. I wish I would've known how easy this was going to be. I hope you have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!