Rides hard on knees after total knee replacement (TKR)?

ms.ojo

DIS Veteran
Had total knee replacement and while good recovery, I still find stamina and excessive bending/weak glutes issues. Expect we will bring wheelchair as cannot imagine standing in the lines, or walking 10miles a day.

can anyone tell me who has had TKR can they ride FoP? How does the knee feel with jerky stops like EE? Can you sit in a low seat or perhaps more to the point, can you get out of a low seat like Pirates? Or the family raft ride? i know all knees and recoveries are different, but TIA for any information you can share.

DH (had a TKR in 2017) says, if you have at least 120 degrees of flex then pretty much any ride you don't have to get down into (like RnRC, Space, Splash,) you should be okay. The rides you have to step down into and squat or bend are a little tricky like RnRC etc. All the other rides you can either cross your leg or sit a little sideways and you'll be okay. FoP was totes fine he said.

I have had both knees totally replaced. Only ride that I couldn't manage was 7DMT. Not enough room for both knees to bend into footwell. Good luck and have a great trip.

Had double knee replacement two years before our last Disney trip. I had to turn my legs sideways a little inside Mine Train-but I am 5'3" and sat with a seven year old, so I managed! I don't do RnRC. I did Barnstormer and also needed to have my knees off to the side, and I sat alone in this one. I had no issue on SDD at all. I had no trouble on FOP. I was proud I walked the entire time, too. But we took a midday break everyday except one.

While I have not had a TKR I have had surgery for a lateral release of the knee cap. At 6’3” tall the only ride that has bothered me was the back seat of Test Track. Just way to tight and not enough room to angle the knees. I just politely ask when approaching the ride attendant if we can get a front seat as it hurts my knees. Has never been a problem.

How long ago and how did your PT go? I've had both knees replace (2014 and 2017) and have had no problems with any rides. The only thing I can't do is run.

I’ve never had knee surgery (yet anyway), but I can tell you, Dinosaur hurts my knee. When I first rode it, I tried to brace against the jerking around and it really hurt. Now I just hold onto the bar and let myself be flung around (I mean, I know I’m not going to fly out). Good luck with your recovery!!

How long ago and how did your PT go? I've had both knees replace (2014 and 2017) and have had no problems with any rides. The only thing I can't do is run.

5 mths ago. PT was great til they tore my hamstring. But doing much better now. Have 120 bend and 0 straight so that’s good. stamina for walking and sitting improving each week. Dr stopped my PT in Nov with the tear but I do my exercises. Trip isn’t til August so hopeful but concerned re: getting out of low ride vehicles and overall stamina

Is it unrealistic to think after a couple of months of PT post knee replacement that going on rides can be managed? My mom (a teacher) needs a double knee replacement, and was thinking of doing it early June after school let's out. Meanwhile, she's joining us on our trip first week if September. We had planned on getting an ECV for the standing and walking (she's needed it the last several trips anyway) but never considered the bending factor.

5 mths ago. PT was great til they tore my hamstring. But doing much better now. Have 120 bend and 0 straight so that’s good. stamina for walking and sitting improving each week. Dr stopped my PT in Nov with the tear but I do my exercises. Trip isn’t til August so hopeful but concerned re: getting out of low ride vehicles and overall stamina
You should be good to go. It sounds like you're doing all the right things with exercises. I still do some exercises to keep my leg muscles strong.

Is it unrealistic to think after a couple of months of PT post knee replacement that going on rides can be managed? My mom (a teacher) needs a double knee replacement, and was thinking of doing it early June after school let's out. Meanwhile, she's joining us on our trip first week if September. We had planned on getting an ECV for the standing and walking (she's needed it the last several trips anyway) but never considered the bending factor.

Biggest thing at that point is stamina and the ECV will handle that. : ). I used one at a large multi state fair at 45 days no problem. bend should be good... it is normally 12-15 wks PT post surgery

QUESTION back for you, How hard is it for your mom to Park the ECV onto the Disney bus??? I would prefer to rent one over a wheelchair so my family doesn’t have to push me but those ramps ...

Question back for you

Hoping time and continued recovery make it all work as I have the bend, but it still hurts at the extreme from tendons under the knee cap so probably more 118 that is easily doable. Stepping down into rides will lead with bad leg and hope for the best as I then try to sit.

Hoping time and continued recovery make it all work as I have the bend, but it still hurts at the extreme from tendons under the knee cap so probably more 118 that is easily doable. Stepping down into rides will lead with bad leg and hope for the best as I then try to sit.

why would you risk the safety of your knee to ride a ride?

I wouldn’t. It is a matter of how deep a bend is required and was curious how others had found it to be. I step down into a ride and it doesn’t let me sit, I am stepping out. but if I was hearing that would likely be the case for most rides, I would adjust my expectations. Hearing the success stories, I am still hopeful.

Biggest thing at that point is stamina and the ECV will handle that. : ). I used one at a large multi state fair at 45 days no problem. bend should be good... it is normally 12-15 wks PT post surgery

QUESTION back for you, How hard is it for your mom to Park the ECV onto the Disney bus??? I would prefer to rent one over a wheelchair so my family doesn’t have to push me but those ramps ...

Question back for you
not the poster you were asking but from what I have learned using an ECV make sure you go all the way down ramp straight until off the ramp. and don't be afraid t ask bus driver for help parking on the bus after getting on if you need, I have never had a driver refuse to help in fact I felt some were ready to do the parking as they could do it faster

Question back for you
Thanks so much! She'll of course be talking to her doctor as well, but it's good to know.

As far as the ECV, I don't know! She's always rented the ones inside the parks, this will be heat first time with one to navigate on the buses. I expect she'll have a steep learning curve

The bus driver will assist with getting the scooter up the ramp, parked in the spot and tied dpwn. You just need to ask, if they will assist you. Some will offer, but we've talked to enough drivers, who say they find some guests get offended,thinking that can't do for themselves. I've never had,any Disney's employee refuse if asked for assistance.

Please know that at no time can a Disney employee assist a guest with entering or exiting a ride. A member of your party must assist. It is a liability issue and not a unwillingness to help.

My dad was able to walk with his cane and we did not do tons of rides so this is just a snippet from rides/attractions we did do that caused a bit of issue. (again, there were lots we didn't even try. Hardly did E Tickets at all.)

1) Getting in and out of deep boat rides was tough for him. Specifically Pirates and Frozen. The actual ride was fine. If he was in a chair that could ride on it would have been better.
2) Haunted mansion walkway went too fast for him even slowed down. We decided to skip any omnimover type ride going forward because he did not want to have whole ride stop for him (again personal thing, you can have it stopped for you.)
3) Everest was surprisingly an easy entry and exit (step up is very low to the ground) he had good leg clearance but is 5'10".
4) Living with the Land and Soaring are great.

We watched tons of shows though and still had a great time. Tiki Birds, Monsters laugh floor, country bears, Animal kingdom shows, Epcot shows and musicians etc.

Edited to add that Safari was very bumpy. Getting on was ok because they had a special entrance but he did bump his knee a few times and ending up sitting on an angle since no one else but us in our row.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts