• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restaurant Reviews 8/19-8/26

knw6883

Earning My Ears
Just wanted to stop in and give my restaurant reviews, since they were so helpful to me when I was planning!

We had the free dining plan, and we had ADRs for everything. It was just DH and myself, on our honeymoon. I'll only review the table service, since we mostly ate at Pop Century food court for our lunches and breakfasts.

Coral Reef

This was our favorite restaurant, ambiance-wise. Earlier in the day we'd gotten some "pixie dust" from a cast member in the Living Seas, who asked us if we wanted to go behind the scenes. She took us upstairs to the top of the tanks and we saw the dolphins and fish from above, and saw how they take care of them. It was really cool! So it was nice to see the fish again from the aquarium. We were seated next to the aquarium and were joined for most of the meal by a huge sea turtle who parked himself in the gravel. :) DH had the lobster bisque and enjoyed it - I had the caesar salad and was pleasantly surprised when our waiter told me that adding chicken would be included on the plan. The salad was excellent! We each had the strip steak for our entree. DH thoroughly enjoyed his, but as a former vegetarian, I just couldn't get into the huge slab of meat. I ordered it medium well but it was still really pink in most places. The au-gratin potatoes were good, very peppery. DH had the berry brulee, which he liked, and I had the California Gold dessert. It was unusual - I wouldn't order it again, but it wasn't bad. Our total with tip and tax was $128.

50's Prime Time

We each had the fried herb cheese appetizer, which came with toasted french bread and grapes/strawberries. I loved this, but DH picked at it. He ordered the fried chicken meal and I had the pot roast, which was fabulous! Our waiter, Craig, discovered DH's hidden greens underneath his chicken bones, and fed him a forkful. :blush: I can't remember what DH had for dessert here, but I had a delicious sundae. I think this dinner was around $75.

Le Cellier

We each had the Cheese Soup here, which DH really liked and I thought was so-so. I dunked my breadsticks in it though and liked it better that way. For our entree we each ordered the maple-barbecue filet mignon. This was my first filet mignon and I'm officially spoiled now. It was so good! The cream cheese mashed potatoes were fabulous also. Dessert for me was sorbet, which was really good. I can't remember what DH had for dessert. This was $89, I believe.

Boma

At Boma, DH was much more of a try-er than I was. It was a good experience, but I think I'm just too picky of an eater to fully enjoy it. The Fufu (mashed sweet potatoes) were very good, and so were tiny little tarlets from the dessert table filled with a mango custard, I believe? I personally wouldn't return, but nothing was bad - just not my taste.

Liberty Tree Tavern

This was our only lunch table service, and it was really good. DH had the crab cake appetizer, which he thought was so-so. We shared my mozzarella stick appetizer, which was delicious. He had the turkey dinner and I had the Old Glory hamburger with cheddar and bacon. It was an excellent lunch! Although all the other restaurants acknowledged our honeymoon (Shirley from DreamsUnlimited must have let Disney know when she made our ADR's and package booking), this was the only restaurant that did something - there was a heart on our table made of Mickey-head confetti. :-) It was really cute. We each had the Caramel apple dessert, which was very good. While we didn't take advantage of it, our waitress let us know she could get us the specialty drinks even though we were on the dining plan.

Ohana

This was definitely DH and my least favorite meal. I've heard such raves, but we really just didn't care for it at all. Our main waiter was really great, but our "drink" waiter - as everyone else has mentioned - took forever to get us our drinks. We're very patient, but DH even had to ask because all of our appetizers were out for 15 minutes and we hadn't even been asked what drinks we wanted yet. I really enjoyed the salad with honey-lime dressing, which DH didn't care for. He liked the chicken wings and I'm not a wings girl. :) We both enjoyed the au gratin potatoes. Perhaps it's our Pacific Northwest, skinless-boneless-chicken breast selves, but we really didn't care for the meats. I enjoyed the peanut dipping sauce, but DH didn't care for any of them. The meal was long enough that it lasted through three rounds of Hawaiian singing and parading of small children through the restaurant, as well as coconut races and hula lessons. I'm sure this is very entertaining for those with small children, but it was mostly distracting and loud for us. I can see how some people really like this restaurant, but we would not return.

Alfredos

This was our last dinner. DH had the caesar salad and enjoyed it very much. I had the tomato/mozzarella appetizer, which was excellent. We each had the fettuccine alfredo. I must be a college student with lower tastes, because I prefered Olive Gardens. :) I appreciated the authentic taste, but it was pretty dry and oily to me, not creamy at all like I'm used to. The woman who sat next to us must have had a similar sentiment because she asked the waiter for more sauce, but I was already full and didn't want to go to the trouble. I had the chocolate cake for dessert and DH had a berry/vanilla custard dessert.

All of our wait staff, excepting the cousin at Ohana who took a long time with the drinks, were pleasant and friendly and seemed genuinely interested in making sure we had a good time. I didn't experience any surly cast members - mostly other surly guests. It was hot, but not too bad - I think people were just wrapped up in their own selves and thinking the world revolved around them. My DH is very chivalrous and always offered his bus seat to someone elderly or with a baby, even if we'd purposely waited for a second bus because we wanted to sit rather than stand. One woman holding a baby (not her own, she was it's aunt) got on the bus and would have had to stand, and he said, "Excuse me ma'am, would you like this seat?" and stood up. She sat down and started talking to her husband again - didn't even look at DH or thank him or acknowledge him in any way, just took the seat as if she deserved it, even though we were the first ones on the bus. I almost said something to her, I thought it was so rude. That was the attitude of lot of people there and it was upsetting to us as guests, and probably more so to cast members as I'm sure they took that attitude out on them even more, from what we saw.

Just a little comment on the rude aunt w/ baby - I try to say "Your Welcome" very loudly but sweetly (well, fake sweetly) when people don't thank me for something like that.

Oh, and thanks for the reviews. I agree with you on Boma - great for the adventureous and so-so for the rest. I preferred the breakfast to the dinner there.

We are trying the LTT for the 1st time for lunch and LeCellier for dinner this trip. I am looking forward to both.

Thanks for the great reviews! What day were you at the Coral Reef? I think we were there the same time. We were there on Tuesday 8/22 -- our ADR was at 8, but I'm not sure what time we were seated. We got there early and hung out in the waiting area. My daughters played with this little boy -- keeping all the kids occupied.

My daughter saw the large turtle park himself on a rock near the window. He sat in that one position for a long, long time. My daughter was upset that he might have died. Finally he got up and swam away.

The food was good. I had the salmon -- which was excellent -- tender and juicy.

I'm going to write up my dining report and post it soon (I hope)

Thanks for the reviews. Congratulations on your wedding. And :p to the rude lady on the bus. My boys ALWAYS do the gentleman-ly thing, holding doors, offering seats and they just are flabbergasted when people don't say a simple thank you. Some people are just SO ignorant. Kudos to your DH for being so chivalrous! He'll be rewarded. :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your reviews! :thumbsup2

I'm starting to get worried about 'Ohana. I'm hoping that we have good luck there when we go in December.

Congratulations on your Wedding!

Dh feels the same way about 'Ohana. The food and atmosphere do nothing for him.

We've been thinking about Boma for our next trip. We like to try new things so maybe we will do it.
Thanks!

Thanks for the reviews! I applaud your husband for doing the right thing even though the lady did not thank him, she was incredibly rude. I have seen plenty of people sit and ignore a person with a small child standing on a bus. I do agree with you about the attitude that folks seem to think that they just deserve something and don't have to say thank you.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for your reviews - we've definitely decided to give 'Ohana a miss this October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter