Resort Hopping from the Fort

rideswithchrist

DIS Veteran
We still have 18 months until our trip, but we want to plan in a full Fort day and a Resort Hopping day.
Obviously we can't hit all the resorts, but what are some of your favorites? I know we will want to take the monorail to some places

I think we will eat at Artist Point for nostalgia (we honeymooned there 16 years ago), so that is Wilderness Lodge.

Ride the new Skyliner gondolas.

Boat to MK then bus to one of the Skyliner resorts.

Or bus to DHS and pick it up there. And get off when transferring to check out the new Riviera DVC.

I want to get a lunch ADR at Beaches & Cream at Yacht Club, eat, then walk to the Epcot Intl Gateway and pick up the Skyliner there.

Bama Ed

bus to Boardwalk from DS, then walk over to Fantasia for a round of mini golf, it is always our first day activity

We went for a day in Dec. didn't have a lot of time but we took the boat over to the MK, got on the monorail and hit GF to see their decorations. (Decorations were why we went in Dec.). With more time you can hit the Contemporary and the Poly. We then got on the boat to Wilderness Lodge. From there we went back to the Fort.
In May we boated over to the MK and got on the bus to AK lodge. Then back. Rinse and repeat. Travel time will be your biggest enemy. We have found the best way to resort hop, not counting the monorail loop is to grab resort buses from the parks. I guess if you have the option you could drive yourself to whatever resort you wanted to and that would regulate travel time in your favor.

We went for a day in Dec. didn't have a lot of time but we took the boat over to the MK, got on the monorail and hit GF to see their decorations. (Decorations were why we went in Dec.). With more time you can hit the Contemporary and the Poly. We then got on the boat to Wilderness Lodge. From there we went back to the Fort.
In May we boated over to the MK and got on the bus to AK lodge. Then back. Rinse and repeat. Travel time will be your biggest enemy. We have found the best way to resort hop, not counting the monorail loop is to grab resort buses from the parks. I guess if you have the option you could drive yourself to whatever resort you wanted to and that would regulate travel time in your favor.

Good tips! I did not think about having to go to the parks to go to the resorts. Maybe we will drive. Of course, we love the busses and monorails and such anyway so...
Boat to MK-Monorail to HS- bus to AKL, then bus back to Epcot, skyliner to Pop (because we miss it) then bus to MK and boat to Wilderness lodge.

oh man. That looks like a long day. Whew.

I can't remember what Artist Point was before but it is not a Snow White Character meal if you were not aware
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/wilderness-lodge-resort/artist-point/

Yes. I am not sure what to think of that. I think they should have left it alone. BUT we have not had a character meal yet, so we may love it.

Because that is totally our life now haha- we can't go anywhere without kids in tow, so it is fitting that our first married dinner is now a kid's meal place :p

Good tips! I did not think about having to go to the parks to go to the resorts. Maybe we will drive. Of course, we love the busses and monorails and such anyway so...
Boat to MK-Monorail to HS- bus to AKL, then bus back to Epcot, skyliner to Pop (because we miss it) then bus to MK and boat to Wilderness lodge.

oh man. That looks like a long day. Whew.
Not to rain on your trip, but that's a pretty ambitious schedule you're looking at even if you drive yourself. Why not save some for another day/afternoon? Just a suggestion.

Yes. I am not sure what to think of that. I think they should have left it alone. BUT we have not had a character meal yet, so we may love it.

Because that is totally our life now haha- we can't go anywhere without kids in tow, so it is fitting that our first married dinner is now a kid's meal place :p

I have heard it's excellent. We are doing it this July. 11 of us total. Myself, DW, and 10yo DD, along with 2 other families each with kids.. I hear ya about going anywhere without kids :)

Different chunks that can be combined in different ways:
- take advantage of the new pedestrian bridge being built right now between MK and GF. You’ll be able to walk all the way around Seven Seas Lagoon, except for between Contemporary and Poly.
- Wilderness Lodge is sort of a sister resort to the Fort, and the grounds and building are both beautiful. The boat between Contemporary, Fort, and WL is handy.
- Crescent Lake is another nice walk, and gives you access/is easily accessed from the Skyliner
- Animal Kingdom Lodge is always a must-visit, for the animals, lobby, and restaurants.

I figure if the only Resorts we are able to hit this time are AKL and maybe Wilderness Lodge, it is worth it.

My kids are going to be taken to Beaches and Cream and then on the Skyliner to Pop with their Aunt and Uncle, so we don't have to do that with them too, but I do want to walk around the Boardwalk because we never have!

Sounds like a fun day all except the buses. They are not as reliable as they used to be-very inconsistent on wait time. During numerous visits this past year we had way too many wait times that were 45 minutes to one hour long. In fact while we were resort/park hopping there were times when the "bus board" had DASHES instead of arrival times listed. Interestingly enough DW announced that bus service from Gondola resorts are going to be cut back to ONE per HOUR! That's a lot of "fun time" just waiting around for a bus. We always used bus transportation but not any more. They are quickly becoming a huge fail that is not being addressed. The monorails are much more reliable. We can control our comings/goings and maximize DW fun time in a much more relaxed, smile on our faces manner, by driving our own vehicle. Enjoy your "fun day" no matter what manner of transportation works for you. It's all about what makes you happy!

Following this thread! We are going in Sept. 2020 and thought of doing this one day ourselves.
Yes! I hope we get some good ideas here (I mean, of course we will) I'll try and remember what we end up doing. I figure, if we visit 3 resorts, that is a good day hehe.

Sounds like a fun day all except the buses. They are not as reliable as they used to be-very inconsistent on wait time. During numerous visits this past year we had way too many wait times that were 45 minutes to one hour long. In fact while we were resort/park hopping there were times when the "bus board" had DASHES instead of arrival times listed. Interestingly enough DW announced that bus service from Gondola resorts are going to be cut back to ONE per HOUR! That's a lot of "fun time" just waiting around for a bus. We always used bus transportation but not any more. They are quickly becoming a huge fail that is not being addressed. The monorails are much more reliable. We can control our comings/goings and maximize DW fun time in a much more relaxed, smile on our faces manner, by driving our own vehicle. Enjoy your "fun day" no matter what manner of transportation works for you. It's all about what makes you happy!

We had some bus issues last time too. I had forgotten the advice to call when our bus was 30+ minutes late leaving Epcot...I was already upset that we had to walk past the charter busses. I think resorts should come first- even the campsite one.

This would be my recommendation. However I don't know if you are staying on site. If known can give additional suggestions.

Get to the Poly, wonder around, walk to Grand Floridian. Take monorail from GF to Contemporary. Take boat to Fort Wilderness, wonder around, take boat from Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter