Rides hard on knees after total knee replacement (TKR)?

My Mom had a total knee replacement in December 2017. Her first trip back to WDW was not until September 2018, but she started back with Disneyland visits in February 2018 (we live local and only went a few hours). I definitely suggest the wheelchair or ECV as the walking and standing was still too much for her (and honestly still is, but she should probably get the other knee done too). The first few times at only 2 months post TKR, we did rides that she did not have to step up or down into. But then we started to add those in and have been fine. She find the back seat for Test Track / RSR easier for her as she has something better to use to help her stand up getting off. She has no problems with FoP or Pirates at all. She does not ride EE, but would assume that would be ok to get in and out of. Also note, there are some rides like Big Thunder (well at DL at least) that they can drop the side down on the car to make it easier for the transfer, so you can always ask about what you need. The CMs will ask about the transferring and if you think more time will be needed and those sorts of questions.

To the OP, if you don't mind, how old are you? There are many posts in this thread that indicate using an ECV or wheelchair long after you should be good to go, depending on your overall health and recovery. Some folks are maybe quite old when having it down or just didn't do well with PT. Successful PT means you can live normally as the ex-marine above mentioned.

I was 57 when I had my first replacement and 61 for the other. I've had zero issues doing whatever I want except running. I can get up and down from the floor, climb in and out of rides, etc. I am overweight by a fare amount and still have no trouble. Don't let all the bad outcome stories scare you.

To the OP, if you don't mind, how old are you? There are many posts in this thread that indicate using an ECV or wheelchair long after you should be good to go, depending on your overall health and recovery. Some folks are maybe quite old when having it down or just didn't do well with PT. Successful PT means you can live normally as the ex-marine above mentioned.

I was 57 when I had my first replacement and 61 for the other. I've had zero issues doing whatever I want except running. I can get up and down from the floor, climb in and out of rides, etc. I am overweight by a fare amount and still have no trouble. Don't let all the bad outcome stories scare you.
I am 57 and overweight too. Had long term issues with left foot and knee which weakened my legs and hips considerably as I changed gait to accommodate. After a final year of extreme pain I had the surgery. (doctors had at first wanted to try and get me into my 60s by easing pain with cortisone shots, but I was bone on bone with lots of arthritis so they advised I shouldn’t wait any longer)

i was diligent with my PT but all aspects of recovery happened slower for me. Just glad they are happening. 😊. And then there was the hamstring tear. Ugh

yesterday I went to a large flower show with dd and brought a cane (don’t use one normally). What bothered me most was intense periodic lower back pain, Not the actual knee. I would sit down and then be good to go. By end of show my knee was quite stiff but it recovered quickly at home with ICE. Again, just think muscles are being used in a different way than they had for years. The new knee is a perfect fit but puts different pull on hips and lower back.

Honestly I have found this thread very reassuring. We will bring a wheelchair to have for longer walks and especially end of day and bus lines. But I plan to park it whenever possible and walk.

am a little nervous about leg room and comfort on plane (3hrs) as I get pain sitting after an hour. Better be free to walk about the cabin!!

I had total replacement of both knees when I retired from the Marines and I walk 10 miles a day and the only thing I notice on rides is the big step down on water rides Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain. I can do it but the knees yell at me for it (do it anyways). I had no issues on FoP ride it twice last vacation.

super! I love FoP! POTC has been difficult with bad knee last few visits so I think it will be easier now. I think Space Mtn or Splash will be the hardest to get in/out of for me as my last few visits they were tough. But I have mths to keep strengthening !!

super! I love FoP! POTC has been difficult with bad knee last few visits so I think it will be easier now. I think Space Mtn or Splash will be the hardest to get in/out of for me as my last few visits they were tough. But I have mths to keep strengthening !!
Keep it up my employees most of whom tease me about the walking are 25 years younger than me and I know I can walk them into the dust.

I am 57 and overweight too. Had long term issues with left foot and knee which weakened my legs and hips considerably as I changed gait to accommodate. After a final year of extreme pain I had the surgery. (doctors had at first wanted to try and get me into my 60s by easing pain with cortisone shots, but I was bone on bone with lots of arthritis so they advised I shouldn’t wait any longer)

i was diligent with my PT but all aspects of recovery happened slower for me. Just glad they are happening. 😊. And then there was the hamstring tear. Ugh

yesterday I went to a large flower show with dd and brought a cane (don’t use one normally). What bothered me most was intense periodic lower back pain, Not the actual knee. I would sit down and then be good to go. By end of show my knee was quite stiff but it recovered quickly at home with ICE. Again, just think muscles are being used in a different way than they had for years. The new knee is a perfect fit but puts different pull on hips and lower back.

Honestly I have found this thread very reassuring. We will bring a wheelchair to have for longer walks and especially end of day and bus lines. But I plan to park it whenever possible and walk.

am a little nervous about leg room and comfort on plane (3hrs) as I get pain sitting after an hour. Better be free to walk about the cabin!!
I get that. A bad knee can make a lot of other parts go bad too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter