Renting out Riviera points...

ADisneyHan

Earning My Ears
I’ve heard about the restrictions regarding buying Riviera points directly through Disney and reselling them later. Anyone who buys the resale points can only use the points at the Riveira resort and no where else.

Has anyone heard if this restriction applies to if you own at the Riviera and want to rent out your points to someone? Or has Disney mentioned any other restrictions with renting out your points from the Riviera?

You are free to rent your Riviera points, either by using them to make a reservation that you rent to someone or by transferring them to another member (if the point are not already banked or borrowed). There are no special restrictions for Riviera owners regarding renting that do not also apply to all other DVC resort members.

There is zero ability for Disney to do anything about renting. There is no way of them knowing if its your neighbor, cousin, or friend that is the one on the reservation.

The same limitations apply if you rent. If you purchased new from Disney, you can rent to another and make a reservation for that other at 11 months out at Riviera, or reserve any other DVC resort (subject to availability) at 7 months out. If you purchased Riviera resale, you can rent at Riviera beginning 11-months out but you have no ability to rent at other DVC resorts at 7-months out.

And just to clarify what is meant by renting. Though members refer to it as renting points, you do not actually just rent points. You can rent by using your points to make a reservation in someone else's name; in that situation, you actually retain control of the reservation until the date of arrival and thus the one to whom you are renting needs to go through you to make any changes or additions. Instead, if the renter is another member, you can do a rental by entering into an agreement to transfer points to the renter. Once transferred, the transaction is irreversible and you lose all control of the points and the recipient has complete control and can make his own reservation using the points. However, the restrictions follow the transfer, i.e., the transfer recipient can use the transferred points only at Riviera if you purchased resale. You can do a transfer, either in or out, only once per use year.

Last edited:
If I'm a post-Jan 2019 resale owner who is usually prevented from booking at Riviera, does anyone know if I can receive transferred Riviera points from another member and book Riviera with those points? Would love to do that vs. renting so I can control the reservation

If I'm a post-Jan 2019 resale owner who is usually prevented from booking at Riviera, does anyone know if I can receive transferred Riviera points from another member and book Riviera with those points? Would love to do that vs. renting so I can control the reservation

We believe that you can, but so far, no one has been able to put it to the test.

Since transferred points retain their home resort and UY, you most definitely should be able to book Riviera with them. It’s the same process that some owners use to book VGC or another resort where they need 11 month booking rights - get a transfer of points from the resort they want to book. There’s no reason Riviera points should be any different.

Yes, this is possible! I have done it. Unfortunately if you do not have a membership that allows you to book Riviera, it won’t show up for you in order to check availability. Meaning that even now that transferred points show up online, you still can’t book Riviera without calling in because you can’t search it on the booking tool.

Yes, this is possible! I have done it. Unfortunately if you do not have a membership that allows you to book Riviera, it won’t show up for you in order to check availability. Meaning that even now that transferred points show up online, you still can’t book Riviera without calling in because you can’t search it on the booking tool.

Thanks for sharing how it works! At least we have confirmation. The only drawback is you lose the extra hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter