Rides hard on knees after total knee replacement (TKR)?

I realize its not the same thing, but DH did all four parks with a torn ACL (pre-op) while wearing a full leg brace. We didn't ride Mine Train, but everything else he was able to get in and out of fine. FOP wasn't there yet, but he did ride it about 6 months post-op and had no issue with bending the knee to fit in the restraints.

I only have trouble in the front row of the Small World boats. There isn't alot of good leg room. I was uncomfortable but I think I would have been even if I hadn't had both knees replaced. I can do all other rides just fine.

I have had both knees replaced. I found Splash Mtn a bit hard on my knees because of the amount of bend required in the knees. 7DMT was a little bit tight but was ok. If I was tall (I am 5’ 6”) it would be more difficult. I don’t do Space Mtn and haven’t been to SWGE yet. FOP was just fine.

My dad has had 2 TKR (same day!!) and 1 of those was then replaced due to infection so add another TKRR...

We went to Disney 1 year before and 2 years after his surgery when he was 70. He went on 7DMT, Test Track, and had not issues with the bike on Pandora! He said that one was actually comfortable!

Prior to the TKR, he carried a cane / chair but he was able to keep up all but one day. That day he ended up needing to rest for an hour at tomorrowland terrace before getting back to BLT.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and those of your loved ones! Will keep checking this thread !! Hoping it is helpful to others too!

Is it unrealistic to think after a couple of months of PT post knee replacement that going on rides can be managed? My mom (a teacher) needs a double knee replacement, and was thinking of doing it early June after school let's out. Meanwhile, she's joining us on our trip first week if September. We had planned on getting an ECV for the standing and walking (she's needed it the last several trips anyway) but never considered the bending factor.

DH had his TKR the first week in June and we went to WDW the first week in September.

I have had both knees replaced (2012 and 2017). For me, the rides that you step down into were the worst because it was hard to get out of the ride since you don't have the same mobility in your knee to push off of it to stand up. We visit WDW several times a year so I was there within 2-3 months after each surgery. 7DMT was hard on those first visits after the surgery but not really bad as the ride is pretty short. FOP has never been an issue for me. We don't ride the raft ride only because I don't like to walk around wet. The wheelchair will be a big help. I brought one for the first year after each surgery. You can always park it and walk around sections of each park but it's really nice to have it at the end of the day. Dinosaur made my knee a little sore because of all the jerking but it was gone 5-10 minutes after we were off the ride. EE was never an issue. You might want to also check out the Disabilities Forum on this site. They were really helpful when I was planning my first trip after my first surgery.

After thinking about it, sitting was more difficult than walking after each knee replacement. Going back to work and sitting at a desk was more difficult than most walking. As long as your PT gets your flexibility and strength back you should be fine. I continued the same bending, straightening, and strengthening exercises for several months after.

I have had both knees replaced (2012 and 2017). For me, the rides that you step down into were the worst because it was hard to get out of the ride since you don't have the same mobility in your knee to push off of it to stand up. We visit WDW several times a year so I was there within 2-3 months after each surgery. 7DMT was hard on those first visits after the surgery but not really bad as the ride is pretty short. FOP has never been an issue for me. We don't ride the raft ride only because I don't like to walk around wet. The wheelchair will be a big help. I brought one for the first year after each surgery. You can always park it and walk around sections of each park but it's really nice to have it at the end of the day. Dinosaur made my knee a little sore because of all the jerking but it was gone 5-10 minutes after we were off the ride. EE was never an issue. You might want to also check out the Disabilities Forum on this site. They were really helpful when I was planning my first trip after my first surgery.
Thank you. I was thinking it will be nice to park it and walk through some areas, but to have it for longer walks between lands, and end of day especially will be good.
I find switching things up is best between stand, walk & sit. Lol, standing is probably my worst.

OMGosh wanted my reply to post above but it keeps posting to me. I give up

Last edited:
After thinking about it, sitting was more difficult than walking after each knee replacement. Going back to work and sitting at a desk was more difficult than most walking. As long as your PT gets your flexibility and strength back you should be fine. I continued the same bending, straightening, and strengthening exercises for several months after.

Yes, I can’t do any one thing for too long; sit, or especially stand. Doing better, but originally doing supermarkets if I encountered a long wait at the deli, I had to sit and massage knee before I could walk through the rest of the store. 🤪

Wow this thread is freaking me out.
Going to WDW next month and meeting soon with my orthopedic doc to talk surgery in June. I’m 55 and looking to have one knee replaced. I was under the impression that a knee replacement, if PT was followed would allow me to be back at 100% capable of getting back to an active lifestyle sans maybe running but you all are saying that you can’t ride rides with your knee replacement due to bend is worrisome. Even as bad as my is I have no problems at WDW as long as I get my cordissone shot the week before. Of course I still need to speak with surgeon before pulling the trigger but I thought the replacement was the answer...:(

Going to WDW next month and meeting soon with my orthopedic doc to talk surgery in June. I’m 55 and looking to have one knee replaced. I was under the impression that a knee replacement, if PT was followed would allow me to be back at 100% capable of getting back to an active lifestyle sans maybe running but you all are saying that you can’t ride rides with your knee replacement due to bend is worrisome. Even as bad as my is I have no problems at WDW as long as I get my cordissone shot the week before. Of course I still need to speak with surgeon before pulling the trigger but I thought the replacement was the answer...:(

there are still some limitations after surgery.
Given your age and your first TKR, it’s likely Your bend will be very good if you follow your PT and you will feel much better after Surgery.

One thing that we have noticed as the biggest challenge - the ability to get up from being on the floor will be very different than before surgery - you cannot be on your TKR.

Don’t be freaked. I am 57. Biggest thing is expectations. I was told by Surgeon first month I would question why I did it, second mth great improvements and by 3rd month “what knee”. By mth 3 I was making great progress and stamina was improving but not anywhere close to “what knee”.

It was then he told me it takes a year or longer to fully recover and sometimes muscles take longer to re-engage and be strong. They don’t cut muscles, but some tendons are cut to put in the new joint and that it takes time to heal and have all pull together to do their job.

My hamstring tear certainly derailed me. I am now getting around much better and see a better life post tkr. I was only on pain killers for a few wks but muscle relaxers and NSAIDS much longer Agree with other poster, you don’t kneel on it and pushing up from Low chairs as well as getting up from the ground are very different now.

I read this thread and am hopeful. PT is very important and I took it seriously which is why I think I was able to recover the good bend after the tear and subsequent period of inactivity.

Please don't get freaked out. I had both knees replaced at the same time 6 years ago. I recovered very well. 9 months after surgery I went to WDW and the only thing that hurt were my feet from running around the parks all day. I find I need a bit more room in boat rides and the only issue is the front row of Small World boats. I have been traveling alot and walking all over the place, up stairs, hills, and uneven ground. Once in a while my ligament on my left knee gets a bit sore but the doctor had to cut that and reattach it. It is nothing that stops me. It is the best thing I did. You will second guess yourself for the first couple of weeks but after that you see how much progress you make with the PT and exercise. By a few months out you will know you did the right thing. Full recovery according to my surgeon is 6 months to a year and that was true. Be sure to follow what the doctor and PT tell you and do your exercises.

If you do decide to go the ECV route I highly recommend renting the ones in the parks. My mother has to use one to get around all day and the one time she brought her own the battery died 8 hours into the day. It really made a mess of that day to be honest. The ones you rent in the parks are made to last all day and if for some reason it doesn't they will bring you a replacement right away and you have little worries. Get to the parks early though because they can run out of them for the day. The MK and DHS are the only parks I have had this issue with.

Also know that people will not watch out for you. We have had people literally fall over one with it not even moving.

I don’t think anyone said you can’t ride rides with knee replacements Other than waiting until you finish PT and get range or motion and flexibility back. You are correct, doing the PT WILL get you back to 100% short of running. Don’t worry.

I had total replacement of both knees when I retired from the Marines and I walk 10 miles a day and the only thing I notice on rides is the big step down on water rides Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain. I can do it but the knees yell at me for it (do it anyways). I had no issues on FoP ride it twice last vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!