Rides and Wheelchair availability

nuzmom

a real-life Merida
We are renting an ECV for our trip since I don't think anyone in my group should/could be pushing me in a wheelchair for most of the day! My brain cancer keep us guessing each day on the exact extent of my loss of mobility, but today was an example of a "bad day".... My left leg, from the hip down, is about 95% unusable. My left arm is about at 50%. My right side is weak, but ok.

My question - if I can't take the ECV right up to a ride vehicle, will there "always" be a wheelchair available for me to use (waiting for it as needed)?

Once at a ride vehicle, between my DH and a cane, and holding on, I should be alright (for the rides I plan on trying to ride). Is there typically an issue with having a cane on a ride (like haunted mansion)?

the rides you have to transfer to a wheel chair for the CM will be able to point you to where the wheel chair or they can get you one, so it will be a park your ECV and move a wheel chair. as fair as your cain some rides you can take it on. some you can not, I was given a option to take a folding cain on RnR or have the CM move it to the exit ( I had them move it for me) space I was told they had to move it.

I wonder if you will be able to safely steer the ECV?
To answer your question, there are a few rides that you must transfer to a wheelchair to get to the ride vehicle (Pirates is one, I believe). You will definitely want to pick up the special needs map, but I believe the regular map in each park shows which rides require that transfer.

My question - if I can't take the ECV right up to a ride vehicle, will there "always" be a wheelchair available for me to use (waiting for it as needed)? short answer, no. while they say there will be ones available, you cannot bank on them being accessible, with or without a wait, or that they will be ..well..usuable. I have had a few where the wheels popped right off!

Once at a ride vehicle, between my DH and a cane, and holding on, I should be alright (for the rides I plan on trying to ride). Is there typically an issue with having a cane on a ride (like haunted mansion)? some ride vehicles it may not be safe or practical to bring a cane on board with you. at that point you can just leave it with the ECV.

are you even positive you will be able to safely operate an ECV ? you will require hand eye coordination as well as the use of both hands on the controls.

I have operated a ECV in many stores around home.
We have also added a high back to our rental to help prevent fatigue, but I don't see what would prevent me from operating it safely with 100% use of my right arm (I should have clarified that when I said "weak", I mean it gets tired and we'll need to take breaks, but my right side is 100% usable). Sorry about that confusion!
I mostly use the ones around home with one hand, switching to the left hand as needed.
I will absolutely not be allowed by my neuro-oncologist to ride any rough rides, and definitely not the rollercoasters! Sadly, those days are over for me. This trip will be about shows and slow moving rides and spending time with my family. :)

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there "should" be a wheelchair for rides indicating that on the special needs maps (which I have printed).

I have operated a ECV in many stores around home.
We have also added a high back to our rental to help prevent fatigue, but I don't see what would prevent me from operating it safely with 100% use of my right arm (I should have clarified that when I said "weak", I mean it gets tired and we'll need to take breaks, but my right side is 100% usable). Sorry about that confusion!
I mostly use the ones around home with one hand, switching to the left hand as needed.
I will absolutely not be allowed by my neuro-oncologist to ride any rough rides, and definitely not the rollercoasters! Sadly, those days are over for me. This trip will be about shows and slow moving rides and spending time with my family. :)

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there "should" be a wheelchair for rides indicating that on the special needs maps (which I have printed).
I hope you have a great trip and like I said there will be wheel chair near by for the rides that you need to transfer too. and if there are not a CM should be able to find one for you.

Will using the ECV use up some of your reserve energy? Maybe you could have both available, in case using the ECV becomes overwhelming? I hope it doesn't, and you have a very special trip.

To answer your initial question, I looked for the wheelchair at Pirates (I was feeling sick, like ER sick - which is where I did end up eventually) and didn't see one, but I didn't think to ask for it either. I'm guessing they keep them out of sight to save them for the ECV switch.

Thanks DisneyOma. Yes, we'll have my wheelchair from home with us - we plan on using it at the airport and around the resort (or Boardwalk).
Pirates is one of the rides I'm trying to figure out - I just need to do a lot more research about getting on and off some of the "middle" rides. Pirates is one of those I'm pretty sure I could board, but getting OFF (standing up in those seats - ugh) could be a concern.
Anyway, going to check things out on an individual basis a little better.

Thanks DisneyOma. Yes, we'll have my wheelchair from home with us - we plan on using it at the airport and around the resort (or Boardwalk).
Pirates is one of the rides I'm trying to figure out - I just need to do a lot more research about getting on and off some of the "middle" rides. Pirates is one of those I'm pretty sure I could board, but getting OFF (standing up in those seats - ugh) could be a concern.
Anyway, going to check things out on an individual basis a little better.

Good plan to have the wheelchair! For Pirates, it really helps to have one adult load before you, and one after - that's what we had to do with my mom. She can get down, but not up. My husband would go on first, then my Mom, then me. He'd get off, brace and offer her his arm/hand. As soon as he hauled her butt up enough, I'd get my hands on her back/butt and push. between the two of us, she'd have enough momentum to get up and off. (I always got the butt because, well, who wants their SIL to have to put hands on your butt?)

If you elect to take your cane on the rides with you, be sure to have the strap around your wrist. I failed to get through the strap on Peter Pan one time. The cane slipped and I nearly bombed London. Thank heavens husband caught cane before it fell. He always asks if the cane is secure on PP.

Have a great trip.

If you elect to take your cane on the rides with you, be sure to have the strap around your wrist. I failed to get through the strap on Peter Pan one time. The cane slipped and I nearly bombed London. Thank heavens husband caught cane before it fell. He always asks if the cane is secure on PP.

Have a great trip.

Sorry @The Hunchback - I just LOL'd at the mental image of your cane "bombing" London in PP! ;)

Follow the links in in my signature or look near the top of this board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is one post for each park that discusses the transfers into attractions for that park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter