Resale Process - Finding the right contract

DonaldDuck21

Mouseketeer
I am just starting the process of searching for a resale contract, 50 - 100 points, Feb use year. Would love the Boardwalk but I know that is very unlikely. For people that bought resale, how long did it take to find a contract that you would even make an offer on.

I feel like if I am not constantly looking at listings at the various sites I won't even have a chance at a small contract.

Just seems like this process will take awhile and I don't have the most patience.

There was another thread calling a 50 point Feb Use Year contract at BWV a "unicorn" because it is so unusual to see one on the resale market. It's not even a question of whether the price feels right to you; it's hard to find them at all.

We just put in an offer and got excepted for March at BWV? They are out there for Feb. I have seen them in my search. That is what you have to do is search. Might take some time, but it will show up :) Good Luck!

Took us about 2 months (had 2 bids which we didn't get; 3rd time bidding on a contract was the charm) Good Luck (and yes I too realized I had to constantly look at the listings!)

Couple of weeks, i made a chart of 5-6 different sites and the listings. We wanted WL-BR, which might have made it easier, not as many of those, and wanted about 200 points. Saw large variation in prices. You need to factor in if the contracts are stripped (no points until 2019, sometimes not even those coming), what I called "normal"(2018 points coming or banked), or Loaded (with 2017 points and all 2018 points). I was ok with stripped, I thought, until I saw a loaded one with all 2017 points and got for $95. (listed at $100). Huge bonus to get 200 points from 2017, the dues were already paid by the seller. At least I thought so.... It did pass ROFR, waiting to close now.

It was a project for sure. Do not rely on emails and push notifications to get you there, it also takes lots of checking in between. We did miss one by hesitating and being too late, but the one we ended up with is better so no worries about that.

There was another thread calling a 50 point Feb Use Year contract at BWV a "unicorn" because it is so unusual to see one on the resale market. It's not even a question of whether the price feels right to you; it's hard to find them at all.

And then I think someone posted within a day or two that a 50 pt Feb UY showed up in a listing! lol

smaller point contracts (<100 points) get sold very quickly...so your best bet is to sign up for all of the email blasts from the various brokers and also like them on FB and twitter.

Since you're specifically looking at BWV -- keep in mind that standard view rooms can be VERY difficult to get even with home resort advantage. They are literally booked minutes after 8 am EST -- so make sure you get enough points for the garden view rooms. If you only get enough points for standard view -- you are likely going to be disappointed or very frustrated.

I was in the process of buying my first resale contract at VGC when I decided I'd like to purchase a smaller contract at WDW as well. I finally settled on a plan to buy a 50 point direct contract at BLT after my VGC contract closed. When DVC announced the new 75 point minimum for perks, I thought I was stuck buying that direct, when lo and behold I saw a 100 point BLT resale contract in my Sep UY for about the same price as 75 points direct. I put in an offer and ended up paying about $1200 less than I would have for 75 direct.

Since I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I then decided I was going to start looking for a 100 point Aulani subsidized contract. I was prepared for a long wait. By dumb luck, what did I see the next morning while eating breakfast? (It was a different UY however.) I almost literally hung up on my girlfriend and called the broker to make a full offer. I'm glad I did.

These things are random, so hang in there, it will work out! One other thing to consider is that since smaller contracts tend to be rarer, you may want to ask yourself how badly you really need that Feb UY. If you can open up your options on UY, you'll have a much easier time. Good luck!

Thanks all for your responses. I am open to other resorts too. i do enjoy staying at BW and BC but then my finance mind comes into play and I know Saratoga make the most economical sense. We own at BL and we hardly stay there so the home resort I guess is not a priority. Just wondering if I don't buy BW if I will regret it.

....(snip).......Just wondering if I don't buy BW if I will regret it.
Probably! If DVC makes sense for you (and it doesn't for everyone), don't forget about the emotional component of vacations. The good feeling you will have after closing on a "good deal" will fade very quickly when you find that you can't get BWV when you want to be there. Read some of the availability threads and see how hard it is to get a standard view studio - and how hard it is to get any studio at the BWV during the time between late September and Marathon weekend.

If your heart is set on staying at BWV most of the time, then buy there. Those dollars "saved" now will not seem at all important if you are at SSR wishing you were at BWV.

drusba's 11 month availability summary

drusba's 7 month availability summary

Good luck with your research!

We found our resale contract rather quickly, but we had decided early on that we were firm on resort and price but that we were flexible on number of points and UY, so that opened up more options for us. We knew that we would always regret not purchasing BCV if we decided to go with a less expensive option.

Probably! If DVC makes sense for you (and it doesn't for everyone), don't forget about the emotional component of vacations. The good feeling you will have after closing on a "good deal" will fade very quickly when you find that you can't get BWV when you want to be there. Read some of the availability threads and see how hard it is to get a standard view studio - and how hard it is to get any studio at the BWV during the time between late September and Marathon weekend.

If your heart is set on staying at BWV most of the time, then buy there. Those dollars "saved" now will not seem at all important if you are at SSR wishing you were at BWV.

drusba's 11 month availability summary

drusba's 7 month availability summary

Good luck with your research!
I Agee with this 100%! If you want BWV then just wait. I’d also suggest being as flexible as possible in regard to UY and number of points. Unfortunately, you do need to watch many different sites often to get the right contract. Especially smaller ones. You’ll find it if you really look. Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter