Resale contracts and resort discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

c88951

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if anyone could share experiences with DVC member discounts at resort stores and restaurants. I am on my first vacation after purchasing an AK resale contract and during the vacation I am constantly asked if I am a DVC member for the sake of discounts. I have been answering no, since I don't have a direct "blue card" membership from Disney. A worker at AK asked "you are not a DVC member" but staying here right now? I guess most people at AK this week are DVC members. I explained I didn't buy from Disney but then she asked "Do you have a member number" and I said yes. She proceeded to give me a discount. and said I just need a member ID.

The next day I took the family to Rivera for breakfast and paid with my Magic Band. When I got the bill, my server told me that she included my DVC discount. She never asked if I was a member and I never offered the information. I assume my Magic Band says I am a DVC member? Maybe they are being more relaxed with these restrictions right now?

My two questions for any resale contract holder wiling to share are:

1. How do you answer the question "are you a DVC member" at resort stores and restaurants.
2. If you answer yes I am a member, do you always get discounts or just some of the time?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their experiences with this.

Whoa!!! This will really annoy the direct purchasers.... there isn’t many blue card benefits left atm

My personal opinion is that this is some kind of oversight right now but just curious to hear from other resale contract holders to see if this is normal.

I am an old school, grandfathered in, blue card carrying resale owner.

I think it would be correct to say that you are a DVC member/owner.

If they ask for a blue card, then you are not that kind of DVC member/owner.

Cast member training is all over the place. I would agree with Ruttangel that newer resale members should not expect discounts - cast members are usually supposed to ask to see the member card (but we have some bigger issues at the moment...)

Thanks for the feedback and I was able to confirm exactly what you just explained. I had a conversation with a cast member at the California Grill a few days after this post and they confirmed how the discounts work. I think this was a rare circumstance during these crazy times and I certainly wasn't trying to get over on anyone. I was very surprised when a few people insisted I did get the discounts. Thanks again for the feedback, this was the first time I used my contract since purchasing it over a year ago and still kind of learning as I go.

There are like six classes of DVC member now. If you aren’t RIV resale, you aren’t the bottom!

It actually shows up on your magic band that you are DVC, but not your particular flavor of DVC.

technically, you don’t qualify. You can see the discounts over at mouseperks. But, yea, I have gotten the discount more than a couple times. If Disney cared enough to train staff on all the flavors of DVC, they could have. You ARE a DVC member.

Heck, I've showed the CM my "white card" and still got a discount.

As mentioned, those without a qualifying membership are not eligible for discounts.

What happens with a CM is up to them. With that, I’m locking the thread so we do not debate. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter