Requesting a different room location

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Once you arrive at the resort and have your room number, are you allowed to request a different one if you want, like you can with the resorts? Or is it set in stone?

Once you arrive at the resort and have your room number, are you allowed to request a different one if you want, like you can with the resorts? Or is it set in stone?
If you’ve entered the room, you’ll be charged a cleaning fee in order to move.

Are you allowed to ask? Yes.
Are you likely you have your request be honored? Unless there is some big issue like a toilet not working, no.

Plus the villa are usually close to 100% occupied. There might not be another location to put you.

I’ve been moved before when I was assigned a lake-view room at BLT that was on the second floor, in the corner by the walkway to the Contemporary. I didn’t think it qualified as a lake-view, and they were able to move me.

The thing about owning a timeshare is you accept certain compromises up front. The best way to avoid issues is to make good but reasonable requests up front. Trying to micromanage for the perfect room is a good way to drive yourself and the resort staff crazy. You can't change view types to get upgraded and you may get a HA room. The other way to minimize the risk of a bad outcome is to not arrive late in the day.

I've successfully switched rooms (before going into the room) once at BCV when my request for a high quiet floor (i.e., not facing the pool) landed me the first first floor room behind the elevators. I think the factor that allowed the switch to happen was that I was texted the room assignment when I was on DME at 8:30am. As soon as I got to the hotel, I went to the front desk to ask about a change. I got my new room assignment by text around 3pm. Had I got the room assignment at 4pm ot 5pm, it's unlikely I would have been able to change it.

I always request high floor and was given ground at VGF for lake view in August. I was waffling about asking to move, but they moved us without question and waived the cleaning fee after the first night when the landscapers came in the late afternoon and laid fertilizer directly in front of our room.

If you’ve entered the room, you’ll be charged a cleaning fee in order to move.

We have a few favorite rooms and we have moved from our original room probably 15-20 times to get one of these rooms. Never been charged a fee. We ask at the front desk when room ---- will become free and we move when it frees up.

It never hurts to ask
I'm not sure I agree completely. I would generally agree for hotels and cash reservations but not for timeshares in every instance. I've seen too many meltdowns at the front desk and online rants to take the "it never hurts to ask" as 100% reasonable. I'd say it depends on when one is asking, how one is asking and the situation. If one is asking prior to heading to the room and not asking for something more than paid for, I'd agree. If it's a HC room or poor view and once hasn't entered the room, I agree, esp if one is willing to pay the room change fee. After that, not being willing to pay the change fee or asking more strongly, I would not necessarily agree.

I'm not sure I agree completely. I would generally agree for hotels and cash reservations but not for timeshares in every instance. I've seen too many meltdowns at the front desk and online rants to take the "it never hurts to ask" as 100% reasonable. I'd say it depends on when one is asking, how one is asking and the situation. If one is asking prior to heading to the room and not asking for something more than paid for, I'd agree. If it's a HC room or poor view and once hasn't entered the room, I agree, esp if one is willing to pay the room change fee. After that, not being willing to pay the change fee or asking more strongly, I would not necessarily agree.
Well I can assure you that my mother raised me better than those people who have meltdowns and act like that. I would never.

You can practically call the desk tantrums at the Poly "free entertainment." Both DVC and non.

They were apparently EPIC at the Boardwalk before Boardwalk View became a category. And even now, you can get EPIC meltdowns over people who don't understand what they booked. Or who want the Village Green or one of the corner one bedrooms. I sometimes wonder if Disney CMs get points for every time they hear "do you know how much I paid!"

They were apparently EPIC at the Boardwalk before Boardwalk View became a category. And even now, you can get EPIC meltdowns over people who don't understand what they booked. Or who want the Village Green or one of the corner one bedrooms. I sometimes wonder if Disney CMs get points for every time they hear "do you know how much I paid!"

Or, "I'm a DVC member, you can't do this to me!"

We have an internal melt down when the BWV gives us a boardwalk view room on the village green. :sad:

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter