Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
Here's an idea, and maybe someone already mentioned this - I skipped over a few pages:

Open the park at 9 every morning instead of 8 or 7, but keep it open later so the hours aren't effectively decreased, just shifted a little. Keep the boarding group process exactly the same as it has been. Now, you're forcing people to choose ONE park to RD vs. "hey, we'll swing by DHS and grab a BG and then go on with our day at MK (or Epcot or AK) while we wait for our BG to get called." This could help reduce the number of people showing up every morning of their trip without punishing anyone who really wants to ride and is willing to give up other things in order to do so. No "lottery" system, no paid BG system, no limits to the number of rides per week or month, none of those other artificial limits people have suggested. Just a natural (potential) reduction in the stress on the system.

Here's an idea, and maybe someone already mentioned this - I skipped over a few pages:

Open the park at 9 every morning instead of 8 or 7, but keep it open later so the hours aren't effectively decreased, just shifted a little. Keep the boarding group process exactly the same as it has been. Now, you're forcing people to choose ONE park to RD vs. "hey, we'll swing by DHS and grab a BG and then go on with our day at MK (or Epcot or AK) while we wait for our BG to get called." This could help reduce the number of people showing up every morning of their trip without punishing anyone who really wants to ride and is willing to give up other things in order to do so. No "lottery" system, no paid BG system, no limits to the number of rides per week or month, none of those other artificial limits people have suggested. Just a natural (potential) reduction in the stress on the system.

If I were those people, I would still try for RotR but arrive at the second park an hour later. Not a big deal if you’ve got FP set up there and are planning to head back to DHS. But 9 AM is that much easier than 8 AM for the masses and more people in general would be there.

I think later openings create more problems, but I agree they need longer hours when crowds are heavy.

Unless the alcohol is for the kids, that doesn’t make it not family friendly.

The kids are charged for the alcohol but obviously not served it.
so that makes it less family friendly — be like saying all kids must pay for the cigarettes but can’t smoke them.

Even more so — actively encouraging inebriation for adults makes the park less family friendly. That’s why Walt’s parks were originally dry.

That would make it 100 times worse. Just as the 8am open is 100 times worse than the 7am open. Early opening limits guests, as not everyone can really get themselves there so early. The later you open, the easier it is to get there for opening, more people show up.

Absolutely not true. Helped my sister the other day.

Practiced from home lots ahead of time. In park by 7, 4 phones trying (2 from home) at 8 on the button. Did not get boarding passes. My sister reported that MAYBE 1/4 of the crowds around her got boarding passes, even though they were all trying at the exact same time. Our apps did not crash. Neither did 3/4's of the crowd's. Everyone was standing there desperately on their phones trying to get them at the same time and FAR from even the majority got a pass.

You are not even remotely guaranteed a pass on the most crowded days if you start clicking right away. On her day the passes (primary and back up) were gone in less than a minute.

but the question is, does it give you more or less control than a paper FastPass machine?
Where 12,000 people are racing at the same time for 5-10 fo machines?
assuming 10 machines ,and getting through 3 groups per minutes—so you could be at DHS at park open and still wait 6 hours on line for the fp machine. And you can wait on the line for FPs for 7 hours... but the FPs will run out before your turn.

The BG system isn’t perfect... but it actually gives everyone the best self-control of whether they get a FP without absurdity.

There are only 2 ways to improve the situation:
- increase capacity. Working out the bugs will help here, then they can give out more BGs

-decrease demand. Example: opening the park at 3am solely for BG distribution. Then closes at 3:15, reopening at regular time. So only families willing to show up briefly in the middle of the night get BGs. Total self-control — anybody willing to do it, will get a BG. But far less than 12,000 people would show up.
example— charge a $100 add on fee to experience ROTR. Again, decreasing the demand.

but as long as you only have about 12,000 spots for 35,000 people who want the spots... there is no good solution.

but the question is, does it give you more or less control than a paper FastPass machine?
Where 12,000 people are racing at the same time for 5-10 fo machines?
assuming 10 machines ,and getting through 3 groups per minutes—so you could be at DHS at park open and still wait 6 hours on line for the fp machine. And you can wait on the line for FPs for 7 hours... but the FPs will run out before your turn.

The BG system isn’t perfect... but it actually gives everyone the best self-control of whether they get a FP without absurdity.

There are only 2 ways to improve the situation:
- increase capacity. Working out the bugs will help here, then they can give out more BGs

-decrease demand. Example: opening the park at 3am solely for BG distribution. Then closes at 3:15, reopening at regular time. So only families willing to show up briefly in the middle of the night get BGs. Total self-control — anybody willing to do it, will get a BG. But far less than 12,000 people would show up.
example— charge a $100 add on fee to experience ROTR. Again, decreasing the demand.

but as long as you only have about 12,000 spots for 35,000 people who want the spots... there is no good solution.
No argument from me that the paper fastpass system would not be viable / safe.

Of the options mentioned in the poll, my vote is for traditional fp / standby queue or for a standby only. Long lines would reduce demand just because many guests wouldn't want to wait in a long line. I also feel that limiting guests to one boarding pass per week would help reduce demand.

But you are certainly correct that a stampede to paper fp machines would be bad.

No argument from me that the paper fastpass system would not be viable / safe.

Of the options mentioned in the poll, my vote is for traditional fp / standby queue or for a standby only. Long lines would reduce demand just because many guests wouldn't want to wait in a long line. I also feel that limiting guests to one boarding pass per week would help reduce demand.

But you are certainly correct that a stampede to paper fp machines would be bad.

you underestimate people's willingness to wait. It would def be 5+ hrs

you underestimate people's willingness to wait. It would def be 5+ hrs

Very much this. Flight of Passage averages 3 hours or more according to Touring Plans once the Crowd Level reaches 5, which happens quite frequently, I'd be stunned if Rise of the Resistance, a newer and more unique ride based on a more popular franchise, were to average less than that, and I would expect more. Much more.

I think when booking a resort package each family gets 1 boarding pass for each member with them. Off site guess can then use the current method for the remainders. If the onsite member isn't interested they are given 1 anytime FP for their party for any park. And before people cry foul this is exactly how DL handled GE entrance the first week(minus the free FP).

I think when booking a resort package each family gets 1 boarding pass for each member with them. Off site guess can then use the current method for the remainders. If the onsite member isn't interested they are given 1 anytime FP for their party for any park. And before people cry foul this is exactly how DL handled GE entrance the first week(minus the free FP).
There are around 30000 rooms at wdw, let's say each room has 2 guests. That's 60000
Right now the attraction is moving around 15000 guests a day
This won't work

Thats assuming all guests attend the exact same day right?
Yeah, if Disney would do this they would need to guarantee you can ride even with only one night stay, or else it's a PR issue, elitist, only catering to the rich, that sort of situation

Yeah, if Disney would do this they would need to guarantee you can ride even with only one night stay, or else it's a PR issue, elitist, only catering to the rich, that sort of situation

Don't packages have a three day minimum? Im not suggesting it with a resort stay only, so I'll correct myself, it's not exactly like DL and GE. But a guaranteed boarding pass with a vacation package.

Don't packages have a three day minimum? Im not suggesting it with a resort stay only, so I'll correct myself, it's not exactly like DL and GE. But a guaranteed boarding pass with a vacation package.
Still wouldn't work. Let's say a 3 day stay. Again with 60000 guests that would be 20000 a day, that's only counting 2 people per room
If Disney offered this they would need to guarantee ride for max occupancy per room, which in most cases is 4

They could do it as a package, "Stay X# nights and get a boarding group pass and some SW themed souvenir" - so you'd have to choose that instead of a room discount, free dining, etc.

But, if things keep going as well as they have been the past few days (a big IF, I know), I'm totally fine with them continuing with the current set-up for a while!

They could do it as a package, "Stay X# nights and get a boarding group pass and some SW themed souvenir" - so you'd have to choose that instead of a room discount, free dining, etc.

But, if things keep going as well as they have been the past few days (a big IF, I know), I'm totally fine with them continuing with the current set-up for a while!
They could, but this would make for a lot of unhappy customers. Like anyone with an AP, for example, who wouldn't need a ticket, which is part of a package.

How about half the expected capacity via FP+ and the rest using the current boarding pass process?

They could, but this would make for a lot of unhappy customers. Like anyone with an AP, for example, who wouldn't need a ticket, which is part of a package.

But the idea was that it could be one way of getting a boarding pass, not the only way, and whether it could reduce the number of people swarming HS every morning in a crush of humanity that isn't all that enjoyable. Surely there are many people that would be happy to take their one pass, build a day around it, and not bother with the park for the rest of their vacation.

I don't see it as particularly likely to happen, but it would be nice.

But the idea was that it could be one way of getting a boarding pass, not the only way, and whether it could reduce the number of people swarming HS every morning in a crush of humanity that isn't all that enjoyable. Surely there are many people that would be happy to take their one pass, build a day around it, and not bother with the park for the rest of their vacation.

I don't see it as particularly likely to happen, but it would be nice.
I see. I didn't understand what you meant--or, apologies, didn't read closely enough.
Well, yes, it'd certainly be a moneymaker for WDW, but would it reduce the crowds? Hard to say, since, for example, AH events haven't done anything to alleviate crowding, although I realize that's not really comparable. And for sure the CL FP+ 90-day program hasn't alleviated crowds or FP+-getting either.

The real answer is that WDW needs to build at least 3 other attractions that are as amazing as RotR. That would really help things. I think. Either that or it'd create madness at 4 rides instead of just 1!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter