Rest areas

Lefi42

Innocent of All but Malice
Hi all! It's been quite a few years since our last WDW trip, and I understand a vast amount of the rest areas/benches have been eliminated since then, so here's the issue I need assistance with:

• I'm in a power wheelchair (muscular dystrophy) that has a tilt/recline function that I need to be able to use for around 15 minutes every 2.5-3 hours. I need enough space to recline almost completely flat (about 5 feet) and not have to worry about oblivious people who aren't paying attention running into me.
  • My husband has severely flat feet that cause severe pain with prolonged walking/standing. He has special shoes and inserts that help enough to where he was okay with just taking a sitting break at the same time as my stretching break.
I'm concerned about places we can take these needed breaks now with so much seating being gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would look into using the first aid stations. Had to take my son to one, at that time,people were allowed to come in and rest a bit if the heat was getting to them.
Thanks, I didn't realize it was available for such things. Would I need a DAS for this? We don't normally get one because my issues are all mobility related.

no, a DAS is unnecessary. anyone can use the FA stations.

you may want to do some research ahead of time on regular park areas where it may be easy to do as well. Rafiki's island in AK for instance. it's quiet, out of the way and very restful. plus, sheep that clown around begging for treats. every park has secluded areas. and not all of them, are the smoking areas either.

you may want to do some research ahead of time on regular park areas where it may be easy to do as well. Rafiki's island in AK for instance. it's quiet, out of the way and very restful. plus, sheep that clown around begging for treats. every park has secluded areas. and not all of them, are the smoking areas either.

At WDW, I thought they got rid of all the smoking areas inside the parks?

There are bench In Tomorrowland ( if I remember right they are by Carousel of progress )at the MK where your DH can sit and you can lay down. By the bathroom close to 7DMT might work. I might be able to think of more but just keep your eyes out for benches that are out of the way where DH can sit and you can park close and lay back would renting getting a roller for DH so he can sit where ever you find a place out of the way work this way he always has a set with him as sometimes it is hard to even find a set.

Thanks so much! Hopefully my memories of some other out of the way spots still have benches. I get removing some from main thoroughfares, but I can't understand giving guests hardly any places to rest for a few minutes. That combined with so many new rides I can't go on because I can't transfer (MM Railroad even!) is starting to make me lose faith in Disney. It used to feel like they truly cared about the disabled and went above and beyond. It's sort of starting to feel like that isn't so much the case now.

There are bench In Tomorrowland ( if I remember right they are by Carousel of progress )at the MK where your DH can sit and you can lay down. By the bathroom close to 7DMT might work. I might be able to think of more but just keep your eyes out for benches that are out of the way where DH can sit and you can park close and lay back would renting getting a roller for DH so he can sit where ever you find a place out of the way work this way he always has a set with him as sometimes it is hard to even find a set.

Thank you for the suggestions! I've been trying to convince him to get a rollator for the trip. Unfortunately he's being very stubborn :rolleyes2

There's a small courtyard behind the Christmas Shoppe in MK that is very quiet and had a bench. Even on one horrendously crowded Saturday near Christmas there was nobody back there.

There's a small courtyard behind the Christmas Shoppe in MK that is very quiet and had a bench. Even on one horrendously crowded Saturday near Christmas there was nobody back there.
Wonderful! Thank you!

In MK there's a little grassy area in front of the castle. We rested there for about 45 minutes on our trip. Also MK Village Haus has a ton of tables. On our trip there were plenty of seats. This could vary depending on crowds.

In MK there's a little grassy area in front of the castle. We rested there for about 45 minutes on our trip. Also MK Village Haus has a ton of tables. On our trip there were plenty of seats. This could vary depending on crowds.
Thanks!

Restaurants usually reserve their seating for customers with food?

Thanks so much! Hopefully my memories of some other out of the way spots still have benches. I get removing some from main thoroughfares, but I can't understand giving guests hardly any places to rest for a few minutes. That combined with so many new rides I can't go on because I can't transfer (MM Railroad even!) is starting to make me lose faith in Disney. It used to feel like they truly cared about the disabled and went above and beyond. It's sort of starting to feel like that isn't so much the case now.

They have added large planters that double as places to sit. Unfortunately they do not have back support, but work for guests getting off of their feet for a bit.

Epcot still has benches around the world showcase. And lots of low walls that double as places to sit. In the Disney Studios there are benches by tower of terror and lots of wall space by Rock n Rollercoaster.

Disney has not removed all of the seating. I always check when I take my yearly trip (at least once a year) and I always find benches scattered around and plenty of places to just sit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter