Reviews yet on Coco?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Are any reviews/numbers in yet for this? I do know my MIL, SIL and her children went, and they all hated it.

There are some links on the last couple of pages on the news round up thread. Lots of folks there have liked it, myself included. It has more adult themes and we enjoyed it as did our 6 yo. It’s not in your face funny but rather a deep movie for Pixar.

My elderly mother, my 50 yr old self, and my 14 yr old daughter all really enjoyed the movie. The Frozen “short” that was approx 30 min long was too much but none of us particularly like Frozen. That made the time in the theater pretty long. We really enjoyed Coco. It might net be the best theme for the preschool age group - centered around the day of the dead.

Pernrotton tomatoes, it has a 96% approval by critics and 97% by audiences, which is high - Moana also was at 96% critics and Frozen was at 89%, for reference:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coco_2017

We saw is Wednesday and all absolutely loved it - may be some recent bias but for me it is one of the best Disney/Pixar avoerbthe last number of years - definitely better than Moana or Frozen to me, similar to Zootopia. Up there with Inside out and Up.

Last edited:

Yes, critics have been very positive. I loved it, as have other DISers, although it does have some dark/serious plot elements and is IMO not for very young kids. We have a thread about it going on the Community board here.

Not every movie is everyone's cup of tea. For those who disliked it, I'd be curious to know why (without revealing any spoilers).

It’s difficult for me to see how someone could have *hated* it. I guess if you went into it thinking you were going to get more comedy, you would probably be disappointed - but the story is so heartwarming and, more importantly, original!

The Frozen short OTOH - I could have seriously done without...and I liked Frozen.

My elderly mother, my 50 yr old self, and my 14 yr old daughter all really enjoyed the movie. The Frozen “short” that was approx 30 min long was too much but none of us particularly like Frozen. That made the time in the theater pretty long. We really enjoyed Coco. It might net be the best theme for the preschool age group - centered around the day of the dead.

Yes, critics have been very positive. I loved it, as have other DISers, although it does have some dark/serious plot elements and is IMO not for very young kids. We have a thread about it going on the Community board here.

Not every movie is everyone's cup of tea. For those who disliked it, I'd be curious to know why (without revealing any spoilers).

Just as one data point as far as ages - I have an 8 year old, a 5 (almost 6) year old, and a 3 year old. They all enjoyed it - though the 3 year old was getting a bit dignity by the end (though between previews, the Frozen "short", and the movie itself that was about 2.5 hours all in.

My 5 year old really seemed into it

Just as one data point as far as ages - I have an 8 year old, a 5 (almost 6) year old, and a 3 year old. They all enjoyed it - though the 3 year old was getting a bit dignity by the end (though between previews, the Frozen "short", and the movie itself that was about 2.5 hours all in.

My 5 year old really seemed into it

Thanks for the first-hand info. I don't have kids and sometimes I'm that old lady who presumes to know what they like. :)

Thanks for the first-hand info. I don't have kids and sometimes I'm that old lady who presumes to know what they like. :)

I think some kids could definitely find moments scary - but I think the presented death in a very friendly and approachable way - that it is just another part of your journey, etc - and the afterlife world was so colorful and fun I think a higher percentage of kids will like it than one might think

My friends and I loved it when we watched it on Friday!! The Frozen short was long, but we enjoyed it more than the Frozen Fever short from 2015 (which played before Cinderella). Coco seems to be doing really well in the box office.

I loved it. I felt it was extremely well done, I enjoyed the musicand story.

7 year old DS was very affected by it. He was upset for a large part of the day after. DH and I tried our best to comfort him, but now he doesn't even want to watch the commercials... and he was the most excited to see it! That being said, he's an emotional kid to begin with and has recently been asking about death (my uncle passed in April) so I think that has more to do with it than the movie itself. DD4 enjoyed it, though the concept goes over her head.

I would see it again in a heart beat

It’s difficult for me to see how someone could have *hated* it. I guess if you went into it thinking you were going to get more comedy, you would probably be disappointed - but the story is so heartwarming and, more importantly, original!

The Frozen short OTOH - I could have seriously done without...and I liked Frozen.

I think this was the problem for them - they were expecting your typical Disney story. My MIL hated the death element.
Myself and the kids think it looks great and can't wait to see it.

The rumor of Coco being an overlay/replacement to the Caballeros ride has been out there for a while - I am sure the fact the film is doing well and is well received only increases those chances

I would be totally onboard for that overlay. The movie felt educational about a different culture and I think would be a great fit in the Mexico pavilion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter