Reshuffle points used for a reservation at 7months?

jnsma

Mouseketeer
I have a membership with 2 contracts at resorts (same UY obviously). Both contracts have banked 2019 points as well as plenty of 2020 points. Using the 11month window at one of my resorts, I've made a reservation that used up all the 2019 banked points and some of the 2020 points on that contract. When we get inside the 7month window, can I call MS and have them reshuffle how the points were taken and use the banked 2019 points from my second contract instead of using the 2020 points?

Given the uncertainty and other commitments, I'm not sure we will be taking another WDW trip to use all my current banked points and I don't mind banking as many 2020 points as possible for a bigger (Aulani) trip in 2021.

There is currently no availability for the dates, room type and resort (Feb/BW/GV) that I have reserved, so I don't think it would not be as simple as canceling and rebooking as I may lose it to someone who has it on the waitlist.

Thanks in advance!

You can switch points at 7-months out in a reservation made at 11-months out only with points from the same home resort as those in the 11-month reservation. For DVC to allow otherwise would allow members to circumvent the 11/7 month reservation rules, e.g., a member would be able to buy two contracts, one expensive one at VGF and one cheap one at SSR, reserve a room at 11-months out at VGF and then replace all those points in the reservation with SSR points at 7-months out, thus giving them a second use of all those VGF points for another 11-month out reservation.

Last edited:
I have a somewhat similar question, although it is for a reservation that was made within the 7 month window. I have two contracts - BCV (Aug UY) and BLT (Dec UY). I already had a May reservation at BLT, and when the closure first started I booked a backup week in Sep (also at BLT), but I had to use my BCV points because my BLT points were still tied up with the May reservation, which obviously ended up not happening. Would I have any chance of having MS swap out those points to use my 2019 BLT points instead of my 2020 BCV points? I would really like to get those precious BCV points back for a future BCV trip!

^Your points are from two different use years and thus you cannot just take Aug UY points out the Sep reservation and replace them with Dec UY BLT points (you could do that online via a modification if they were in the same use year). The only way you can swap points is to first transfer those BLT Dec UY points to your Aug UY, after which you could call MS and have it switch the points for that Sep reservation.

I have a membership with 2 contracts at resorts (same UY obviously). Both contracts have banked 2019 points as well as plenty of 2020 points. Using the 11month window at one of my resorts, I've made a reservation that used up all the 2019 banked points and some of the 2020 points on that contract. When we get inside the 7month window, can I call MS and have them reshuffle how the points were taken and use the banked 2019 points from my second contract instead of using the 2020 points?

Given the uncertainty and other commitments, I'm not sure we will be taking another WDW trip to use all my current banked points and I don't mind banking as many 2020 points as possible for a bigger (Aulani) trip in 2021.

There is currently no availability for the dates, room type and resort (Feb/BW/GV) that I have reserved, so I don't think it would not be as simple as canceling and rebooking as I may lose it to someone who has it on the waitlist.

Thanks in advance!

did you book a grand villa? Because the entire month of February for every level except the grand villa is available at the garden pool view at Bwv for February. I’m often in that situation and waiting for the 7 month window is painful. I have 3 homes and 300 banked points to use. I have part of my reservation done and now have to wait for the 7 month opens to continue. At the 7 month window I will try to grab a few days at the beginning and end of a reservation with my banked points drop them from my current reservation then get MS to combine all the days Into one reservation. It’s a lot of work, but normally I book earlier and have a plan. I didn’t plan to have 300 banked points to use. Good luck.

No, just a one bedroom - our nephew and his wife were joining us for part of it. They are (understandably) still try to decide if they still want to come or wait until things have settled down. We did warn them that they might be waiting for awhile!

Drusba, thanks for the info about the points transfer - is there any risk at all doing that? Like, somehow losing the reservation while MS is in the process of making the switch?

For DVC to allow otherwise would allow members to circumvent the 11/7 month reservation rules,

Yeah, that's what I kind of figured. It would be a loophole that everyone would try to exploit. Thanks for the confirmation.

did you book a grand villa? Because the entire month of February for every level except the grand villa

Yes, a grand villa. We were planning a longer Aulani stay for this summer using all the 2019 points and some borrowed 2020 points. Decided to cancel that and push all the points back to 2020. Going to splurge with some extended family in the grand villa, not the same but can't complain too much.

No, just a one bedroom - our nephew and his wife were joining us for part of it. They are (understandably) still try to decide if they still want to come or wait until things have settled down. We did warn them that they might be waiting for awhile!

Drusba, thanks for the info about the points transfer - is there any risk at all doing that? Like, somehow losing the reservation while MS is in the process of making the switch?

As to any change that involves contacting MS and has more than one step to it, there is always some risk that MS will screw it up and you could lose the reservation entirely.. The way to proceed is to make sure MS will do it as desired by calling MS and explain exactly what you want to do first: have MS transfer the BLT points to the BCV use year, then merely modify (not cancel) the existing reservation by putting in the BLT points and taking out the BCV points. Get agreement that can be done, and make sure it is understood that It will done that way.

I have a somewhat similar question, although it is for a reservation that was made within the 7 month window. I have two contracts - BCV (Aug UY) and BLT (Dec UY). I already had a May reservation at BLT, and when the closure first started I booked a backup week in Sep (also at BLT), but I had to use my BCV points because my BLT points were still tied up with the May reservation, which obviously ended up not happening. Would I have any chance of having MS swap out those points to use my 2019 BLT points instead of my 2020 BCV points? I would really like to get those precious BCV points back for a future BCV trip!

As long as there is availability for your September stay at BCV, you can use your 2019 BLT points to book those same dates, and cancel your original BCV reservation. This is effectively a swap. Your 2019 BLT Dec UY points should be good for a BCV reservation this September.

Back to the original points swapping question - Disney rules does not allow "swapping of points" to circumvent the 11/7 home resort priority. However, if there is availability at 7 months out, you can certainly use your non home resort points to book. So you use home resort priority at 11 months out to book the dates you really want. Then at 7 months out you check current availability. If there is full availability, you cancel the home resort points reservation and rebook with non home resort points. If there is partial availability, you can do a "split stay" at the same resort - cancel the nights made with home resort points that have current availability, and rebook only those nights with non home resort points. You may have to move since it's technically two reservations. Have them put a note to join the reservations and sometimes they can accommodate in the same room. If not, tell their bell desk to move your luggage for you to the new room while you were out for the day.

When modifying a reservation, why is it I get a padlock icon next to the contract I originally booked with when it was booked at 7 months? The system doesn’t always allow me to change the points allocations between different contracts.

When modifying a reservation, why is it I get a padlock icon next to the contract I originally booked with when it was booked at 7 months? The system doesn’t always allow me to change the points allocations between different contracts.

Did it start out as an 11 month booking that was modified at 7 months? It happened to me and that was my situation.

I ended up rebooking a new one and then canceling with no issue. Of course, I had points to do it and knew the room was there.

If your 2019 points are banked, you cannot transfer them. If they are borrowed, you cannot transfer them. Once points are transferred, you can bank them, but not borrow them.

Did it start out as an 11 month booking that was modified at 7 months? It happened to me and that was my situation.

I ended up rebooking a new one and then canceling with no issue. Of course, I had points to do it and knew the room was there.
No it was a new reservation at 7 months for BCV using SSR points. I wanted to modify the reservation at around 6 months to use AUL points as they were closer to expiring and the SSR points were bankable. The system locked the contract and would not allow the change. There is some sort of bug there as I have done this for a previous reservation. Another bug is I can never cancel a VGC reservation. The system always errors and I'm forced to contact member services to cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!