Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
I can’t see Disney start letting people hop for free if they miss out on ROTR on a large scale, just individuals who CMs have upgraded to hoppers at their discretion. DHS is a whole park outside of that attraction that they would basically be saying is not worth coming to, and it sets a standard for people expecting to be upgraded for free because of any number of missed attractions or experiences at other parks too.

I feel like if they did let people unuse their tickets they'd need to have it right after boarding groups come out. Giving half an hour would allow someone to possibly rope drop a ride then get to hop for free.

Combined with the upcoming Princess RunDisney crowd (we are both) plus some poor performing days have FP returners from prior days to account for as well
The last couple of days have had great performance, so there shouldn’t be any FP leftovers. The days when it goes to recovery does impact the number of guaranteed BGs, it seems, but they seem to be blowing past that number - today they are already at 79.

You can’t demand recompense just because a ride is highly in demand. It’s amazing that they gave out the recovery FPs in the first place when you think about it. If FOP goes down on your AK day, too bad.

The last couple of days have had great performance, so there shouldn’t be any FP leftovers. The days when it goes to recovery does impact the number of guaranteed BGs, it seems, but they seem to be blowing past that number - today they are already at 79.

You can’t demand recompense just because a ride is highly in demand. It’s amazing that they gave out the recovery FPs in the first place when you think about it. If FOP goes down on your AK day, too bad.

I don’t know about amazing but I agree with what you’re generally saying, I think the level of auto compensation they were giving was out of the ordinary. It was nice to see they were on the ball there.

That said, I think the comparison to other attractions that they don’t compensate in the same way don’t hold up, because of the nature of the VQ requiring a good amount of effort to get on the ride, and also consistently poor reliability. If literally any other attraction goes down on you and you miss it, you likely didn’t plan the entire day around riding it nor would it take another day dedicated to trying again. Even FoP.

that kinda is the current boarding pass method. Except you’re using your phone instead of lines at a machine.
There would probably be a 2 hour line at the FP machines!

But with the old paper FP system it was still first come, first serve. Now it is first come, second come, anyone come before 8am and serve all at once aka a lottery.

I'd take the FP paper system easily. I can control if I get a BP or not that way.

But with the old paper FP system it was still first come, first serve. Now it is first come, second come, anyone come before 8am and serve all at once aka a lottery.

I'd take the FP paper system easily. I can control if I get a BP or not that way.

I fondly remember the TSMM stampede (it was fun without kids in tow) but I don’t want it back lol! Paper FP for BG would be so dangerous. Not to mention would bring back those early 4 AM crowds.

But that’s just plain not practical. There are too many people. They can’t open the gates at 2 am, and they can’t have a stampede at 8 am open to get to the limited number of BPs. This is truly the only way to do it right now.

Nobody is guaranteed access to any ride. People go to parks hoping to ride 7dmt or FOP or Peter Pan and walk away without those too. Does that make their entire day a waste?

If your only goal in going to the park is rotr, then don’t go to the park because you are likely to be disappointed.

But that’s just plain not practical. There are too many people. They can’t open the gates at 2 am, and they can’t have a stampede at 8 am open to get to the limited number of BPs. This is truly the only way to do it right now.

They were essentially doing it when it first opened. When you could log into your MDE and get a BP right when you scanned in. They were opening the gates at like 5:30am. I think a first come, first serve is possible but Disney doesn't want to spend the money to staff it.

They were essentially doing it when it first opened. When you could log into your MDE and get a BP right when you scanned in. They were opening the gates at like 5:30am. I think a first come, first serve is possible but Disney doesn't want to spend the money to staff it.
I rode on Dec 13 and 14 when the first-come, first-served system was in place. The two days that I was there the park opened around 6:30 or 6:40, not 5:30, although I was there at 5:30, as were a heckuva lot of other people. And, yes, I got BGs both days.

As @yulilin3 has pointed out upthread somewhere, the problem with this system is that you can walk to DHS, so with the increasing popularity of the ride--which I imagine has happened since the more people who ride it, the more other people know about it--there could be people lined up at 2 a.m. or midnight. There'd be no way to stop them. I think this must be what Disney is trying to avoid.

BTW, I'm sure Disney is loving this problem. They've created a ride that's this immensely popular--and deservedly so.

Right they were doing it and stopped. We can only guess it had to do with people coming earlier and earlier, leading to Disney having to let people in earlier and earlier, as well as BG being distributed before opening time and occasionally gone before posted opening, leading to pissed off guests.

Right they were doing it and stopped. We can only guess it had to do with people coming earlier and earlier, leading to Disney having to let people in earlier and earlier, as well as BG being distributed before opening time and occasionally gone before posted opening, leading to pissed off guests.
And I mean.... Disney is supposed to be for everyone. The only people who can really show up at 4 am are people without kids, so you’d have the ride running all day with no families getting on it. That’s very much sub-optimal from a Disney standpoint.

not really much more control then you have now. I suppose a little more... by getting there 2 hours early, trying not to get physically injured in a stampede.. to make sure you get a FastPass.
But even with the lottery — as long as you’re in the park by 8 (under your control), you know how to use the app (under your control), 99% of the time you should be able to get a primary boarding group. May be a morning group or an evening group. But even on the most crowded days, if you’re clicking in the first 30 seconds, you get a group.
(1% failure rate for total app crash)

And I mean.... Disney is supposed to be for everyone. The only people who can really show up at 4 am are people without kids, so you’d have the ride running all day with no families getting on it. That’s very much sub-optimal from a Disney standpoint.

Disney has been gearing more for adults lately. A dining plan that includes alcohol at every meal? Not very kid or family friendly.

not really much more control then you have now. I suppose a little more... by getting there 2 hours early, trying not to get physically injured in a stampede.. to make sure you get a FastPass.
But even with the lottery — as long as you’re in the park by 8 (under your control), you know how to use the app (under your control), 99% of the time you should be able to get a primary boarding group. May be a morning group or an evening group. But even on the most crowded days, if you’re clicking in the first 30 seconds, you get a group.
Absolutely not true. Helped my sister the other day.

Practiced from home lots ahead of time. In park by 7, 4 phones trying (2 from home) at 8 on the button. Did not get boarding passes. My sister reported that MAYBE 1/4 of the crowds around her got boarding passes, even though they were all trying at the exact same time. Our apps did not crash. Neither did 3/4's of the crowd's. Everyone was standing there desperately on their phones trying to get them at the same time and FAR from even the majority got a pass.

You are not even remotely guaranteed a pass on the most crowded days if you start clicking right away. On her day the passes (primary and back up) were gone in less than a minute.

Absolutely not true. Helped my sister the other day.

Practiced from home lots ahead of time. In park by 7, 4 phones trying (2 from home) at 8 on the button. Did not get boarding passes. My sister reported that MAYBE 1/4 of the crowds around her got boarding passes, even though they were all trying at the exact same time. Our apps did not crash. Neither did 3/4's of the crowd's. Everyone was standing there desperately on their phones trying to get them at the same time and FAR from even the majority got a pass.

You are not even remotely guaranteed a pass on the most crowded days if you start clicking right away. On her day the passes (primary and back up) were gone in less than a minute.

Yeah, that’s a narrative that needs to end. Lots of the superusers here manage to get them, but certainly not everyone, and we aren’t representative of the average person at Disney.

A few weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but with the recent trend of boarding groups being gone in less than a minute....definitely there are people not getting them and even those who "do everything right" may be shut out.

I think ... Bg’s will be better next week after the President’s week holiday
Then terrible the week MMRR opens
Then more terrible the following weeks of Spring Break
Yeah. Boarding groups will be available for an additional 5 seconds. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!