Rider switch combined with pre park opening

DWeav

Mouseketeer
Quick question. If we do a pre park opening breakfast, let's say, Garden Grill at Epcot, and then proceed to Soarin around 8:45, will we have any issues getting a rider switch pass that early? Family of 4, with a 6 year old that will ride, but a 1 year old that obviously won't. That way mom and 6 year old can ride later. Just using Epcot as an example. Anyone done this at any park? Thanks!

I don’t see why you would not be able to do it. If the line is open you should be able to get a RS ticket. I don’t know for certain though, don’t think I have ever needed one first thing.

We've done this before, though not specifically with Soarin'. At Mine Train after PPO at BOG for example, they won't give you the swap ticket until the welcome show ends (when the park is officially open). The rope drop crowd doesn't have to be there, but the park does have to be officially open. At Everest once before (not PPO, but first thing after rope drop) and also at Space and Big Thunder (again right after rope drop), they've tried to tell us that we didn't need the swap ticket since it was walk-on, but I've found that if you push them a little and remind them that it will likely not be walk-on after the first group rides, they'll give you the swap ticket. Just be insistent!

We have done this exact thing 2 times with no problem. We got our rider switch card at Soarin at 8:50 and my wife took our 5 year old on Soarin. I then took our 2 year old on Living with the Land and had a boat to ourselves. We were able to use the rider switch pass later in the day.

We are hoping to try PPO breakfast at Garden Grill for our Oct trip. My youngest should be right at 40” for this trip - I’m happy he can ride most things with us now, but my older 2 kids sure are going to miss those rider swap tickets! Good luck!

This is the topic I was going to ask about. My husband and I are bring two of our grandchildren age 8 and 6 and we would like to both ride with the 8 year old, taking turns so one watches the 6 year old. The 8 year old wants to ride everything and the 6 year old is not ready for fast or scary. Can someone explain how we go about getting a rider switch and does this mean the 8 year old needs to use the 6 year olds FP for the second time or does she get to ride twice on the same FP? I thought I understood this but I guess I don't. For example Haunted Mansion is out for the 6 year old, do we all get in line and then ask just before going inside?

This is the topic I was going to ask about. My husband and I are bring two of our grandchildren age 8 and 6 and we would like to both ride with the 8 year old, taking turns so one watches the 6 year old. The 8 year old wants to ride everything and the 6 year old is not ready for fast or scary. Can someone explain how we go about getting a rider switch and does this mean the 8 year old needs to use the 6 year olds FP for the second time or does she get to ride twice on the same FP? I thought I understood this but I guess I don't. For example Haunted Mansion is out for the 6 year old, do we all get in line and then ask just before going inside?

I have only used rider swap with a child that is too short to ride, not one that simply doesn’t want to. From posts that I’ve read, it is at the cast member’s discretion whether or not to allow rider swap when a child is tall enough to ride.

If you are allowed to use it, you would simply all 4 walk to the ride entrance and tell the cast member there that you want to use rider swap. They will either give you the rider swap ticket there or the first pair that rides will be given the swap ticket later in the line. Your ticket will be good for 3 people to ride later via the FP line.

If you combine this with FP, only the first adult riding + the 8 year old need a FP for that attraction. The other adult and 6yo can have a FP for something else.

Two years ago (pre-Pandora), we rope dropped EE and the CM refused a RS because he said the standby wait had to be at least 10 minutes. I politely explained it felt like we were being punished for getting up early so we could all ride at the beginning of the day. He still denied the ticket, but let us go through the FP+ line when the first party got off because the standby wait by then was well over 10 minutes.

First, I don't believe Haunted Mansion offers rider switch--theres a list of which attractions do: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/rider-switch/

There have been conflicting reports from people who had kids tall enough but too nervous to ride--some CMs will give out a pass, some won't. If the kid in question is borderline on height it might help, because they might just eyeball the kid and give it out. (We also had a few rides where they didn't even ask to see the too small child, just gave us the pass when we requested it.) More in demand rides are likely to be stricter, it seems.

But in general, yes, everyone goes up to the line up, you tell the CM that you'd like a pass, they give you a badge to carry in the queue and the younger child and accompanying adult go do something else. When you get to boarding area you swap the badge in for a paper pass, which then allows any three people in your party to return to the FP line. Right now most passes are good for use anytime the same month, except for a few high traffic rides that are one day only--that part could change. The 8 year old would need a fastpass for the first time through the line, but could use the swap pass the second time through.

We have done this exact thing 2 times with no problem. We got our rider switch card at Soarin at 8:50 and my wife took our 5 year old on Soarin. I then took our 2 year old on Living with the Land and had a boat to ourselves. We were able to use the rider switch pass later in the day.

We also did this exact same thing around 845 at Soarin in November !

HS does not have rider swap.
They do have special post cards that they can give kids that are frightened. It has a cute photo of Mickey Mouse on it and the CM will tell the child to hold the card up over their eyes if they do not want to see anything inside the mansion.

Technically I think rider swap is really for height issues. If it was for anyone that was frightened than we would have used it when my oldest refused to ride the tower of terror till she was 13.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter