resorts and birthdays

wdwtink

Mouseketeer
Do the resorts do anything special for a childs birthday? Any stories out there? Thanks

If you are staying at a deluxe resort in a concierge level room, the concierge can arrange for all sorts of things, provided you're willing to pay. Generally they'll send a complimentary cake regardless.

At value, moderate, home-away-from-home, and deluxe non-concierge it's a mixed bag. Sometimes the child *MIGHT* get a balloon and signed photo of Mickey and Minnie, but not always. You are welcome to visit guest services in any park and get a free "It's my birthday" button for them.

Bottom line, don't count on anything special being done, even if you request it. Consider this--on any given day there could be hundreds of children at a resort celebrating a birthday or other life event. WDW simply can't do something special for all of them.

Anne

We have celebrated my son, daughter and husband's birthdays at the Poly. Each time I requested prior to our arrival a cake and balloons to be delivered. It isn't too expensive and we enjoyed the excitement when we entered our room. We have been staying at the Poly for years now and have gotten wonderful service every time.

we recently stayed at the Wilderness Lodge

It was my sons 6th birthday while we were there. When we returned to our room there was a birthday card with a signed picture of Buzz Lightyear.

Both the card and the picture had my sons name on.

Attached to the card and picture were three helium filled balloons. The picture and card were floating in midair. Great stuff.

From the official WDW website:

- - - - - - -
Q. Is there anything special I can plan for a birthday or special occasion?

A. A variety of activities are available at our Resort to help make birthdays more special and memorable. For instance, your family may wish to dine with the Disney characters at one of our many character breakfasts, lunches, or dinners. Call (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463)† to find out more about how to create a memorable celebration for your birthday or special occasion.
- - - - - - -

Like the others have stated, if you want to celebrate something, please don't leave it to chance. There are so many wonderful things that can be planned for a special birthday celebration at WDW. :D

We just got back from a lagoon view room at the Poly. Not concierge. I had mentioned that my mother in laws birthday was during our stay and on our first night there, the resort delivered balloons and a birthday cake for us.

I didn't ask for it.

But, if you definitely want something, I would say go ahead and plan for it. You don't want to be disappointed

Just returned from the AKL where we celebrated our son's third birthday. We never asked for anything or expected anything but were pleasantly surprised. They upgraded us from standard to Savannah view and presented us with a certificate commemorating his Birthday. It was a wonderful surprise!

At AKL we also were upgraded from standard to savannah view, & my DD received an autographed personalized birday card from Cinderella with a picture of her in front of her castle.

I just sent some friends to OKW and they were celebrating her daughter's birthday. When I faxed the room requests a few days before, I mentioned that they were there celebrating her daughter's birthday, along with her name. When they came back from having lunch on their first day, there was a card and balloons for her. Very surprised. they loved it. so make sure you include it on your correspondence. WE are going down in July, celebrating my daughter's 16th and I mention it all of the time. Hopefully she will get a surprise. I believe you can also get birthday buttons at city hall.

...at WL last summer.

On check-in,a few days before her birthday, they asked for favorite characters for EACH of my kids(DS was 10). When we returned to the room on the afternoon of her birthday, they came up with three helium balloons, autographed pic for BOTH of them, and a chocolate WL lollipop for each! CM's at the pin stand and at Epcot gave her pins also.

DS happens to be a special needs child who always feels "left out" if he is missed - he was thrilled to get a personalized pic of Goofy wishing him a terrific time at WDW.

Granpa had also arranged for a huge balloon bouquet and flowers to be delivered for her, and they arrived at the same time!

This was BEFORE we headed off to Chef Mickey's for birthday dinner where she got her placemat, cupcake, singing and LOTS of attention from Minnie!

A great day! Problem is - now she wants to be in WDW for EVERY birthday/

Originally posted by lizzie64
I had mentioned that my mother in laws birthday was during our stay and on our first night there, the resort delivered balloons and a birthday cake for us.

Lizzie! Surely this made M-I-L Happy?

>>^..^<<

Several years, I mentioned that we were celebrating my DH's b'day when checking in at WL. Twice we've been surprised with a small, but incredibly decadent chocolate cake (with plates and forks) left in our room on the first day. Other times nothing was done. When it happens, we're thrilled. When it doesn't, we don't think twice about it.

As other have said, don't leave it to chance. Plan your own celebration and if there's something extra, it's a bonus. Picking up a birthday button is fun. DH refused to do it, but when eating at Plaza Restaurant, the 'Mayor' came in with some other CM's and asked if anyone was celebrating a b'day. Of course I raised my hand and pointed to DH. They presented him with a b'day button and everyone in the restaurant sang to him. CM's tend to notice the b'day button and congratulate the wearer. You might end up with a desert.

If you expect it its not a surprise!
I think disney works hard most of the time to bring that magic.

My wife got a cake, birthday card, balloons, party hats and noise makers at the Polynesian (GV, not concierge) for her birthday 2 years ago. When we checked in, the CM asked if we were celebrating any special occasion. I mentioned that it was my wife's birthday that week.

Last month, again at the Polynesian, my 2 boys got balloons, autographed pictures from Mickey, sand pails full of goodies, and coloring books. It was not their birthday, I didn't ask for anything special, no special occassion. BUT, I did tell the CM, in response to his question at check-in - "Is this your first time staying with us at the Polynesian?", that this was our 8th vacation at the Polynesian and to please put us in a nice room.

Even though we've had some nice surprises on 2 of 8 stays, I agree with others and say that if a birthday celebration is important to you and you don't want to be disappointed, call and make arrangements through the Disney Florist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter