Rhine River Cruise Meets Thread

WDWgroupie, I am so glad your trip was good. I was getting anxious for you before you left re: the excursion! But I will say, these posts have made me so glad we switched our trip. We were originally scheduled for a river cruise this summer, and switched to Wyoming. Stressing and lining up to get an excursion I feel strongly about would be too much for me.

We just returned from the June 17 trip and loved every minute of it! They are definitely working out some kinks, but overall the experience was tremendous. The biggest issue is probably the excursion sign up method - a lot of confusion, but overall we found that it went well and were not disappointed. They did change a few excursions but only because after the first sailing in April, found some were a bit harder to pull off. I think we had a different experience that WDW Groupie or Texas Julie. Apart from the excursion sign up, we did not experience anything that would not be expected when traveling with a large group of people. Some of the walks/tours moved a little slower than I would have liked, but then I am used to travel with just four people and not 30. Our experience with the Adventure Guides was outstanding - they knew everyone's names, they were personable, they shared many experiences and really went out of their way to make sure people were happy. I can't speak for the ziplining excursion, but they always told us when to bring water, bags, cameras, ect... For example on the 3 hour bike ride, they made sure everyone had multiple bottles of water. The guides also switched bikes with anyone who had trouble with their bikes. The canoe ride was a bit hectic but tons of fun and lots of laughs. It is not often you get to be part of such a large group of canoes going down a river and through a lock - that was fascinating. True, not everyone totally understood how to steer their boats, but that made it even more fun. I think that some travelers may have had an expectation that everything should run like a Disney park, but I found that considering the number of people and activities, things ran very smoothly. I found my fellow travelers to be quite warm and open and generally in good spirits. In fact, I found myself getting choked up at the farewell slide show, as here was a group of people who came onboard strangers and left as friends. This was our first trip with ABD, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I completely enjoyed this trip, as did my family. There were several excursions that we probably would never have done on our own - the organ concert and the Sigfried's Mechanical Music Cabinet outing - so we were delighted that we had the chance to do these things. We had so much fun that I can't even pick just one highlight!

On a side note, we visited the Anne Frank House and Van Gogh Museum on our own as we stayed in Amsterdam a few extra days. We chose the Rijksmuseum which was incredible and a must see if you love art and historical buildings.

As far as the ship, the service could not have been any better - outstanding from start to finish, and in my mind, far superiior to any other cruise ship I have been on.

Practical notes - someone mentioned water - we had at least six bottles of water in our room at all times, and every day they provided water before we left the ship. Also, there was always extra water on the buses, and the guides almost always had extra water in their bags. Plus, you can drink the tap water without problem in all of the areas we visited. It was unseasonably warm (90's), so check the weather and make sure to bring sunscreen. Also, my son's seasonal allergies went haywire and he was stuffed up quite a bit. Again, though, several of the guides had allergy medicine and extra kleenex at all times! Finally, in Strausburg there is a lot of road construction going on, so it took the buses a tad bit longer to navigate. Hopefully that will clear up as summer goes on.

Texas Julie or anyone else who was in June 17, a few questions if you wouldn't mind :).

What time did you get in line on the ship to book excursions? On the boat tour in Strasbourg was it an ABD guide doing commentary or was it a prerecorded audio? What was your favorite excursion? In spite of the excursion capacity issues, did you walk away thinking it was a great trip and you were glad you went?

Hoping last answer is yes as we are really looking forward to the trip. Thank you!!!

We didn't get in line until right at 3. We did a walking tour in Strasbourg after the canoe trip (included a lock--so cool!) and it was led by a local guide and was very well done. When we had tours we needed to hear well, we used listening devices that you'll find in your room. I'm not sure about the riverboat version, but I think it was a live local guide. The canoes and the river boat passed each other on the river. That was fun.

I thought people dressed nicer for dinner, too, but not too fancy, and not everyone. We traveled with carry on only, so we didn't have lots of options. We did use their laundry service mid-week. It was cheaper than another family set of clothing AND luggage fees. :)

My favorites were the Music Cabinet Museum, Gondola Ride in Rudesheim, Winter Sports Park and the Black Forest Toboggan Run and Black Forest Farm, and the Van Gogh Museum. (Clearly it's hard to choose!) There wasn't a single excursion we didn't enjoy. I have a 16 yr old daughter and an 11 yr old son, and they can be difficult to please at the same time due to their age difference. All 4 of us enjoyed it.

Was it worth it? Yes! Are we glad we went? Yes! Are we trying to decide what our next ABD trip will be? Yes! (We did Costa Rica 2016 and it was amazing.)

We also did not board the boat until just before 3, and got to the lounge right at 3. There really was no advantage to being there earlier, as the lines were a bit chaotic. I wonder if they will change things up a bit for this next cruise? Echoing Texas Julie, I would say that the canoe trip was a lot of fun, and the Winter Sports Park as well. That was a treat to get out of the heat! We really did enjoy everything. Anywhere we went for a walking tour, we were led by local guides, and accompanied by the Adventure Guides. I don't recall having any prerecorded audio at all. My sons, ages 13 and 16, really did enjoy themselves. They were a bit shy about joining in with the teens, but as the week went on, they became more comfortable. And yes, we really did love the trip and would recommend it. I am hoping to do the land version of Germany, Austria and Prague next year.

To those who boarded after 3. Were you able to get the excursions of your choice. Was there really a limitation of people to certain excursions?

ABD really needs to do something about the sign up for excursions. I've been on family river cruises with two other companies and never had to stand in line to sign up for an excursion. There was also never any indication that there was a limit on the number of people who could sign up for a specific excursion and I'm sure that helped prevent any chaos and confusion. To the best of my knowledge, everyone was able to go on the excursions they wanted. I never heard any guest complain about not getting their first choice or the cruise director/guides tell anyone that a particular excursion was fully booked. On our Rhine cruise last summer, signing up for excursions was such a non-event, I can barely remember doing it. In some cases I think I decided just before the excursion departed, but there were a few for which we were asked to sign up in advance. For those, I just went up to the front desk at my leisure and let them know my choices. We always had 2 and sometime 3 options.

I had originally signed up for the very first river cruise (the DVC only) on the Danube a few years back. After a not so magical ABD Baltic Add-on, I became very concerned with the logistics of what ABD was promising with the river cruises. I eventually decided to move my ABD deposit to Greece. That original ABD/DVC cruise seemed to have gone off without a hitch, but it is interesting that many of the things I worried about that ABD assured me would not be issues are resurfacing now. Part of the way they sold and marketed that first cruise was with the premise that you absolutely did not need to prebook any excursions, that they wouldn't be "sold out" of anything, the groups wouldn't be huge, and you could choose your excursion the morning of if you wanted. Clearly they have completely backed away from this without any notice. I'd be so PO'd if I'd signed up for that cruise thinking I wouldn't have to choose until the day of and that everything would be available. They need to make that very clear in their marketing materials. They also need to figure out a way to have people choose ahead of time and eliminate the lining up chaos and stress.

I had originally signed up for the very first river cruise (the DVC only) on the Danube a few years back. After a not so magical ABD Baltic Add-on, I became very concerned with the logistics of what ABD was promising with the river cruises. I eventually decided to move my ABD deposit to Greece. That original ABD/DVC cruise seemed to have gone off without a hitch, but it is interesting that many of the things I worried about that ABD assured me would not be issues are resurfacing now. Part of the way they sold and marketed that first cruise was with the premise that you absolutely did not need to prebook any excursions, that they wouldn't be "sold out" of anything, the groups wouldn't be huge, and you could choose your excursion the morning of if you wanted. Clearly they have completely backed away from this without any notice. I'd be so PO'd if I'd signed up for that cruise thinking I wouldn't have to choose until the day of and that everything would be available. They need to make that very clear in their marketing materials. They also need to figure out a way to have people choose ahead of time and eliminate the lining up chaos and stress.
It still does work the good way on the Danube cruises. It's the Rhine river cruises where they have come across venues and vendors that limit the number of people they'll allow. But I totally agree they needed to have made that very clear when they brought out the Rhine river cruises that they would not work the same way as the Danube cruises, and that excursions were not guaranteed due to limits. That *was* one of the reasons I decided to sign up for the Danube cruise (it's a wonderful feature) and I'd be really pissed to find out last minute that not only aren't you guaranteed your choice of excursions, but that you won't know until after you arrive if you get any of your top choices at all. I do *not* understand why they are waiting until people are on the ship to sign them up. That's ridiculous. I understand -- Some of the places have physical limitations. But this lack of communication, and haphazard way of handling the signups just does not seem sustainable.

Sayhello

It still does work the good way on the Danube cruises. It's the Rhine river cruises where they have come across venues and vendors that limit the number of people they'll allow. But I totally agree they needed to have made that very clear when they brought out the Rhine river cruises that they would not work the same way as the Danube cruises, and that excursions were not guaranteed due to limits. That *was* one of the reasons I decided to sign up for the Danube cruise (it's a wonderful feature) and I'd be really pissed to find out last minute that not only aren't you guaranteed your choice of excursions, but that you won't know until after you arrive if you get any of your top choices at all. I do *not* understand why they are waiting until people are on the ship to sign them up. That's ridiculous. I understand -- Some of the places have physical limitations. But this lack of communication, and haphazard way of handling the signups just does not seem sustainable.

Sayhello
I couldn't agree more.

I feel I should add something here that I got in a response from ABD.

An Adventure Guide will sit down with “each” family “individually” to discuss the excursions and help them choose them based what the Guest wants, but what is also a great fit. This will take place at approximately 3 pm, when Guests are on the ship. Should a Guests’ first choice not be available, we will bend over backwards to increase our capacity, make other adjustments, etc. We will also create wait lists, should Guests change their minds.
I did see one person on facebook who said they did not get the Anne Frank house tour, which they *REALLY* wanted to do. Later in the tour, they got notification that tickets were acquired for them. So I guess in some cases, folks *are* being taken care of. And I guess, reading this, they don't want people to decide until they can discuss the the excursions with the Guides to see if it's really a fit. I understand this, but I'm still not sure it's the right way to handle things when you have a limited inventory. Being first to the ship should not be the criteria for getting the excursions you want. I'm not sure what should be the criteria, but maybe the order in which you booked? It just seems like there should be a better way to handle this.

I'm going to be interested to see how many people reporting back do not get the excursions they really wanted.

Sayhello

We are on the first night of the Rhine river cruise. At the pre night hotel, one of the guides told us not to worry, we didn't have to get to the ship early, everyone would get all the excursions they wanted. When we got on board, we were given a Disney character code (each family had one). When they called your code over the pa, you could go register for your excursions. We didn't even have to wait to hear our code, one of the guides grabbed us in the hall and asked if we'd like to book ours now, he accompanied us down to where they were planning and sat us with another guide and we picked everything in a few minutes. There were no lines and I didn't hear any complaints. They were still calling code names around 6 pm when we were already sailing.

Last edited:
We are currently on July 1st sailing, and EVERYONE is getting the excursions they want. You are assigned a character and at random they call them and then the guides will explain excursions and you sign up. This started at 2:30pm and lasted several hours as many people arrived clueless as at what they wanted to do. So, credit the guides for lots of patience.

Guides show up at Disney hotel at 9am to answer questions and start excepting luggage. 2 buses one at 12 noon and the other at 2pm. From 12-3 Mickey sandwiches, soup, and desert is available. At 3pm til 5pm cheese and more deserts
Served. At 6pm safety briefing with champagne h'orderves, introduction of guides, general instruction given. Dinner was at 7pm. So come hungry! Rooms seemed to start getting ready at 2:00pm or so.

I will have to amend my post about everyone getting their first choice excursions. We met a family who where among the last to be called for excursion sign up and they have been waitlisted for th Porsche and whatever else it is museum. The bus is full. It is sad because that is the one thing the dad in the group wanted to do most. This was frustrating to hear because they he guides swore up and down everyone would get their first choice. Many of the kinks have been ironed out, but obviously not all.

I will have to amend my post about everyone getting their first choice excursions. We met a family who where among the last to be called for excursion sign up and they have been waitlisted for th Porsche and whatever else it is museum. The bus is full. It is sad because that is the one thing the dad in the group wanted to do most. This was frustrating to hear because they he guides swore up and down everyone would get their first choice. Many of the kinks have been ironed out, but obviously not all.

With all this drama/stress concerning the excursions I am regretting choosing this Rhine River Cruise. Like many others I thought , based on the Danube River Cruise reports , that we would get the excursions we want. The ABD river cruise was much more expensive than booking the same ship with AMA directly from Amsterdam to Basel. We loved our experience on our previous four land based ABD adventures and the excursions were more appealing so we decided to spend the extra money with ABD.

ABD should hire transportation for this gentleman and his family. It is a museum so they don't have the excuse of not enough horses, canoes, bicycles or other equipment issues.

I've learned to be a better consumer and not show such brand loyalty :o. We are scheduled for ABD Peru next year though :crazy2:. Hoping for the best.

Thanks for all the trip reports!

For those who did not use the ABD Hotel prestay, how did you transfer from the airport to your hotel? I am aware that there exists public transportation but I am not wishing to lug our luggages through the streets.

thanks in advance

ONe other thing. Where will the cruise ship dock. The brochure indicated that we were to call a certain number on the day of the embarkation. Does it dock in different places?

thanks again

We are on the first night of the Rhine river cruise. At the pre night hotel, one of the guides told us not to worry, we didn't have to get to the ship early, everyone would get all the excursions they wanted. When we got on board, we were given a Disney character code (each family had one). When they called your code over the pa, you could go register for your excursions. We didn't even have to wait to hear our code, one of the guides grabbed us in the hall and asked if we'd like to book ours now, he accompanied us down to where they were planning and sat us with another guide and we picked everything in a few minutes. There were no lines and I didn't hear any complaints. They were still calling code names around 6 pm when we were already sailing.
OK...we are on the Christmas Rhine cruise and have heard nothing about a prenight hotel...is this through Disney? We had an included prenight before the Danube cruise last summer and we were surprised we hadn't heard anything about a Rhine one? Are you saying there IS one?!

OK...we are on the Christmas Rhine cruise and have heard nothing about a prenight hotel...is this through Disney? We had an included prenight before the Danube cruise last summer and we were surprised we hadn't heard anything about a Rhine one? Are you saying there IS one?!
You can add on a pre-night through ABD for a fee. It's usually pretty hefty.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter